The easiest microscope to tweak, modify

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
nbnserge

The easiest microscope to tweak, modify

#1 Post by nbnserge » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:14 pm

Hi everyone,

What model of microscope do you think is the easiest to make modifications, addons, tweaks
with best availability of parts on Ebay ?

Victor

viktor j nilsson

Re: The easiest microscope to tweak, modify

#2 Post by viktor j nilsson » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:42 pm

Depends on where you are located. In Europe I'd say a Zeiss Standard.

BramHuntingNematodes

#3 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:58 pm

In the US you'll probably find the most Nikon and Olympus stuff on the secondary market but not all of it will be cheap as there is still some institutional demand for those makers. I have found it difficult to have a single scope to do all things well, rather if you have a particular use case in mind the possibilities become more clear.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

MicroBob

#4 Post by MicroBob » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:00 pm

Hi Viktor,
how about a Leeuwenhoek microscope or a foldscope?

Bob

nbnserge

#5 Post by nbnserge » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:20 pm

I live in Europe, and I plan to buy a second hand microscope and improve it gradually
I would like to stay with Zeiss, Leitz , Olympus or Nikon

and chose a model that I could find lots of parts on Ebay for example

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:32 pm

nbnserge wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:20 pm
I live in Europe, and I plan to buy a second hand microscope and improve it gradually
I would like to stay with Zeiss, Leitz , Olympus or Nikon

and chose a model that I could find lots of parts on eBay for example
A focused search on eBay might provide an answer. Examples:

1. Search "40X microscope objective Nikon" (an advanced search for exact words in any order)
2. Search "microscope condenser Leitz" ...
3. Search "Trinocular Zeiss standard" ...

etc. Provided that those "tweaks" are known, and that they exist as real parts from the manufaturer of the microscope. Mixing parts from different scopes, let alone different makes, are also "tweaks", but of a low chance of success.

Element 56

#7 Post by Element 56 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:38 pm

One of the easiest instruments to build on to and that has a lot of readily available parts on eBay is the Olympus BH2. It's a great instrument with good to excellent optics depending on your budget. There's also a wealth of downloadable literature available for them online.

Scarodactyl

#8 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:05 pm

I rather like the labophot/optiphot line too. The one major advantage they have over the olympus series is that direct projection onto an aps-c sensor is possible (with some modifications to the microscope heads) and the result is capturing the whole good FoV of your objectives on the camera, rather than cropping down with a photo eyepiece. Plus there are inexpensive 10x/22 eyepieces from China which work with them. With Olympus, because their eyepieces hve essential corrections built in, you have less choice for going "off script" that way.
Some of the BH2 optics might have a slight edge over the nikon though, at least that is my impression from visually comparing my Olympus neo splans to my nikon bd plans (a bit of an unusual set of objectives for hobby use though).
Last edited by Scarodactyl on Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nbnserge

#9 Post by nbnserge » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:07 pm

yessss Olympus BH2
And perhaps the Leitz Ortholux ?

first modification that comes to mind is LED replacement
then add some DF discs in a modified tray

Victor
Last edited by nbnserge on Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nbnserge

#10 Post by nbnserge » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:09 pm

thanks for the labophot / optiphot suggestion
I think it may be less of this one on sale on Ebay, but I might be wrong

Victor

Element 56

#11 Post by Element 56 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:39 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:05 pm
I rather like the labophot/optiphot line too. The one major advantage they have over the olympus series is that direct projection onto an aps-c sensor is possible (with some modifications to the microscope heads) and the result is capturing the whole good FoV of your objectives on the camera, rather than cropping down with a photo eyepiece. Plus there are inexpensive 10x/22 eyepieces from China which work with them. With Olympus, because their eyepieces hve essential corrections built in, you have less choice for going "off script" that way.
Some of the BH2 optics might have a slight edge over the nikon though, at least that is my impression from visually comparing my Olympus neo splans to my nikon bd plans (a bit of an unusual set of objectives for hobby use though).
Agreed. I'm starting to slowly become a Nikon fan. I discounted them for a long time but the price of used Nikon optics is appealing and I find the quality can be pretty good. I also use an older Nikon stereo everyday for work that I'm really starting to like and I just dug out a Nikon TMS inverted that I've ignored for a long time. I need to do some upgrades such as mechanical stage and if I can find a photo tube for it I think it may become my primary invert.

Kirby

apochronaut

#12 Post by apochronaut » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:13 pm

That would entirely depend on how much money you want to spend.
Such a question should be posited based on a set of budgetary thresholds ,such as : what would be the most complete system I could expect to acquire for 500.00, for 750.00, for 1000.00 etc. I am of the opinion that if you begin searching by brand, you will not in many cases get the best value for your dollar, though. One should search based on features because in reality, most people buy only one or two microscopes and is anyone going to be blubbering in their cream and lamenting the low quality of their planapos? I've got just over 700.00 in 3 planapos and 3 planfluors and dammit, every day I wish they were made in Japan !

PeteM

#13 Post by PeteM » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:23 pm

Availability, price, and condition might prove to be the deciding factor.

As you already know -- the four at the of that list among better "system" finite scopes are the "big four" - Leitz, Nikon, Olympus, and Zeiss. You'll likely want one with a robust mechanical build, a good trinocular head, interchangeable nosepieces to easily try out different optics, adequate transmitted and reflected illumination, a wide field of view, and enough "real estate" around the stage to add stuff. Best if there is a huge after-market of parts including better objectives, condensers, DIC etc. Plus a fine focus system with plenty of travel for focus stacking.

I'd put Nikon finite systems (Labophot/Optiphot) ever so slightly at the top of the list as an experimental stand, due to it's CF (chrome free) optics, the easier to find and cheaper trinocular heads, and the larger 66,100, etc. stands that allow lots of room for add-ons. These are widely available in many parts of the US. Main drawback is you might have to replace a stripped fine focus gear. For experimentation you'll want a replaceable turret - and those come with the Optiphot 1 & 2 or the wafer inspection scopes. The "F" type trinocular head is very affordable used and offers a straight shot to the objectives (no intervening prism) if that's a plus for you. Mike Tuell has an excellent site with an overview of various Nikon models. Both transmitted and reflected options are widely available.

Next, and likely a bit more expensive, would be Olympus BH/BH2 models - especially the BHT and BHS with removable turrets. A BHS is what I use for comparing objectives -- probably have a couple dozen nosepieces with different objectives on them. Do occasionally have to replace and shim eyepieces to get proper corrections -- something that's less of an issue with the Nikon CF system. I can also convert an Olympus to infinite optics quite easily - just a change of the objectives and the head via an adapter. Only take a couple minutes to swap heads and nosepieces. The Olympus BHT and BHS are wonderful scopes and perhaps more widely available in your area? The scopes are also better documented than others; by people like Carl Hunsinger and Alan Wood. Both transmitted and reflected options are widely available.

Next might be the Zeiss line, especially in Europe as noted above. The "Standard" model stands are mechanically reliable, but it's hard to find stands (the Zeiss WL, Standard 18, etc.) with the removable nosepiece option -- and even harder to find affordable spare nosepieces. A six hole turret recently went for well over $500 in the UK. In Olympus or Nikon that would be more like $150. Even 4 and 5 hole Zeiss nosepieces are a bit hard to find affordably - while the used market is awash in Nikon and Olympus. The "Standard" stands are a bit cramped for adding gadgets and the large Universals don't really beckon a whole lot of DIY additions (unless you have the mind and patience of a German clockmaker?). Delamination is a potential problem. The options for a wider field of view are also somewhat limited in availability. All that said, the stands are mechanically robust and often affordably priced. They can host a variety of DIN finite optics. If you're looking for a more compact but versatile stand - something like a Zeiss WL or Standard 18 might be it. If you like the notion of something similar to a German tank bred with a Swiss watch, the Universals can become an obsession.

The Leitz/Leica/Reichert line has some wonderful scopes. Mechanically a bit more refined that Olympus and Nikon (but not better in use, IMO) and with some wonderful optics. However the brands went through so many changes of ownership and optical design, that the used market is a bit like Erector Set and Lincoln Log parts -- it takes more time and knowledge to pick compatible parts. If you're willing to come up a steeper learning curve, there are some wonderful base systems. The various off-white Laborlux models are one possibility - and with infinite reflected light conversion heads available much like Nikon and Olympus. The higher end Leica DM series (with slots for a polarizer or DIC) puts you into "infinite" transmitted territory. Great scopes but more $$$ and time to find parts. Could be there's better availability and support for Leitz/Leica/Reichert in the Euro area?

It's an entirely different discussion if you're a university researcher with an order of magnitude larger budget - then we're into the infinite systems such as Olympus BX and successors to Nikon Eclipse.

Fen

#14 Post by Fen » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:11 pm

Leitz has 170 objectives though, as opposed to the standard 160 of the other brands, so you're bound to that brand if an objective needs to be replaced or added.

PeteM

#15 Post by PeteM » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:34 pm

Leitz had both short barrel and long barrel 170mm objectives and 160mm DIN finite objectives in the later scopes. There's some upward compatibility through the use of Plezy adapters and changing eyepieces.

Charles

#16 Post by Charles » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:12 am

PeteM wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:23 pm
Next might be the Zeiss line, especially in Europe as noted above. The "Standard" model stands are mechanically reliable, but it's hard to find stands (the Zeiss WL, Standard 18, etc.) with the removable nosepiece option -- and even harder to find affordable spare nosepieces. A six hole turret recently went for well over $500 in the UK. In Olympus or Nikon that would be more like $150. Even 4 and 5 hole Zeiss nosepieces are a bit hard to find affordably - while the used market is awash in Nikon and Olympus. The "Standard" stands are a bit cramped for adding gadgets and the large Universals don't really beckon a whole lot of DIY additions (unless you have the mind and patience of a German clockmaker?). Delamination is a potential problem. The options for a wider field of view are also somewhat limited in availability. All that said, the stands are mechanically robust and often affordably priced. They can host a variety of DIN finite optics. If you're looking for a more compact but versatile stand - something like a Zeiss WL or Standard 18 might be it. If you like the notion of something similar to a German tank bred with a Swiss watch, the Universals can become an obsession.
Availability of Zeiss stands are readily available in the US. The Standard models from the basic small Junior and KF2 to the large Universal and Photomicroscopes. Even bigger is the Zeiss Ultaphot. Although WLs are harder to find, the 18s with interchangeable objective turrets are available as are the older GFLs. The six hole turret (which runs about $150) is standard on Zeiss inverted scopes, like the IM 35 and ICM 405, and not available on the other Standard 160 TL scopes. There is a seven hole turret, which is expensive, and is available with the Standard 18, WL, Universals and Photomicroscopes. The common standard WL and 18 removeable turrets are the 4 and 5 hole nosepieces and are available on the secondary market. The Standard stands from the 14-WL are all about the same size except the WL has the same focus block and quick release stage and condenser holders as the Universals and Photomicroscope. They can all be set up for various lighting techniques from BF, DF, Phase, Pol, DIC and Fluoro in transmitted as well as epi light via intermediate pieces, auxiliary pieces and different illuminations from 6-12V systems. Delamination is a problem and all optics should be checked.
Zeiss WL, 18, RA, 14 Left.jpg
Zeiss WL, 18, RA, 14 Left.jpg (106.32 KiB) Viewed 12357 times
Zeiss Standard WL, 18 and 14.jpg
Zeiss Standard WL, 18 and 14.jpg (102.19 KiB) Viewed 12352 times

PeteM

#17 Post by PeteM » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:07 am

Thanks, Charles, for catching my error on the 6 hole / 7 hole Zeiss nosepieces.

nbnserge

#18 Post by nbnserge » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:17 am

Big thanks to everybody for very interesting suggestions
For the budget , I would say 800 - 900euro for the scope
then I will be glad if I could find additional parts easily

the Leitz/Zeiss and Olympus BH.. seem interesting for me

75RR

#19 Post by 75RR » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:59 am

nbnserge wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:07 pm
first modification that comes to mind is LED replacement
Many of the microscopes from these manufacturers (depending on the model) have the option of adding a 100w Halogen lamphouse, that would be preferable to attempting a DIY LED replacement.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

apochronaut

#20 Post by apochronaut » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:27 pm

nbnserge wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:17 am

The budget should have been the first piece of information you offered, otherwise the question has no answer.
One other piece of information is how big a microscope do you want? The footprint is important. Most 100 watt microscopes, which is an illumination output you will need for certain features, such as high resolution DF, fluorescence , high resolution D.I.C. and even phase in some cases, will usually result in the microscope being bigger and bulkier.
If you want a compact microscope, you may have limitations as to just how many accessories you can add to it.
For instance, I know where there is a Reichert Polyvar, completely tricked out....DF, phase, D.I.C. , planapos for 1500.00. Very little mentioned above could touch it in performance but it is as yet unsold because 1) it would cost a small fortune to ship 2) it is really too much microscope for most people, just too big. Even with the shipping though, it would have an excellent cost/performance quotient, which is the best way to evaluate microscope models.
The discussion above has elements of daydreaming. That's all well and good if you aren't the one having to lay out the cash for the microscope but when that part of the acquisition comes to light sometimes the optics don't match the reality.

Charles

#21 Post by Charles » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:05 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:27 pm
nbnserge wrote:

The budget should have been the first piece of information you offered, otherwise the question has no answer.
One other piece of information is how big a microscope do you want? The footprint is important. Most 100 watt microscopes, which is an illumination output you will need for certain features, such as high resolution DF, fluorescence , high resolution D.I.C. and even phase in some cases, will usually result in the microscope being bigger and bulkier.
If you want a compact microscope, you may have limitations as to just how many accessories you can add to it.
For instance, I know where there is a Reichert Polyvar, completely tricked out....DF, phase, D.I.C. , planapos for 1500.00. Very little mentioned above could touch it in performance but it is as yet unsold because 1) it would cost a small fortune to ship 2) it is really too much microscope for most people, just too big. Even with the shipping though, it would have an excellent cost/performance quotient, which is the best way to evaluate microscope models.
The discussion above has elements of daydreaming. That's all well and good if you aren't the one having to lay out the cash for the microscope but when that part of the acquisition comes to light sometimes the optics don't match the reality.
You say budget is what matters in scope selection, yet you suggest a microscope which is way over his budget with very high shipping cost for such a large microscope on top of that. Go figure.

All the Zeiss standards 14-WL have a very small footprint and all can utilize the 12V 100W illumination.

viktor j nilsson

#22 Post by viktor j nilsson » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:22 pm

Charles wrote:]
You say budget is what matters in scope selection, yet you suggest a microscope which is way over his budget with very high shipping cost for such a large microscope on top of that. Go figure.

All the Zeiss standards 14-WL have a very small footprint and all can utilize the 12V 100W illumination.
That's exactly the reason I suggested a Zeiss standard. I am far from an expert on Zeiss, but from what I understand almost all the accessories from the finite era will work on the standard. So the potential to "tweak, modify" is excellent, and parts are common. Fluorescence and DIC is pretty easy to find. Delamination is the main problem, which has deterred me from going that route. The OP did not mention price, so I assumed that the question was more about supply of compatibile parts, than price. The common 39.5mm condenser mount is also very good if you want to mix and match with other brands.

For Nikon and Olympus, parts are not quite as easy to mix and match between older and newer models, and if you want DIC or 100w halogen you really need to make sure you start out with the right parts.

Leitz I don't know as much about, but it seems like you can often find incredible deals on fluorite and planapos. DIC seems incredibly rare. Not sure about the compatibility between old and new, but I believe it is less straightforward than with Zeiss.

But of course, with access to a lathe or 3D printer, almost any decent microscope stand is a good starting point to "tweak, modify".

Charles

#23 Post by Charles » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:42 pm

viktor j nilsson wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:22 pm
The OP did not mention price,
He said 800-900 euro.

viktor j nilsson

#24 Post by viktor j nilsson » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:01 pm

Charles wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:42 pm
viktor j nilsson wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:22 pm
The OP did not mention price,
He said 800-900 euro.
Yes, in post #18, after a lengthy discussion.

PeteM

#25 Post by PeteM » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:47 pm

It would also probably help for the OP to clarify what he meant by ease of making modifications, upgrades, and tweaks. I took it to mean doing some experimentation on his own with the microscope system as sort of an optical bench with which he'd try various objectives, illumination systems, condensers, heads, cameras, manipulators, stages, etc. etc.

If it's just the availability of spare parts within a system -- then those with the largest market share and the widest availability of components on the new and used markets would be best. I believe the Olympus BH2 was the best selling pro-quality biological microscope system of all time. Nikon Labophot/Optiphot likely second. Zeiss, by keeping the "Standard" standard for so many generations also has wide availability - probably equal to or better than Olympus, but with a greater need to check for delamination.

If it's actually DIY modifications, then (IM0) Nikon and Olympus rise to the top. As just one example, both Nikon and Olympus use simple dovetails for head, stage, and condenser mounts. They're easy to replicate and lots of sacrificial donor parts are available cheap. Having pursued the wafer inspection market, both also have lots of reflected light illuminators and DIC systems available as well.

Leitz/Leica is a bit more complex, both in design and the various product permutations. Superb microscopes, but harder to come up to speed with the product range (or find suitable parts) as a sort of optical erector set.

apochronaut

#26 Post by apochronaut » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:59 pm

Charles wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:05 pm
apochronaut wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:27 pm
nbnserge wrote:

I wasn't suggesting the o.p. buy into anything in particular, just that such options exist. It often does not make a lot of sense to purchase a bright field microscope of widely popular brands because the prices get inflated due to the interest level in them. Then the accessories to upgrade it to other features are also expensive.

LouiseScot

#27 Post by LouiseScot » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:13 pm

I know this is probably a bit on the fringe but it's possible to make your own setup. I spent ages trying to decide on which new 'made in China' infinity tube microscope to buy but, after much counselling on here, decided it would largely be a waste of money as I already had an old such finite scope. It's also really hard to get detailed information on those scopes. I did add a Nikon CF plan objective to my old finite scope and which I got on Ebay - much better than the Chinese ones! But the old Nikon CFs are few and far between in the UK. In the end I put together a focus rail based scope which is quite versatile, though has limitations. I don't have a condenser for it yet but hope to add one at some point :) The setup is just used for imaging or looking at slides via the camera/computer/monitor. It's not really finished yet and I've not done much with it for the last month, for various reasons. It's based on an MJKZZ Ultra Mini rail which can allow very fine motorised focus control, together with mostly T2 tubes (my other hobby is astronomy), and a Raynox DCR150 (http://extreme-macro.co.uk/raynox-tube-lenses/) used as an infinity tube lens. So I can use Nikon/Olympus/AMScope fluor infinity lenses on it (with appropriate thread adaptor). Of course, it's no problem to make another tube just for finite lenses if required though I've not bothered to do that. Anyway, I just ordered some antique diatom slides and hope to post some images of these at some point. The rail itself and the objectives are the most expensive parts though I was lucky to get a new 20x Nikon Plan Apo on Ebay for £350. The rail set me back Euros 569 and I bought various aluminium 2020 extrusion parts to make up the stand plus a cheap mechanical stage (which is ok but could definitely be improved upon!). Plus some 3D printing. I've been using a 5W mains LED lamp for illumination. Still, it all works ok and gives good images.

Here's a couple of pics of it:
Rail3.jpg
Rail3.jpg (52.79 KiB) Viewed 12095 times
Rail2.jpg
Rail2.jpg (51.17 KiB) Viewed 12095 times
Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

75RR

#28 Post by 75RR » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:13 pm

LouiseScot wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:13 pm
Anyway, I just ordered some antique diatom slides and hope to post some images of these at some point.
That would be interesting to see!
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

BramHuntingNematodes

#29 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:49 pm

Wow nice that's a new level
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Challenger007

#30 Post by Challenger007 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Professional high-quality electron microscopes are much cooler than the usual desktop microscopes that we use at school. I used a school-type telescope so much when my son and I tried to study the stars. But when they found photos from powerful telescopes, this is heaven and earth. It is a pity, of course, that it is practically impossible to work with such telescopes in the public domain, and this requires special skills. I hope that space exploration will develop and we will be able to look at wonderful photos of the planets and the sun. I already have several new companies, and some of them have big development plans. Good development strategies are described here https://www.skyrora.com/post/space-set- ... green-jobs and I really want aerospace companies to develop and give us a chance to study something distant and incomprehensible at the moment.