transport of a heavy microscope - how to handle it?

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
ewieckow

transport of a heavy microscope - how to handle it?

#1 Post by ewieckow » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:19 pm

I would like to ask you for the brainstorming related to the frequent transport of my Olympus BH-2 14 kg microscope. I am very petite and after many abdominal surgeries. For my professional activity, I need to move the microscope from home to car and to schools and back again. I am trying to find a way that will allow me to transport the microscope as ergonomically as possible.
For now, I came up with the idea of looking for a chest for it and attaching arms to it, such as in a military backpack. The second idea is a transport box on a stair cart, but dragging up the stairs also scares me. Does any of you have any other interesting ideas?

Dubious

Re: transport of a heavy microscope - how to handle it?

#2 Post by Dubious » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:46 pm

Do you often have to climb stairs? Another idea might be spinner wheel luggage or similar--you might be able to find something in the right size with a hard shell ideal for protecting the scope. But luggage tends to have small wheels that are more suited to airports than stairs or varied surfaces.

Personally, I don't think I would want to carry a microscope in any kind of backpack, for fear it would pull me over if something went wrong.

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:13 pm

IMHO, no job or career is worth the health problems that are likely to develop from frequent transport of a 14 Kg weight microscope (maybe more, if it is in a case). And taking out in each location, lifting to place on a bench/desk, lowering back to the case, mounting on the cart, lifting to load into the luggage space of a car (or into a train). The most likely problem is lower back pains, and other spine issues. It can happen even to big and muscular men.

So, unfortunately and probably contrary to an expected suggestion, I would strongly suggest finding a light weight microscope (even if of much less quality than the BH-2) for use on the road.

Alternatively, a less appropriate option would be to carry the microscope in parts : say, the head and condenser (and external illuminator if any) in one case, the stand and lenses in another case, each case on its spinner-wheel luggage cart. Assemble them on site. Take apart when done and ready for the road.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:06 pm

I keep one microscope (an even larger and heavier Olympus inverted scope) in a hard-sided luggage case. Main plus is that it (just barely) fits inside. Three minor drawbacks are: (1) the luggage doesn't really have a flat bottom and sides to match the base of the scope; (2) I think you'd find it hard to lift the hard case with the scope in it up to a table - and then the scope (now laid sideways) out of the case; and (3) the wheels are a bit small to navigate stairs or uneven ground.

An Olympus BH2 (but not a BHS) will fit one of these fairly well built but light cases: https://www.amazon.com/Walter-Products- ... 7160&psc=1

In combination with a luggage cart like this it might be an option: https://www.amazon.com/Voluker-Portable ... 130&sr=8-3 The dolly stays on the floor. The case has a handle on top to be lifted (maybe with some help) and then just slides out of the front of the case.

Your Olympus scope could likely drop a bit of weight if you stripped out the old power supply components and converted it to LED.

deBult

#5 Post by deBult » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:17 am

I stopped trying to transport the BH2 and added a CH2 to my artillery, really appreciate the little one.
It is now equipped with a phase condenser and LED (the later saves additional weight), it is transported (I’m on public transport) in a small flight case with some extra padding. Approx 6-7 kg including the case.

A standard CH2 soft case exists, have not seen it on this side of the pond (Europe). The plastic CH2 hard case is not suitable for transport other than by car.

I tried a photo soft case back pack, but the phase condenser did not appreciate that one. A hard photo case with straps might be an option, the good ones are a bit pricey though.

Actually I often prefer using the CH2 at the home base as well.

The only disadvantage is it only takes 4 objectives, still have to try and adapt a 5 piece revolver to it.
Last edited by deBult on Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:44 am, edited 5 times in total.

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:22 am

I agree with Hobbyst146. The Olympus BHT-2 at 14 kg. might just be too big an instrument . You did not elaborate whether the microscope has extra accessories such as D.I.C. , phase or perhaps epi illumination but if it is just a BF microscope you could do just as well by downscaling to a smaller microscope that while it might not give you exact BF performance, would after a short period of accomodation be very close, if not better.

Dubious

#7 Post by Dubious » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:13 am

If lifting the microscope to/from the car or table is part of the problem, there are lift dollys you could use in conjunction with a case, that will let you crank it up and down. Unfortunately, most are much larger (and heavier) than what you need. You'd need to locate a smaller one made of aluminum and might need to get it customized by a machine shop. Worth it, though, if it saves your back.
Last edited by Dubious on Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Jones

#8 Post by Tom Jones » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:46 am

Don't try to carry it all the time. It's too big and too awkward. With that much weight in front of you, it's hard on your back, and stairs will be very dangerous. You will get hurt.

I have seven BHTU's, two of which are trinocs, that I transport for outreach events. Six are fitted upright, in custom ABS plastic carrying boxes I made, lined with 1" of stiff foam on all sides except the top. There is a suitcase-style handle on the top of each one. One is an original Olympus suitcase-style case on it's side. All are heavy and none are easy to move around or carry up stairs. I have to carry each up and down stairs for each outreach event, as my store room is upstairs and there is no elevator.

I move them around with a hand truck or cart. Have someone make something like a padded airline baggage cart with large wheels to carry the microscope and the other bits you'll need.

josmann

#9 Post by josmann » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:47 am

Hit the gym! :lol:

I would definitely hold onto your BHS for home use, but a BHT stand would be significantly smaller (although not that much lighter) and maybe give you more options for a backpack. You could swap the objective turret between them easily and the regular halogen lamp on the BHT is still definitely bright enough for a camera if that's how you use it in the schools. Only issue is finding one!

Jason
The highest quality live-streamed microscopy in the world.
Sundays around 8PST: https://www.youtube.com/@diettoms/streams
Occasionally (for now): https://www.twitch.tv/diettoms

Join the Discord: https://discord.gg/FgpUUnJaSE

ewieckow

#10 Post by ewieckow » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:41 pm

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ANSWERS!

Currently, I have to start a business relying on OLYMPUS BHSU.
When I solve the transportation issues and other shortcomings I have.

Tom Jones, could you show me your transport solutions in the photos? A lightweight ABS case is what I'm looking for!

ewieckow

#11 Post by ewieckow » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:00 pm

Does any of you have a proven model of a transport trolley or a trolley with a lift and could recommend a (internet? Model?)? I ask because many of these strollers are said to fail to fulfill their purpose, get rickety, creak and are not really well made to transport even those 14 + 4 kg

Tom Jones

#12 Post by Tom Jones » Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:35 pm

ewieckow,

As you requested, here are the two I use. The first is a custom one I built out of 1/4" ABS plastic glued together, and 1" urethane foam (I think). The foam is pretty stiff and is glued in place with 3M 77 adhesive. Any slots or holes needed, like for the lamp house, were routed out. Notice too, the floor of the case has another piece of 1/4" ABS to protect the foam from abrasion when I move the scopes in or out. They can be transported upright, or laying down. There is NO protection at the top as the dovetails for the heads are way to weak to support the load.

The second case is the suitcase type. I believe this is direct from Olympus. I've seen a few of them around on eBay but not for a long time. Notice the foam is NOT pick and pluck junk that is way too soft.

Tom
2022-03-06 16.06.57-2.jpg
2022-03-06 16.06.57-2.jpg (263.23 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
2022-03-06 16.07.25-2.jpg
2022-03-06 16.07.25-2.jpg (240.04 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
2022-03-06 16.08.40-2.jpg
2022-03-06 16.08.40-2.jpg (225.95 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
2022-03-06 16.09.12-2.jpg
2022-03-06 16.09.12-2.jpg (175.38 KiB) Viewed 5506 times

ewieckow

#13 Post by ewieckow » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:25 pm

Tom Jones wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:35 pm
ewieckow,

As you requested, here are the two I use. The first is a custom one I built out of 1/4" ABS plastic glued together, and 1" urethane foam (I think). The foam is pretty stiff and is glued in place with 3M 77 adhesive. Any slots or holes needed, like for the lamp house, were routed out. Notice too, the floor of the case has another piece of 1/4" ABS to protect the foam from abrasion when I move the scopes in or out. They can be transported upright, or laying down. There is NO protection at the top as the dovetails for the heads are way to weak to support the load.

The second case is the suitcase type. I believe this is direct from Olympus. I've seen a few of them around on eBay but not for a long time. Notice the foam is NOT pick and pluck junk that is way too soft.

Tom

2022-03-06 16.06.57-2.jpg

2022-03-06 16.07.25-2.jpg

2022-03-06 16.08.40-2.jpg

2022-03-06 16.09.12-2.jpg
What glue should be used for gluing ABS boards?
Thank you SO much!

Tom Jones

#14 Post by Tom Jones » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:14 pm

ewieckow

#15 Post by ewieckow » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:28 am

Tom Jones wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:14 pm
I used "Weld-On 4SC".
On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/SCIGRIP-Adhesive ... ast_sto_dp
Thank you!

annissteversonfir57

#16 Post by annissteversonfir57 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:18 pm

ewieckow wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:19 pm
I would like to ask you for the brainstorming related to the frequent transport of my Olympus BH-2 14 kg microscope. I am very petite and after many abdominal surgeries. For my professional activity, I need to move the microscope from home to car and to schools and back again. I am trying to find a way that will allow me to transport the microscope as ergonomically as possible.
For now, I came up with the idea of looking for a chest for it and attaching arms to it, such as in a military backpack. The second idea is a transport box on a stair cart, but dragging up the stairs also scares me. Does any of you have any other interesting ideas?
I have one idea. There are special boxes with handles just for things like a microscope. I once read about transportation, used https://writix.com/essay-examples/transportation for this and there I subtracted this. I already ordered one for myself. I'm waiting for the package to arrive in the mail. Reviews about her are positive.
There is a box with handles special for microscopes. The photo in the store looks cool and comfortable.
Last edited by annissteversonfir57 on Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dennis

#17 Post by Dennis » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:32 pm

Inside microscope box fill voids with bubble wrap.

-Dennis

woyjwjl

#18 Post by woyjwjl » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:36 am

Tom Jones wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:35 pm
ewieckow,

Tom
A very good solution!

I assume you have a DIY workshop?
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange

Tom Jones

#19 Post by Tom Jones » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:32 am

I assume you have a DIY workshop?
That I do. Not as complete as I'd like, but whose is? :roll: