Wilson Bentley Ice Flowers

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
Dennis

Wilson Bentley Ice Flowers

#1 Post by Dennis » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:21 pm

Well I am a Christian so I read "Our Daily Bread" and today's (Saturday February 13, 2016 is called "Ice Flowers," and mentions Wilson Bentley.

So I Googled him up and saw his microscope photographs which he started taking in 1885.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson_Bentley

We do have fresh snow here from last night but I don't think I'll try anything this time around.

It would be interesting to see if anyone published a book of snowflake photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Dennis

P.S.
From Our Daily Bread-
There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them.

1 Corinthians 12:4

Fifteen-year-old Wilson Bentley was captivated by the intricate beauty of snowflakes. He looked with fascination through an old microscope his mother had given him and made hundreds of sketches of their remarkable designs, but they melted too quickly to adequately capture their detail. Several years later, in 1885, he had an idea. He attached a bellows camera to the microscope and, after much trial and error, took his first picture of a snowflake. During his lifetime Bentley would capture 5,000 snowflake images and each one was a unique design. He described them as “tiny miracles of beauty” and “ice flowers.”

.....Christian write up.........

Dennis

Re: Wilson Bentley Ice Flowers

#2 Post by Dennis » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:31 pm

Google search "Wilson Bentley ice flowers" and choose "images"
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here is one so great-

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ ... ey-120.jpg

Oh you can buy the book !

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_ ... Caps%2C195

-Dennis

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:22 pm

Hi,Dennis. I never tried it , but often thought about image captures of snow flakes.

As a collector of all sorts of microscopes...I have quite a few sturdy stands which I could leave overnight in the open wood shed...and then take a point and shoot camera out for a quick image capture.

I just don't have the heart to so treat my microscopes! charlie guevara who oftem thought about snow flake image captures.

KurtM

#4 Post by KurtM » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:08 pm

Here ya go, an old favorite website of mine: http://snowcrystals.com/

I'm a gulf coast Texan. We take your word for it that these things exist. :?
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

Dennis

#5 Post by Dennis » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:11 am

The snow was coming down here again today in NJ.

I could take my worst scope and use a LED push light and I have a covered porch, but couldn't get them photographed with my USB camera.

If a person tried and succeeded I bet it might blow your mind out and you might get "hooked" on it!

A lot of videos on youtube. Here is a good one-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptLmA263hlk

-Dennis

gekko

#6 Post by gekko » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:22 pm

Thank you, Dale: a fascinating but very difficult subject for imaging.

charlie

#7 Post by charlie » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:12 pm

Thanks for the links Dale,

As tempting as it is to try to imitate and pretty as the images are, mine is a warm weather microscope; as is the operator. :-)

Dennis

#8 Post by Dennis » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:31 pm

I didn't say anything for one post saying I was Dale,
But now there is two.
Dennis is not Dale.

No biggie.

-Dennis

gekko

#9 Post by gekko » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:03 am

Dennis wrote:I didn't say anything for one post saying I was Dale,
But now there is two.
Dennis is not Dale.

No biggie.

-Dennis
My sincere apologies, Dennis :oops:    :oops: I did mean Dale, of course. Sorry again.

charlie g

#10 Post by charlie g » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:39 am

It's funny...I leave my 6" achro SkyWatcher refractor telescope in an un heated out building...yet I am chicken to ruin a microscope when I have all sorts of student microscopes coming out of my...well, never mind.

Were I to do it, Dennis, (Sat,2/13/16 colder than -21 degrees F here, Sunday till about 10 am...steady -21 degrees F here)...I wonder what simple crossed POL illumination would display snow flakes as?

And DF of snowflakes? hope all are warm and comfy, charlie guevara
Last edited by charlie g on Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlie

#11 Post by charlie » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:42 am

gekko wrote:
Dennis wrote:I didn't say anything for one post saying I was Dale,
But now there is two.
Dennis is not Dale.

No biggie.

-Dennis
My sincere apologies, Dennis :oops:    :oops: I did mean Dale, of course. Sorry again.
What gekko said!

lol, and now another lemming :-) Sorry Dennis

Oliver

#12 Post by Oliver » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:08 am

If you wanto to take pictures of snowflakes, there is a simple yet effective method. I tried this several years ago. Trial and error needed.
Cool nailpolish to below freezing temperature and apply to a slide. Then allow snow to fall on it to make an impression in the nail polish. Allow the nail polish to dry in the cold environment (takes longer than at room temperature). When nail polish is hard, allow snow to melt and evaporate. Observe without cover glass.

The other method of directly observing snow requires you to move the whole microscope to the cold, and then there is condensation forming when it is moved back into the room, and which causes thermal expansion and shrinkigng of parts (I do not know if this is a problem).

Oliver.
Image Oliver Kim - http://www.microbehunter.com - Microscopes: Olympus CH40 - Olympus CH-A - Breukhoven BMS student microscope - Euromex stereo - uSCOPE MXII

charlie g

#13 Post by charlie g » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:19 pm

Wow, Oliver...your nail polish method sounds great...I'm giving it a try! thanks for the tip! Charlie Guevara...I think i't in 20's F now .

charlie g

#14 Post by charlie g » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:20 pm

You said 'it worked for you'...but I just can't see snow flakes sinking into the vicous nail polish goo. I trying it though. Charlie guevara

Dennis

#15 Post by Dennis » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:02 pm

I saw a few websites talking about hair spray.

I do not have nail polish or hairspray. Well actually I do have nail polish- lacquer sealer or lacquer .

hmmm.

So far it is 20 degrees out and snowing like a dog so I am like a kid running through the house with the slides only to view water drops under the microscope.

LED push light so no heat but like 65 degrees inside. I guess I could forgo the USB camera and take the scope outside.

Hold on......
OK out on the porch now.....I am starting to see them. Most look like fern leaves so far.
Wait I SEEN ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10X was too high, 4X works good.

-Dennis

charlie g

#16 Post by charlie g » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:43 pm

It sounds like blow by blow microscopy 'ice fishing', Dennis! I promise to myself ( so no forum folk hold me to it) to try Olivers nail polish protocol! Charlie guevara

zzffnn

#17 Post by zzffnn » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:47 pm

Please do report back, with photos, if possible. Thank you very much! People in the south, like Kurt and I, won't have chance to try it at all.