My Zeiss Microscopes

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Hobbyst46

Re: My Zeiss Microscopes

#91 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:45 pm

Very nice job!
On some BXs, there is an epi- field aperture, that can aid to optimize uniform brightness of the FOV in fluorescence.
BTW, the technical term used for the incident light beam, that causes fluorescence, is excitation.

ImperatorRex

Re: Olympus BX - DIY LED replacement for the HBO 100W high pressure Mercury burner

#92 Post by ImperatorRex » Sat May 23, 2020 5:57 pm

Thank you Hobbyst46. Spelling corrected, very appreciate your advise.
Guess I had the epi- field aperture fully opened. Will need to check next time.

ImperatorRex

My Zeiss and Olympus Microscopes

#93 Post by ImperatorRex » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:14 pm

Recently there was the question why to buy (second hand) microscopes from one of the big 4 manufacturers. I tried to answer in the forum, but I stopped to write a response. I am simply not able to just focus on the rationals, I found myself getting very emotional when it comes to my microscope(s). Simply because they are not just bought from the shelf, the equipment was completed with lots of time and passion to make them simply wonderful,perfect and maybe unique!

I AM SURE MANY HERE IN THE FORUM SHARE THE SAME FEELINGS FOR THEIR EQUIPMENT ;-) JUST LET ME KNOW!

Just looking at the most recent equiment that I bought, where I still somehow can remember where and what I have added and modified:
Asterics (*) indicates that I bought the item from ebay. So it adds ebay stuff from Singapore, Thailand, China, USA, UK and Germany. Some components are tailor made stuff or just done by my own.

75RR

#94 Post by 75RR » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:25 pm

I do think that a loved microscope like an old much loved car, will go that extra mile for you. ;)
Last edited by 75RR on Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

BramHuntingNematodes

#95 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:41 pm

I certainly like old tools, and I can feel the tsukumogami of some of these old things when I use them. I have wooden planes that are 200 years old that I use regularly, so an 80 year old microscope is not very old. My old Dynoptic has a history I am conflicted about, being part of the research complement at the Hanford Engineering Works during the Manhattan Project. It's tsukumogami may be evil, I don't know, but it's certainly a beautiful machine. It's also a reminder that people were no less ingenious in the past, and some skills and arts were more exercised and widely practiced then as well.

New things can be modified too. It's really that microscopes are excellent for those that like to adjust settings. I like, for instance, how the intro on some of microbe hunter videos is just turning and adjusting knob after knob. Then after that comes all these personal modifications, additions, and upgrades that are built out of our ideas about what we would like to do. When you sit down to a session you sense that everything about the environment has been shaped to your preferences to a high degree. It's not a stretch to think that this sense of control would affect us emotionally. That all this apparatus let's us participate in a world normally obscure doesn't hurt either.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

ImperatorRex

#96 Post by ImperatorRex » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:33 pm

After some clean up I feal comfortable to share a photo from my room at home...

Rapidray

#97 Post by Rapidray » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:12 pm

Nice looking setup! I love your inverted Zeiss!!! :D
OMAX M83

ImperatorRex

#98 Post by ImperatorRex » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:23 pm

Thank you Rapidray. The Zeiss inverted is still the microscope that I am using most of the time and were my passion is.

Wes

#99 Post by Wes » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:55 am

Very nice Jochen, you have a great microscopy station! But where are all the other beautiful microscopes??
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

ImperatorRex

#100 Post by ImperatorRex » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:39 pm

Hi Wes,
Wes wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:55 am
But where are all the other beautiful microscopes??
It is a please but also a curse to have many microscopes. Where to put all the nice scopes? Table space is limited and just to put the stuff into closures is not really a solution.
So meanwhile I have sold some of my Zeiss collection...what also helps to recover from my recent scope investments / aquisitions. So just one nice black Standard WL, a Standard RA and a Junior is currently stocked on the shelf.
It does not mean I am not buying interesting scope from time to time...but I is then more to get interesting components and to repair the scope. So maybe in few months my collection again has recovered and extended :-)

Fen

#101 Post by Fen » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:57 pm

The stereo microscope on the left really puts it into perspective how big the inverted scope really is. :shock:
Beautiful collection!

ImperatorRex

#102 Post by ImperatorRex » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:44 pm

Thank you Fen. The footprint of the Zeiss Inverted IM35 is somehow comparable with other larger research grade microscopes like Olympus BX or the Zeis Axios/Universal/Phomi. Certainly it is a bit higher. So maybe this is also the reason, why this type of microscopes are not so popular? Sometimes you find these microscopes for very low prices on ebay in USA!
But I have to admit that hardly any offer on ebay will work straight away as being sold, so some kind of "repair" and overhaul needs to be done.
I really like the ergonomy and handling of the IM35, it is very convenient! And it is really a full grade research microscope, including epi fluorescense. You can do everything with this scope!

If anybody has questions regarding the IM35 (or auctions on ebay) pls. do not hesitate to contact me via a private message.

ImperatorRex

Vibration Problems - Canon EOS DSLR Life view mode, flash...

#103 Post by ImperatorRex » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:11 am

I made a comparision to illustrate the impact of the DSLR Shutter vibration on the image resolution quality. Camera is a Canon EOS 600D. The Canon EOS DSLR cameras are well known and used for micro-photographi since they come with a Software "Canon Utilities". With this software you can remotely controle the camera. Also there is a "Life View" Mode and the good thing is, that shutter curtain is kept open in this mode. So there is hardly no impact of vibrations if shots are taken in this mode.
Different strategy to overcome the vibration issue also could be to use a micro flash. Exposure times of a flash are very short so that vibrations of the camera does not really matters anymore.

Below photos that illustrate the vibration problem and the positive effect of the "Live View mode" or using a flash. Photos are from a Pleurosigma angulatim diatoma test plate, photos taken in Bright Field.

Photos taken just by remotely making photos at the camera. The shutter vibrations results in a low quality and resolution. This can not be overcome with the different exposure times:

The Live View in the Canon EOS Utilities resolves the problem basically:

Using a flash also solves the issue with vibrations:

Edit: Photo with having mirrow open and locked:

Hope you find this info helpful. Looking forward for any comment or question.
Last edited by ImperatorRex on Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Hobbyst46

#104 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:19 am

Thanks for an excellent comparison.
Was the first photo taken with "optimal" vibration-less camera settings, viz locked mirror, EFCS shutter etc ?

LouiseScot

#105 Post by LouiseScot » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:24 am

Yes, the Canon live view seems to overcome such problems. I posted some links to images I took of some diatoms at 40x in the pictures and videos section yesterday :) I haven't yet tried 60x but my 60x objective isn't that good. As an afterthought I'll add a couple of youtube vids of 3d animations of the Aulacodiscus.
Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

Rapidray

#106 Post by Rapidray » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:18 pm

Nice photo comparisons.
OMAX M83

hans

#107 Post by hans » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:32 pm

The apparent contrast inversion of the pores between the 1/50 and 1/200 shots without live view or flash is interesting, perhaps indicating that the motion disturbing the images is mostly a vertical change of focus?

Would be interesting to see if that effect stays the same with the camera rotated 90 degrees to change the direction of shutter shock on the frame.

ImperatorRex

#108 Post by ImperatorRex » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:57 pm

Thanks Rapidray!

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:19 am
Thanks for an excellent comparison.
Was the first photo taken with "optimal" vibration-less camera settings, viz locked mirror, EFCS shutter etc ?
Very good points! Actually I had forgotten to set the mirrow lock, so I have edited my previous post and added last picture where the mirrow is locked. The Canon EOS 600D does not support EFCS, so not test for that setting ;-) With the locked mirror image quality has improved, but still in Life view mode the vibrations seem to be less.

hans wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:32 pm
The apparent contrast inversion of the pores between the 1/50 and 1/200 shots without live view or flash is interesting, perhaps indicating that the motion disturbing the images is mostly a vertical change of focus?

Would be interesting to see if that effect stays the same with the camera rotated 90 degrees to change the direction of shutter shock on the frame.

Right...that is a smart idea. Will see if there is a quick way to rotate the camera. I usually hesitate to change the locking since the parfocally is really balanced to be 100% accurate, so would not like to open the setscrew of the adapter.

LouiseScot, very nice shots and videos of your diatoms!

75RR

#109 Post by 75RR » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:24 pm

Nice comparison, good to see just what effect vibration can have.

It would seem from the link below that the Canon 600D which is the same as the Canon T3i (just a name change for the North American market) does have EFSC, but only when Live View is activated.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... p?p=145406
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

ImperatorRex

#110 Post by ImperatorRex » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:40 pm

75RR wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:24 pm
It would seem from the link below that the Canon 600D which is the same as the Canon T3i (just a name change for the North American market) does have EFSC, but only when Live View is activated.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... p?p=145406
Interesting article, thanks for cross linking. From that I agree, the EOS 600D seems to have the EFSC enabled as soon as Life View is active. The more expensibe models like 70D have a "silent mode" that can be enabled from the menu.

Regards
Jochen

tlansing

#111 Post by tlansing » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:21 pm

I was inspired when I first saw this impressive group of microscopes and the adaption described for incorporating flash using the old Zeiss beam splitter. This beam splitter was used for the analog cameras in which the camera was connected on the top with a view finder on the side. I was particularly happy to realize I had one of these. I wanted to add a small contribution to adapting this beam splitter for a flash. This is a simple way to attach the flash to the beam splitter. The view finder is removed by unscrewing a ring that attaches it to the beam splitter (photo 1).
Photo1.jpg
Photo1.jpg (10.55 KiB) Viewed 15233 times
I ordered a diffuser for the flash (in this case a Yongnuo speedlite). This is made of sturdy plastic and I drilled a hole through the front of the diffuser using a 1.5" hollow drill bit; now the diffuser fits perfectly over the flange where the view finder was attached. The ring that secured the view finder to the beam splitter can now screwed down tight to attach the diffuser securely to the beam splitter (photos 2 &3).
Photo2.jpg
Photo2.jpg (18.02 KiB) Viewed 15233 times
Photo3.jpg
Photo3.jpg (8.43 KiB) Viewed 15233 times

ImperatorRex

#112 Post by ImperatorRex » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:51 pm

Hi tlansing,
congrats! Straight forward way to adopt the flash.

AntoniScott

#113 Post by AntoniScott » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:47 pm

Thank you for sharing and preserving these magnificent Zeiss microscopes. As an amateur microscope collector myself I can appreciate that these amazing instruments will always be considered state of the art at the time of their release.
I was fortunate to aquire a superb microcope (for its day), a Seibert Wetzlar. Although the history of this microscope is sketchy, I think its date of manufacture was between 1895 abd 1905. Regrettably the vendor that I acquired the scope from was careless in packaging the scope. When I received the scope the base was broken (cast iron), the main focus knob was completely bent and the substage condenser rack and pinion slightly bent and unable to move up and down. Basically it rendered the microscope totally unusable - so sad. However I was able to aquire a similar looking base (not a Seibert) that required a small amount of machining to make it fit. It looks similar but the scope is not totally original.
Amazingly the objectives were not damaged despite the fact that they were bouncing around inside the shipping box. I was surprised to discover that the objective mounting thread is the same as that used today so was able to install these objectives on my modern microscope. As a testiment to the manufacturers' expertise for 100 plus years ago, the optical quality and color correction was astounding. I would post some photo micrograph images through these objectives but the poor image quality I get with my camera would not do the Seibert microscope's objective image quality justice.
Attachments
IMG_1701 (1).jpg
IMG_1701 (1).jpg (96.99 KiB) Viewed 13022 times
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg (110.59 KiB) Viewed 13022 times
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg (151.11 KiB) Viewed 13022 times
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg (129.39 KiB) Viewed 13022 times
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (120.94 KiB) Viewed 13022 times

ImperatorRex

#114 Post by ImperatorRex » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:36 pm

Hi Antoni,
I share your passion and emotions assigned to microscopes. Great job done...well done to preserve this nice piece of history.

hermez

#115 Post by hermez » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:45 am

Hi ImperatorRex :)

I'm considering buying Zeiss Standard RA. I would like to use it for reflected light microscopy, to watch various materials, like stones, minerals, gems. I'm wondering if Standard RA is a good choice for that purpose?
I'm quite limited by what I can find second hand, so found RA recently, and there is also a Universal available, but 10x more expensive, and out of my budget.
So I'm inclined to try RA, but can't find any information about for instance how to add epi-illuminator to it... not sure if it would even fit. What's your thought on that?

hrmz

Adam Long

#116 Post by Adam Long » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:49 am

Hi hrmz,

I haven't as much experience as Imperator, but I have recently bought a Universal to do Epi. I was looking at Epi-condensers for my Standard 16, but got the whole Universal set-up, with 5x Epiplan-HD objectives and for less. So I would keep looking, I think the Phomis and Universals are less popular because of their size.

I think there is more room on the Universal for dealing with stones rather than slides. You can quickly take the condenser off and lower the stage right down (this is possible on some standards but not most). Even then there may well be ore room on a Universal.

On the standards the Epi-condenser fits between the stand and the head, with the lighting cantilevered out to the side. On the Universals it runs through the large stand arm, which should be much sturdier. All Phomis/ Universals have an Optovar and analyser slot, whereas with Standards Optovars are expensive and the analyser is either in the Optovar (but not all), the condenser (often missing) or the head (seem to be rare).

The inserts for the Standard and Phomi/Universal are often missing and not easily sourced. They don't appear to be cross-compatible either, appearing the same size but mirror images.

So either will work fine but if you have the space for a bigger stand I would say a Universal will be easier to find, whether complete or in parts.

ImperatorRex

#117 Post by ImperatorRex » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:45 pm

Hi hermez,
like Adam mentioned, I would make the choice based what you find on the "market". Both Zeiss Standard RA/WL or Universal/Phomi will do a nice job for Epi, EpiPol or Epi DIC.
As Adam also mentioned you will need some time and passion to find the parts and pieces or you have luck to get a complete stand with the equipment.
Maybe consider to post a "want to buy" message in the forum. Where are you located? The german microscopy forum has a large Zeiss community, so maybe there is a good chance to get offers for such equipment.
I also can sent you a Zeiss brochure that lists the available Epi equipment (both for RA and Universal/Phomi). Just provide me your email via PM and I will sent you a pdf.

MicroBob

#118 Post by MicroBob » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:27 pm

Hi Hermez,
the epi components for Phomi/Universal are (at least in Germany) more frequent on the used market than the ones for the smaller models. I think with the RA or Standard 14-18 the epi illuminator will have to be placed above the tube head and I think you cant have epi dark field this way. This would be an important difference for me. Epi bright field has little contrast, pol is better but not usable for everything and epi dark field is very attractive. The WL and old GFL allow to lift the arm with the coarse focus and as long as the nosepiece is exchangeable you could attatch an epi bright/dark field unit with full capability. Phomi/Universal allow everything you could want and generally parts are available. The Phomis often are cheaper as they contain an analog camera nobody wants today.

The Zeiss Jena NF would be an alternative if they show up un the used market in your area.

Bob

BramHuntingNematodes

#119 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:10 am

Hmmm I have a GFL that does epi darkfield with those wonderful hd objectives. I would think it strange if the 18s couldn't. Could it be true?
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

IanW

#120 Post by IanW » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:36 pm

I have Zeiss Standard 18 for sale in theFor Sale section...no signs of interest so far and still available. PM me if interested.
Zeiss Jena NF, Zeiss Standard 18 and WL