New to Microbehunter.com, here my AmScope T720Q description

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Bert

New to Microbehunter.com, here my AmScope T720Q description

#1 Post by Bert » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:46 pm

AmScope T720Q 40X-1000X Plan Infinity Kohler Laboratory Trinocular Compound Microscope bought 2020.

First, am not a pro and spending $$$$ for a well known brand is not for me. Amscope caught my eye as there is quite some choice and they have a descent website. I wanted a scope with iris - condenser, Kohler lighting, LED and PAN Infinity objectives. Because most is in the objectives and lighting. If objectives or lighting is bad - everything is bad. In response to the pretty bad reviews here my experiences. Wish could give T720Q 4 stars but the cost of the scope itself is significant in the total price you pay so its 3 stars instead. Here is why.

Pro
- WF+ eyepieces. each eyepiece is adjustable as well. Amscope calls them Extreme Wide Field but this is a relative term. With a field of view of 22 mm they are better then WF however not quite EWF as you would be with a view of 24mm. Anyway I can use glasses and the view is much better than with standard eyepieces.
- condenser with iris however wish iris movement was a bit sturdier. Top position is adjustable.
- LED adjustable lighting
- Kohler illumination
- The PAN Infinity objectives. Good for a clear crisp image however the housing has the tendency to unscrew.
- Wide stage with great slide holder.
- Fine focusing knob on both sides of the scope - left hand for fine focusing and right hand to move the stage.
- 5 objectives
- Customer support. Got mostly basic responses within max 1 to 2 days. Reached out to them to obtain the manual and several times in regards the "not existing" stage limit stop adjustment and trinocular head issue..
- dust cover

Contras
- inter-pupillary distance adjustment - no markings so you need to spend time to re-adjust when someone else uses the scope and moves the eyepieces.
- no limit stop on the stage. You can damage the objectives. You need to open the scope to get to the stop.
- the condenser can touch the Kohler illumination. No limit here either. Open the scope to adjust this properly.
- Trinocular head that comes with the scope is too short for a camera with 0.5x reduction lens. You need an extension to make this right or mount the camera without reduction directly to the scope. Doing so though magnifies the image too much in my opinion. Amscope support suggested the AD-C23 adapter however this adapter does not fit the T720 scope.
- The manual needs requested as not readily available on the Amscope website. It has good information however not all is correct.

Conclusion - and this is just me.. Amscope mechanics is mediocre quality at best . The objectives and lighting is good and taking the other pros in account and the money I paid I can state am pretty satisfied with this purchase.

PeteM

Re: New to Microbehunter.com, here my AmScope T720Q description

#2 Post by PeteM » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:09 pm

I think you nailed most of the pros and cons - thanks for the review.

For others contemplating this scope - right now it runs around $1430 plus tax on Amazon. A comparable used infinity microscope (Leica DMLS, Nikon E400, Olympus BX40 etc.) with equivalent to slightly better optical quality (infinity plan achromats) but with significantly better mechanical build quality (and more options for upgrades) might run around $700-$1800.

A bargain option for Olympus users, should they find an affordable infinity head and objectives would be to adapt them to something like a BHT or BHS. This provides an excellent stand and the same optics as a BX40 with (in the case of the BHS) a brighter lamp or (in the case of the BHT or BHS) and easy upgrade to LED.