High end Chinese microscope with DIC and Phase

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
apochronaut

Re: High end Chinese microscope with DIC and Phase

#31 Post by apochronaut » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:24 pm

Product page for the model, can be found on pg. 46 of their product website.
https://www.bestscope.net/product-center/page/46/

They don't seem to have a brochure for the DIC kit on that website. I have one but cannot upload it because of it's file size.
Will see if I can find a link somewhere.

75RR

#32 Post by 75RR » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:14 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:24 pm

They don't seem to have a brochure for the DIC kit on that website. I have one but cannot upload it because of it's file size.
https://www.bestscope.net/bs-2081-resea ... icroscope/
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Scarodactyl

#33 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:22 pm

75RR wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:23 am
Everyone knows about Primo Star. Scarodactyl said lines!
Motic also makes the lower end Stemis from what I understand. I can't site a source though, it is just what I have heard.
Edit: oh, now I remember, I heard that from Gene (g4lab here and elsewhere).
Phill Brown wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:32 am
An observation is there are used Nikon high end objectives being sold out of China, previously I would assume they are fakes.
My best guess is they don't need ones made in Japan so much now.
Just like anywhere else with a lot of industry, China generates a lot of surplus equipment. I don't think it necessarily speaks to domestic production so much as it does to pretty normal wasteful business practices.
Last edited by Scarodactyl on Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apochronaut

#34 Post by apochronaut » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:09 pm

75RR wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:14 pm
apochronaut wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:24 pm

https://www.bestscope.net/bs-2081-resea ... icroscope/
That is the same brochure for the microscope itself that I linked to. The DIC components are listed in that brochure but there is a separate colour brochure covering the DIC components themselves, which I cannot find an internet link to.

farnsy

#35 Post by farnsy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:32 pm

I never got the DIC brochure, sadly. I'd kind of like to see it.

Wes

#36 Post by Wes » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:38 pm

farnsy wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:32 pm
ok but how is the DIC image quality like? Are there any examples out there or you own shots?
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

farnsy

#37 Post by farnsy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:41 pm

I'll get some when I can. I'm traveling this week so it can't be right away.

I'm a little hesitant to show my own picture as an example because the quality of the shot will be a combination of the scope's ability, my ability, the sample quality, and the cover glass quality. But I'll post what I get.

75RR

#38 Post by 75RR » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:09 pm

farnsy wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:41 pm
I'll get some when I can. I'm traveling this week so it can't be right away.

I'm a little hesitant to show my own picture as an example because the quality of the shot will be a combination of the scope's ability, my ability, the sample quality, and the cover glass quality. But I'll post what I get.
Did the manufacturer send you any images showing what the microscope can do?

farnsy

#39 Post by farnsy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:22 pm

75RR wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:09 pm
Did the manufacturer send you any images showing what the microscope can do?
They didn't send any to me. I don't think I would trust the images if they had, though. I don't want to single out BestScope, but my experience with Chinese sellers of many different products is that they frequently use stock photos in their marketing materials that may not necessarily come from their product.

Scarodactyl

#40 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:45 pm

I'm definitely looking forward to the photos. Someone did post some on FB from the nexscope variant that looked good to me: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Amateur ... 423418731/
I don't know transmitted dic nearly as well as epi though so my opinion is not the most informed. Web resolution can hide some sins too.

75RR

#41 Post by 75RR » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:50 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:45 pm
I'm definitely looking forward to the photos. Someone did post some on FB from the nexscope variant that looked good to me: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Amateur ... 423418731/
I don't know transmitted dic nearly as well as epi though so my opinion is not the most informed. Web resolution can hide some sins too.
Thanks for the link. I like them

apochronaut

#42 Post by apochronaut » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:30 am

farnsy wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:32 pm
I can probably email it to you. I have been dealing with a different agent at Bestscope than you. I think you went through the website? My agent has been a little more liberal with info., perhaps. Possibly one of the shortcomings of their system but I guess you can get good or bad sales reps representing any company.

Scarodactyl

#43 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:26 am

I wonder how their epi DIC system is put together and how good it is. Not in a considering-ordering kind of way, just a dic fan kind of way.

farnsy

#44 Post by farnsy » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:56 am

What epi DIC? I didn't see anything about that available. Is it for the BS2081?

Scarodactyl

#45 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:19 am

It's an option on their metallurgical microscopes, as well as metallurgical microacopes from a number of other Chinese outlets. It seems to be more common or at least more openly advertised on places like alibaba.
Just checked again and the bestscope one appears to have a slider which looks similar to my Nikon one, though certainly not identical. Probably the same general idea though.

VishR

#46 Post by VishR » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:26 pm

Just got quote for BS-2081 with DIC kit, Semi-apos, LED fluorescence reflector / FITC/TRITC, DAPI and blank cube for ~ $ 13.3 k.. Bestscope rep indicating microscope price increased by 20% ! compared to couple of months back.....

Dubious

#47 Post by Dubious » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:43 pm

Out of curiosity, I emailed Amscope and Motic and asked if they had any microscopes that could be upgraded to DIC. Amscope said if it did, it would be the IN480T-FL, at https://www.amscope.com/compound-micros ... b8165.html. Not a lot of certainty there... Motic said it does have upright microscopes that can be configured with DIC and recommended the PA53MET, which "comes as a modular system and can be customized based on your specific application." The brochure is at https://www.motic.com/upload/File/20210 ... 244215.pdf and does mention a DIC option. The PA53MET seems to be primarily a reflected light/metallurgical microscope, but it is modular and can do transmitted light, so who knows? I wasn't given prices but suspect it costs more than the BestScope, which in any case, even without the Nikon connection, looks to be the better microscope for biological use.

farnsy

#48 Post by farnsy » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:01 pm

Probably your best bet with AmScope would be this same microscope. They don't sell it under the AmScope brand, but they do sell it under the EuroMex brand (AmScope and EuroMex are two divisions of the same company, United Scope).

The other Chinese microscope you see around that's kind of higher end is the one known as AccuScope EXC-400 or BS-2064. That's kind of the Olympus clone microscope over there. It has some nosepiece slots that look like they could be used with DIC, but I don't see evidence that there's a DIC system available for it. I wouldn't be surprised if there was one you could get by request from one of these retailers.

Scarodactyl

#49 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:01 am

The motic is definitely epi dic. Kind of funny they're pushing it on that series instead of their (quite good) mitutoyo clone series. Maybe it's unusual for customers to want both long working distances and epi dic.
Not to state the obvious but an epi DIC setup is a lot easier to get or assemble used, buying new makes little sense for the enthusiast.

VishR

#50 Post by VishR » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:58 pm

I ordered BS-2081 microscope with similar specifications of farnsy scope as detailed here. Expecting shipment in next 4-5 weeks, I Thank farnsy for guiding / navigating Bestscope ordering process.

PeteM

#51 Post by PeteM » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:18 pm

Re: an earlier post -- last time I looked ( and as Scarodactyl said) the major makers had at least some of their entry level lines made in China (or Philippines, etc). If buying at the low end of the Leica, Nikon, Olympus, and Zeiss lines, they typical hobbyist can get as good a scope, cheaper, from a maker like Motic. It might even be pretty much the same scope.

Schools will sometimes buy the better-known brand because the price a dealer has to charge a hobbyist to support a single microscope can be cut drastically for a school with a hundreds of scopes and annual service needs.

As with others, the Bestscope DIC odyssey is proving informative - thanks Farnsy.

apochronaut

#52 Post by apochronaut » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:47 pm

Sometimes, you can buy factory direct and receive factory direct service from China, far outstripping the kind of service that distributors like Amscope provide. The agent will be either a factory agent or a factory authorized agent. My impression with Bestscope is that they are the manufacturer of some of their NIS line or are very closely connected to a factory.....like right next door for instance. For other of their product, the 180mm reference length stuff they are more remote. They are both a factory agent and a factory authorized agent. My experience has been that their turn around for NIS equipment is quite fast and that they almost immediately know an answer to a question but their turn around for 180mm based optics is slow and they have to step outside, probably to the actual manufacturer for information.
As an agent, they are first rate, even to the point of paying for the return of items to be replaced.