Leica DM 2500 LED

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
absolute fan

Leica DM 2500 LED

#1 Post by absolute fan » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:20 am

Hi all!

I joined the forum last summer and I expressed interest in reigniting my microscopy hobby. Sort of like a full circle, I started the hobby as an early teen with a simple monocular microscope with a 15X eyepiece and a single 10X objective described as a "student microscope". A few short years after that I had unlimited access to binocular microscopes with rotating head and various objectives. Same in med school a bit later. I remember vividly the endless fascination with the micro universe laid bare on the microscope slide and the countless hours spent observing it and marveling at the optics and the mechanics that made that possible.
Fast forward to present, a few decades later. Though I had very seriously considered it in the past, my chosen profession does not entail working with microscopes though it benefits greatly from others looking at specimens and sending me their findings. That's fine, though. A hobbyist enjoys freedoms that a professional having to use the object of our desire - a microscope or a camera or a telescope - for busy repetitive boring work simply cannot.
Full circle. A couple of years ago I decided to pursue this hobby once again.
I looked at different brands. Almost bought the Accu Scope EXC-500, I believe, their massive top of the line. Loved its looks but hated the lack of expandability and, ultimately, decided to go with one of the big four.
Nikon, Olympus, Zeiss, Leica. I didn't start with a brand preference or allegiance.
Now I do have a preference, for Leica.
The only reason I chose Leica last year, at a time when I could've chosen any of the big 4, was entirely based on customer service, responsiveness and time that the dealer was willing to spend answering my many questions.
Microscope Central. Great customer service that earned my business. Willingness to customize my choice. Willingness to allow me to backtrack and come up with another, better for me choice. My first order was for a custom DM 1000 LED that I ended up cancelling and going with the awesome DM 2500 LED. Initially with the 10/22 eyepiece which then I ended up cancelling and going with the 10/25.
More about it later.
Last edited by absolute fan on Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

absolute fan

Re: Leica DM 2500 LED

#2 Post by absolute fan » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:23 am

Hand held picture using my iPhone close to an eyepiece.

Once I get a suitable camera I will start stacking pics to improve the depth of field.
Last edited by absolute fan on Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeteM

Re: Leica DM 2500 LED

#3 Post by PeteM » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:40 am

Great scope - and capable of DIC should you want to add it at some point.

A few of us may be curious to know what digital photo system you end up with? The Leica apparently does a bit of correction in the eyepieces - and the ideal probably has some sort of relay lens to something like a mirrorless camera?