How really safe is a laser pointer ? new findings

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
Hobbyst46

How really safe is a laser pointer ? new findings

#1 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:08 pm

I found the Off-Topic section locked (perhaps my ignorance) so I hope that the following will be OK in this topic.

A recent post about the utility of laser pointers for the diagnosis of objective malfunction turned my attention to this recent publication:
"Rare high-powered imaging enables detailed look at individual retinal cells"
https://news.osu.edu/pet-laser-pointers ... f-the-eye/

Naturally for the well-educated and careful forum members this is not highly relevant, but might as well be mentioned.

MichaelG.

Re: How really safe is a laser pointer ? new findings

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:39 pm

Always worth mentioning an article which concludes:
But it’s never going to fully heal,” Davidorf said. “There will always be scarring there.”
Thanks for sharing the link.
MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Dubious

#3 Post by Dubious » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:54 pm

A useful cautionary tale. These inexpensive laser diode pointers, sold freely everywhere, can easily fall into the hands of kids who don't know any better, or who dare each other to do stupid things. Using them as toys for cats is, I think, a mistake, encouraging the wrong behavior. As the article illustrates, no person (or pet) should look into a laser beam--even from an underpowered MW device--even momentarily.

hans

#4 Post by hans » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:17 pm

I wonder if they were able to measure the output power of the one that caused the damage? I have read that laser pointers can be more powerful than advertised, either poorly controlled manufacturing or intentionally mislabeled to avoid regulation.

farnsy

#5 Post by farnsy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:08 am

My wife bought one for use with the cat and I emphasized with great seriousness to my kids that they should never point it at anyone, nor at the cat's eyes. They seemed to get it, but I later found my 9 year old pointing it at his eye through a mirror--he felt like that was a nice loophole in my instructions.

I threw it away. No more kids in my house will use lasers of any kind for anything until the youngest is old enough to really, really understand the danger. Probably when he's a teenager.

microb

#6 Post by microb » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:07 pm

Cheap green laser will not have an IR filter. Inside they convert from 808nm to 532nm, and a spectrometer will show both peeks. The IR frequency is especially not eye safe.

This video shows how to test without a spectrometer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR1Ku5dnbH8

So if you are cooking your sample with a green laser light, this is why.

MichaelG.

#7 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:10 pm

microb wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:07 pm
Cheap green laser will not have an IR filter. […]

This video shows how to test without a spectrometer:
Interesting and useful link …Thanks

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'