Philosophical Question for the day

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
MichaelG.

Philosophical Question for the day

#1 Post by MichaelG. » Sat May 22, 2021 9:55 am

Is this good, important, Science ... or just a bunch of ‘grown-ups’ behaving like cruel children ?
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180977784/

We know that Tardigrades are amazing ... but they really needed to check what it takes to destroy them.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

DrPhoxinus

Re: Philosophical Question for the day

#2 Post by DrPhoxinus » Sat May 22, 2021 11:51 am

I never meet a tardigrade I didn’t like.

Gerard

Greg Howald

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Sat May 22, 2021 6:51 pm

It is good. It is important. It is science. If it is good, important and science to you.
Greg

Sabatini

#4 Post by Sabatini » Sun May 23, 2021 3:07 pm

;)...It may be a deep Holiwoodian fear of a possible extraterrestrial invasion.

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Sun May 23, 2021 6:12 pm

MichaelG. wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 9:55 am
Is this good, important, Science ... or just a bunch of ‘grown-ups’ behaving like cruel children ?
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180977784/

We know that Tardigrades are amazing ... but they really needed to check what it takes to destroy them.

MichaelG.
It has to do with the location of the detachment border that the enquirer places within the inquiry and the relationship the enquirer feels towards the subject, or an observer, plus the perceived usefulness of the experiment.
Some German's exposed lichens to space for 8 days to see if they could survive, and they did. That probably wouldn't be considered too bad a torture by most people but possibly of dubious value but the end to the means of both experiments would seem to be pointing towards something similar. I'm pretty sure Chandra Wickramasinghe, Curtis Suttle and Brett Gladman are interested in the results of both experiments.