Nikon Small World

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
Elapid

Nikon Small World

#1 Post by Elapid » Sun May 02, 2021 12:27 pm

I’m curious about people’s experiences and opinions about the Nikon Small World competition. I first learned about it 3 years ago when the exhibit came to Indianapolis and I had the chance to view it. My daughter works at the museum where it was hung and she got me in free. I wonder how many members of this forum have entered it or plan to enter, and what their experiences have been. Do people think it’s fairly judged? Are the entry rules fair? Do people become disenchanted or cynical if their entries aren’t chosen? I notice that about half of the top winners use confocal microscopy. Presumably they aren’t amateurs at microscopy, considering the cost of a confocal setup is more than many Porsches, not many confocal scopes in peoples basement labs.
I also wonder how many members have seen the actual in-the-flesh exhibit hanging in one of the locations. The prints are very uniform so they must be done by Nikon, right?

DonSchaeffer

Re: Nikon Small World

#2 Post by DonSchaeffer » Sun May 02, 2021 2:32 pm

I've been lobbying our local photography club to recognize photomicroscopy as a genuine branch of photography. I often site this exhibit as part of my argument.

Elapid

#3 Post by Elapid » Sun May 02, 2021 4:11 pm

A very valid point, Don. In fact, if you read the criteria Nikon posts for judging the entries it turns out that originality and aesthetics play a large role. And some of the winners with the most lifetime wins, like Krebs, were also great landscape and wildlife photographers. I don’t mean to imply that winning is the main goal of the exhibit. Just having ones entry accepted and hung in the show with all those other stunning photomicrographs would be reward enough for me.

DonSchaeffer

#4 Post by DonSchaeffer » Sun May 02, 2021 7:11 pm

Me too. I can't dream that high.