Electronic Front-Curtain Shutter

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
75RR

Electronic Front-Curtain Shutter

#1 Post by 75RR » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:31 am

Article on Electronic Front-Curtain Shutter

https://photographylife.com/what-is-ele ... in-shutter
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MichaelG.

Re: Electronic Front-Curtain Shutter

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:23 am

Excellent … thanks for the link.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Dubious

#3 Post by Dubious » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:11 pm

Thanks for posting.

The article reminds me of a question I have on shutter shock: To what extent will the in-body image stabilization offered in some of the newer cameras help with this? Since in-body image stabilization works by moving the sensor to compensate for camera shake, unless I'm missing something, it seems it should work to reduce shutter shock. Does anyone know?

(Note that there are a number of cameras with EFCS not on the article's list, including my Canon EOS 550D / T2i, so if yours is not there, it might be worthwhile investigating further.)

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:26 am

Dubious wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:11 pm
The article reminds me of a question I have on shutter shock: To what extent will the in-body image stabilization offered in some of the newer cameras help with this? Since in-body image stabilization works by moving the sensor to compensate for camera shake, unless I'm missing something, it seems it should work to reduce shutter shock. Does anyone know?
I have read that it should not be used when the camera is on a tripod (or otherwise fixed) as it can make things worse.

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:36 am

75RR wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:26 am
Dubious wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:11 pm
I have read that it should not be used when the camera is on a tripod (or otherwise fixed) as it can make things worse.
I also read this a long while ago 75' - the theory/fact is that the stabilisation effectively 'hunts for vibrations and corrections' thus actually causing them when there are non such as on a tripod-mount....
John B

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:48 pm

I think these stabilizers can cope with a certain range of frequencys and amplitudes. A swaying mivement on a tripod in the wind may be within their limits, but quick, fast ending movements may lead to over correction. What would I expect when used to compensate shutter shock? It might patially help at longer exposures, but will probably not correct the short knock of the moving shutter. I is also a question of dependability - do I want a setup that works well most of the time but I don't know the times when it doesn't work?

mete

#7 Post by mete » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:02 pm

I didnt check much as I disabled the stabilization but I saw on a Panasonic camera you can also configure or give a directional hint for the stabilization, eg movement is only horizontal.

75RR

#8 Post by 75RR » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:06 am

mete wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:02 pm
I didnt check much as I disabled the stabilization but I saw on a Panasonic camera you can also configure or give a directional hint for the stabilization, eg movement is only horizontal.
That function is for panning (following with your handheld camera action that takes place across your field of view.) Not designed to dampen shutter vibration in a static camera.