I'm gonna buy a PZO DIC set, I need help.

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
WaterGoblin

I'm gonna buy a PZO DIC set, I need help.

#1 Post by WaterGoblin » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:06 pm

Hello, I am planning to buy a PZO DIC set.
(KPI2 condenser, KPI2, and it comes with the nosepiece turret and basic objectives)
I found a post and video of how it's possible to install those DIC parts on an Olympus Bh2 so that's porbably what I'm gonna do.

Right now I'm trying to choose what objectives I'm gonna use instead of the stock ones.
I found this post (https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... php?t=2867) and now I am a bit confused:
I used to think that you can't just use any numerical aperture objectives with DIC, and that I had to find objectives with the same NA as the ones that are supposed to be used with that DIC set.
If the NA doesn't have to match I can use ANY 160mm objective I want? If no, then what would be the best obejctive I can use?

apochronaut

Re: I'm gonna buy a PZO DIC set, I need help.

#2 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:24 pm

The PZO DIC system can accomplish 5 different interference contrast methods. There are a couple of different condensers, one with prisms and one with an adjustable slit, plus an interference head and standard objectives as well as objectives with integrated prisms.
I think the integrated prism objectives are primarily for shearing but I haven't used my system enough to be sure of that. I can check on that early next week since I have the manual.

As far as setting one up on a BH2, I know little about that. I would definitely follow any instructions from those that have.
The PZO planachro objectives are quite good, if that is what you have but probably limited to an 18mm f.o.v. I haven't pushed them beyond that. It may be difficult to find too many others that will work in the system because of the built in correcting optics in the interference head. I know that the PZO objectives are persnickety as to eyepiece correction but it does provide adjustment in the Z plane, so maybe there are more possibilities . I have hard that the corrections are similar to Zeiss 160mm but I don't know whether east or west

WaterGoblin

#3 Post by WaterGoblin » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:53 pm

The first listing I found looked like a scam, I found this one instead: https://www.olx.ua/d/uk/obyavlenie/pzo- ... derIndex=7
It has the same components as the first listing except it actually comes with a microscope.

You mentioned there can be 5 different interference contrast methods, I don't understand what exactly that means. These objectives don't seem to have integrated prisms as the prisms are probably located in the upper MPI5 module.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:30 pm

I've played around porting a PZO DIC system to Olympus BH2 and also a Zeiss WL. I've also used the prisms in another PZO condenser to match up (sort of) with an Olympus top slider. It's been long enough ago that I don't remember all the details. Three that I do recall:

1) You'll want to pay attention to getting the proper 160mm tube length when splicing the PZO head to a BH2. I recall having to machine some spacers from the PZO intermediate to the stand and from the PZO intermediate to the Olympus head to keep things reasonably parfocal.

2) As a rough guide, objectives with the same numerical aperture are good candidates for a match. However, it's not a guarantee, given the back focal planes may not line up. You'll have to experiment -- and may get either a bit of banding or not quite as dark a potential background as an fully OEM system.

3) I really liked having a 20mm FN rather than 18mm - one limitation of the PZO objectives noted by Phil (above). The PZO coatings are also not quite up to modern standards.