How Much Equipment Do You Need?

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
DonSchaeffer

How Much Equipment Do You Need?

#1 Post by DonSchaeffer » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:08 pm

Since I had my stroke, my life and my microscope life have changed (perhaps diminished). I am only using the basic equipment now--no room for extra equipment. I am able to function with just my microscope, an eye dropper, and a sharp knife. I can still see a lot of things although it gets a little repetitive. I live pretty much in the micro world, not the macro world because of limited equipment. I do notice that sometimes less magnification makes better images than greater magnification. Sometimes the detail visible under higher magnification looses sense rather than increasing it. The stroke diminished my skills as well but I cling to what I have. There are wonderful patterns in the cells of plants and the motion of microscopic life. I feel myself growing within my new limitations. It has forced a new kind of discipline.

Alexander

Re: How Much Equipment Do You Need?

#2 Post by Alexander » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:42 pm

DonSchaeffer wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:08 pm
I do notice that sometimes less magnification makes better images than greater magnification. Sometimes the detail visible under higher magnification looses sense rather than increasing it.
Hi Don,

Very much this! A 25x objective will often give you a much better and more informative picture than a 60x.

Hope you recover well.

Alexander

imkap

#3 Post by imkap » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:38 pm

I agree, equipment it is best to learn to use what you have and enjoy... Although I did buy an another microscope a few days ago :?

DonSchaeffer

#4 Post by DonSchaeffer » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:49 pm

Thanks Alexander.
Oh imkap, you are a victim of love!

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:02 am

Not much it seems. When I wss very young, I had one 3 objective microscope and 2 eyepieces in a hardwood case. 600X maximum and no perks outside of BF. I used that with a great deal of success and pleasure for about 6 years and everything went well.
Since that time, I have branched out into all kinds of microscope equipment and techniques but compared to those first 6 years of microscopy ; my eyesight is worse, my fingers are stiff, I get random cramps in my legs, I contracted several strange diseases, teeth have disappeared, I got cancer, can't run the mile in less than 5 min. anymore, my hair fell out, shoe size went up, pulse is up, hair is growing out if my nose, I lost a kidney somewhere, skewered myself with a 5/8" rebar through the testicles, separated a shoulder, had back surgery and crushed the vertebrae in my neck. None of that microscope technology has done me any good at all.

Greg Howald

#6 Post by Greg Howald » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:01 am

My vision is shot at the moment as I need another cataract surgery so I can again see with both eyes. I have tons of equipment and ten microscopes. I can do just about anything with many filters I have developed over time.
In all this, what do I enjoy most?
Brightfield with a 20x objective. Go figure.

blekenbleu

#7 Post by blekenbleu » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:46 pm

I was spoiled by nice image quality and simplicity of my first microscope about 20 years ago, an AO 10,
but it taught that epi illumination was wanted,
then an AO EPI-LUME revealed bright-field epi shortcomings,
an EPIStar demonstrated RMS coaxial epi objective limitations,
and an Optiphot's rotating stage facilitated polarized darkfield epi.
Neither hair loss nor sciatica can be blamed on microscopy, being well advanced before AO 10 acquisition.
Metaphot, Optiphot 1, 66; AO 10, 120, EPIStar, Cycloptic

DonSchaeffer

#8 Post by DonSchaeffer » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:07 pm

I am also finding that a 20x objective often renders details and textures better than a 60x, but not always. Microbes often show up better with lower magnification. Some plant cells do also--I really think there is logic to it. It's almost as if there is a favored image class for each magnification. Some plant cells visualize beautifully at high magnification. In other cases the size of the subject is just right for a lower magnification, and higher magnification can be a wasted or even a misleading surplus.

BramHuntingNematodes

#9 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:32 pm

Related to the equipment question, higher magnifications objectives need coddling and extra care about centration and the right kind of lighting and oil in some cases or even worse cover slip thickness precision you might we'll find they don't reveal as much as the trusty 20x, greatest of the dry objectives.

But if you need to look at some details at the resolution limit of higher objectives to answer a specific question then you may need more equipment.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Finelld

#10 Post by Finelld » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:00 am

As much as you can afford but no more😁

Seriously though, an average person will invest about the cost of an automobile in their hobby.

LouiseScot

#11 Post by LouiseScot » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:00 am

With my DIY rail microscope plus the purchase of two modest Amscopes back in May, I think I've probably reached peak microscope now. However, I'm waiting for a new infinity plan fluor 40x from China. If it is as good as I hope I might get a couple more (20x and 100x) :) My interest in actually doing stuff does wax and wane though. I'm also under threat of eventual homelessness so that would bring my hobbies to an end. I'm ageing anyway and we're all time limited but I do my best to try and keep fit and healthy.
Don - work with what you have for as long as you can and for as long as it gives you pleasure.

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo