Snow.

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
apochronaut

Snow.

#1 Post by apochronaut » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:31 pm

Dennis

Re: Snow.

#2 Post by Dennis » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:40 pm

apochronaut,

You reminded me of this-
Wilson Bentley snow photographs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson_Bentley

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:11 pm

Yes. And glass plate negative photomicrographs no less.

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:10 pm

Thanks for pointing out this fascinating subject!

charlie g

#5 Post by charlie g » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:08 am

Terrific subject, so close to my world experience..where I have lived in NY/USA. But right off..I sense it useless to state: 'each snow flake comprized of 100,000 water droplets'...why in a fascinating treatment of our historic to current understanding of ice crystals, frost, snow flakes...why throw out a totally unsubstantiated ...reckless statement: 'each snowflake comprized of 100,000 water droplets'?!!

Why in the sub-link ( ?hypertext it called in old days), why does this 'snow-flake physicist ' sate: " I don't use a computer"..when the entire sublink is computer animation. Of course this good physicist uses a computer.

Sublimation is the process totally ignored in this presentation...and sublimation occurs one molecule of water at a time..why this nonsense about: 'water droplets'..no concept of how many water molecules comprize a 'water droplet'.

Fog is also a dreadful form of water 'vapor' I have survived over the years where I live. I sense the historic aspects of this wonderful posted thread are terrific...but the totally reckless and sloppy coments tossed in ( by the journalist, and by the physicist himself)...make this thread a charming 'puff piece'.

What bearing on our natural world does a physicist cooking up permutations of water crystal growth in his 'test tube'? Very sloppy science in this 'snow flake expert's' pitch.

And the title header by the journalist frustates audience by never clearly communicating findings: 'are all snow flakes unique'? very little snow ( lot's of rain) so far in finger lakes/US Healthy new year to all, charlie g

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:59 am

I am pretty sure the answer to the droplet question is in the snowflake, with droplets of various sizes contributing to a crystal and depending on the type of crystal, which is determined by several factors including temperature. Check out snowcrystals.com where they are real snow it alls.