Reichert Microstar 4

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Dennis

Reichert Microstar 4

#1 Post by Dennis » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:06 pm

I just bought a used Reichert Microstar 4 microscope off Ebay.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... 02&o=OneUp

Objectives are-
Plan Achro 4X infinity
Neoplan 10X infinity
Plan Achro 40X infinity
Neoplan 50X oil infinity
Plan Achro 100X oil infinity

I bought it at a great price and got it today.
The birdbath water was cold and no life except a worm which is some kind of mosquito larva or something.
(2 front legs only) I watched and videoed it (Willy the worm) for about 2 hours.

I still have to fiddle more with the knobs cause diaphragm adj different and more knob choices to deal with how to set things.
Last edited by Dennis on Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lorez2

Re: Reichert Microstar 4

#2 Post by lorez2 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:18 am

I always liked the 410 series because they were/are easy to use and had good optics. As time passed the presence of a lot of plastic began to show problems where there were no problems in the series 10. With the abundance of creative genius in this group and more and more techno-wizardry any deficiencies should be easily remedied.

lorez
Nikon 80i

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:00 pm

A couple of notes on that.

Congratulations. That's a very good purchase, Dennis. That was nudging $2000.00 new in the 80's.
It may not have had as much use as some Microstar IVs that show up for sale on the used market because the painted info. on the objectives is pretty intact. That wears off on those where the nosepiece has been rotated using the objectives as a handle. The gnurling on the edge of the objective carrier is supposed to be used to turn it but most users just grab the objectives. I usually cut strips of matte cellulose tape and wrap that around the objectives so the paint is protected. It is also vulnerable to cleaning agents.

Use the diaphragm knob on the right to adjust for Köhler, keep the blue filter in for almost all subjects and run the halogen lamp at over 80% voltage. Running halogens at lower voltage than that will slowly deposit soot inside the glass and shorten bulb life.
I have only found that the 2.5X objective required the use of the neutral density filter. With the 4X and 10X the condenser iris works best to limit intensity : just enough closure.

and some more general notes regarding upgrading or filling out Microstar objective complements.

The Neoplans were derived mostly from minor upgrades to AO's short barreled planachros. The AO # 1016 50X .80 became the Reichert # 1754 50X .80 etc. The Planachros appear to be wholly new designs. There isn't much to choose between the two. The Planachros have slightly more perfectly flat planarity and perhaps better contrast. The 50X .80 is a really good objective, especially for DF.

They also made a small set of Planfluors : #1727 10X .30, #1728 40X .70 and #1729 100X 1.30. These are parfocal with the planachros. They are hard to find. Most sold are probably still in service, since they are so good.

You can also use infinity corrected, coverslip corrected objectives branded Reichert Austria with a six digit Nr. xxx xxx on them. These were made for the Austrian manufactured instruments. There is a tiny difference in lateral ca correction between for those and those made for the Microstar and Diastar but it is very slight near the periphery. In that way objectives can be mixed....you could use a Reichert Austria 25X .45 plan for instance.

Reichert Austria objectives are fully compensated by using AO # 145 eyepieces instead of the #181 or sometimes #191 normally supplied. It seems a better choice to go with those when opting for the use of any Reichert Austria objectives. even when mixing with Reichert U.S.A. objectives. The peripheral ca seems a little worse with #181 eyepieces amplifying the Reichert Austria image, than the #145 amplifying the Microstar objectives.

There are also Reichert Austria Planapos and Planfluor Apos that work beautifully on the Microstar IV. These often go under the radar because there is such a throng looking for Nikon and Olympus Planapos, and can be had for really low prices sometimes. I have bought 3 for my Diastar for under 100.00 ea. They are uncommon, I'm sure partially because there are so many still in service but a diligent search will find them eventually. There are only 4 Planapos I know of but perhaps more arrived later . 10X .30, 25X .65, 40X 1.0 oil and 100X 1.32. The latter two have built in iris diaphragms.
There is also a Planfluor Apo 2.5X 0.75 which is a total gem, as well as Planfluor Apo and Planapo phase objectives, which work perfectly with the Microstar phase .condenser system.

Dennis

#4 Post by Dennis » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:38 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
I really like the innovations on the microscope.
(control knobs for adjustments, table stays stationary)
But one thing I found- When you move the objective turret and not the stage to focus-
It is reverse. I crashed the 50X (gentle crash) and NOW I will remember!

Dennis

#5 Post by Dennis » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:23 pm

I bought a second Reichert Microstar 4-

Well I wanted to have a 20X objective for my 88 dollar Microstar 4, so I had to buy a 120 dollar one to get it.

The second one doesn't have a cord, has a bulb, didn't light up, objectives move but kind sticks half way in movement but still works and missing one objective.

Just gonna grab that 20X out of it now and later see about repairs and if I will sell, keep, etc...

In it for 300 total now.
Last edited by Dennis on Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imkap

#6 Post by imkap » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:59 pm

These Microstar microscopes look great :D and so cheap. Great

Be careful they don't make a baby microstar :!:

Dennis

#7 Post by Dennis » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:04 pm

That is my typical settings-
Light up to 3 or 4 o'clock.
BLUE all the way up.
Neutral Density filter- Lately all the way up but not sure future.
Diaphragm more to all the way closed but when go to a higher objective that has to be opened more
(either and) condenser raised. And visa versa when moving to lower objectives.