The Start-up Blues

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
Crater Eddie

The Start-up Blues

#1 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:37 am

Tonight I collected a fresh sample of algae from the local creek, about half a liter of nice thick filamentous algae. That went into an empty gallon pickle jar (yes, we like pickles), and topped off with collected rain water. Holding the new culture up to the light I could just see a multitude of tiny whatsits dashing about... oh yeah, time to head for the microscope!
So I prepped a slide, placed it on the stage, and turned on the supply for my nifty home brewed LED system for the first time since last spring and... POP!
The LED blew.
Now I'll have to take the lamp house apart and re-install the old halogen bulb.
Tomorrow.
<Sigh>

CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

gekko

Re: The Start-up Blues

#2 Post by gekko » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:30 am

Sorry for the misadventure with your microscope light, but that you can fix, and then we can all enjoy the variety of critters you have in your gallon pickle jar (pickles are good for you :) ).

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:30 pm

So I prepped a slide, placed it on the stage, and turned on the supply for my nifty home brewed LED system for the first time since last spring and... POP!
The LED blew.
Sorry to hear that. Hope you are up and running soon. Any idea as to why that happened?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Crater Eddie

#4 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:59 pm

I'm not entirely sure. It popped when I connected the wires to the supply battery, from the caps on the board suddenly charging I thought. But then when I turned it on and up... nothing. I temporarily connected the halogen bulb to the output of the controller and it worked, so I know the controller is ok. I might have to order a replacement LED, that might have been my last one, as I remember popping one or two in putting it all together for the first time. I'll have to dig all that stuff back out. In the mean time, I'll just use the old bulb for a while. I hope to play with it some tonight.
Ce
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

einman

#5 Post by einman » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:00 pm

Sorry about that!