Open source microscope

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
smollerthings

Open source microscope

#1 Post by smollerthings » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:48 am

Anyone has tried this?

I was thinking it would probably not be that hard (I don't know actually, not smart enough) to interface it with openCV and create an auto follow, auto focusing microscope. How cool would that be? You click on a subject and go for lunch and then have a couple of hours of footage from the same critter to see what it is doing.

MicroBob

Re: Open source microscope

#2 Post by MicroBob » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:39 pm

I haven't tried it but I think that there is a lot of potential in the combination of a basic automated microscope and computer software. No need for low power objectives, automated capture of photos for stacking and stitching. Perhaps a common lab microscope like a Biolam would be an even better basis for such a project than the plastic stand.

iconoclastica

#3 Post by iconoclastica » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:27 pm

MicroBob wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:39 pm
Perhaps a common lab microscope like a Biolam would be an even better basis for such a project than the plastic stand.
I did consider the open microscope (must have been an earlier version) when I started out becoming serious. Even though I had access to a 3d printing facility, I decided against it. 3D printing can do the mechanical parts and as such, by far not as finely machined as traditional fine mechanics do. The extruded material is plastic (metal printing is VERY expensive) and prone to deformation when it gets hot (your lamps...). Finally, the mechanical parts are not really expensive on the 2nd hand market, so why bother?
Since, I have found that 3d printing is an excellent tool though for making foreign parts fit, such as Olympus condensers on a Nikon. But you'll have to train your spatial designer skills and that's sometime frustrating albeit rewarding when it does work.

Dubious

#4 Post by Dubious » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:09 pm

If interested in open source 3d-printed microscopes, take a look at the PUMA (Portable Upgradeable Modular Affordable), which is modular and upgradable and has a few intriguing features such as "TFT-based spatial light modulator enabling advanced methods such as Schlieren phase contrast (which allows visualisation of fluid flow inside a live cell, for example) and a heads-up display for making measurements from the sample."

https://hackaday.com/2021/09/09/highly- ... n-freecad/

For those who don't want to bother with 3d printing, the PUMA Foundation Scope can be purchased as a kit from a UK company:

https://www.optarc.co.uk/products/puma-products/

zzffnn

#5 Post by zzffnn » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:18 am

Dubious wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:09 pm
For those who don't want to bother with 3d printing, the PUMA Foundation Scope can be purchased as a kit from a UK company:

https://www.optarc.co.uk/products/puma-products/
Thank you. This seems to be the perfect portable field microscope that I have been searching for!

So if I buy it from USA, all I need to do is assembling it (once I pay and receive it)?

How heavy is the assembled product?

I noticed purchase link says there is no condenser included. But the pdf link the web page provides specifies a condenser.

How can I obtain that condenser package?

Thank you very much!!

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:25 pm

I would be very interested in reports from real microscopists on building and using these instruments. How do they compare with comon lab microscopes, how well thought out is the design.
Such a microscope can form a common basis for development of technical add-ons as everyone could have the same basis to work on.

smollerthings

#7 Post by smollerthings » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:56 pm

Dubious wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:09 pm
If interested in open source 3d-printed microscopes, take a look at the PUMA (Portable Upgradeable Modular Affordable), which is modular and upgradable and has a few intriguing features such as "TFT-based spatial light modulator enabling advanced methods such as Schlieren phase contrast (which allows visualisation of fluid flow inside a live cell, for example) and a heads-up display for making measurements from the sample."
Very nice project. It is philosophically different than openflexure which aims to be able to control the sample location and focus electronically.
MicroBob wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:39 pm
Perhaps a common lab microscope like a Biolam would be an even better basis for such a project than the plastic stand.
I was thinking the same thing. Given the low price point of student microscopes, it wouldn't be that hard to add actuators to them and make them fully programmable.