Another Swift 380T Owner Take #2

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
MickH

Another Swift 380T Owner Take #2

#1 Post by MickH » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:14 pm

I finally got around to unpacking my Swift 380T and having a few moments to see what it can do.

A very kind member here sent me some slides they had prepared so that I had something available to view and to use as a reference point. I was simply blown away by both the quality of those slides and the performance of the microscope. Like many people here I hadn't touched a decent quality microscope since my school days (almost 50 years ago) so I was unprepared for what I saw through the eyepieces. As others have said here and elsewhere on the Interweb, photographs and videos taken through the 380T do not do it justice.

Once again, thanks very much to the member who sent those marvellous slides. :thumbsup:
Last edited by MickH on Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aging novice.

MickH

Re: Another Swift 380T Owner Take #2

#2 Post by MickH » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:55 pm

One thing that I've discovered is an inconvenience is storage space.

I'm not lucky enough to have an office or 'man-cave' so need to put it away when it's not in use. A storage box or case would be great however the only ones I've found online so far cost around ⅘ of what I paid for the microscope.

Has anyone here found a cheaper solution?
Aging novice.

LouiseScot

#3 Post by LouiseScot » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:42 pm

MickH wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:55 pm
One thing that I've discovered is an inconvenience is storage space.

I'm not lucky enough to have an office or 'man-cave' so need to put it away when it's not in use. A storage box or case would be great however the only ones I've found online so far cost around ⅘ of what I paid for the microscope.

Congrats on joining the 380T club! I'm lucky, I get to leave mine out :) I'm not recommending, just suggesting, but you might consider something similar to one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Plain- ... Sw2ihf-Mab or else maybe an acrylic box with a lid.

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:51 pm

MickH wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:55 pm
. . . A storage box or case would be great however the only ones I've found online so far cost around ⅘ of what I paid for the microscope.

I've found that the larger black padded zipper cases used for "Respironics" for some of their C-PAP machines are a good fit to smaller microscopes like the Omax, Swift, etc. These are often available near new and affordably in the US at places where people donate or sell household belongings (Goodwill, Salvation Army, sometimes not too expensive on Ebay). Many people will get a C-PAP machine paid by insurance and then discontinue use. Since few people want a used C-PAP machine, the cases end up being available. They look like this - probably under $10 if you find a local source: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-Respir ... SwbIlgFURO

For larger microscopes the Walter cases are good. They're sturdy, padded, and have a ballistic nylon outer covering. Avoid cases with vinyl plastic coverings - they just don't hold up and may outgass. I've bought a half dozen of the Walter cases and all have held up well to house BH2, Laborlux, and Labophot sized microscopes:

https://www.amazon.com/Walter-Products- ... 248&sr=8-1