My Zeiss

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
wstenberg

My Zeiss

#1 Post by wstenberg » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:49 am

100% Carl Zeiss.
Any else have one like this?
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (259.46 KiB) Viewed 5415 times
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

ImperatorRex

Re: My Zeiss

#2 Post by ImperatorRex » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:49 pm

Wow, very impressive design! Probabely it is unique?

microb

#3 Post by microb » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:37 pm

wstenberg wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:49 am
100% Carl Zeiss.
Any else have one like this?
Toolmakers microscope?

MicroBob

#4 Post by MicroBob » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:43 pm

The tube head seems to be the same as in the Invertoskop D, but used the other way round.

wstenberg

#5 Post by wstenberg » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:46 pm

Good eye. Thanks for comments.
It's a Zeiss micro-hardness tester stand. Then a small rack from an industrial epi-microscope. Then a stage holder from a Stereomicroscope. And an inverted Invertoskop D. The Stage is some miscellaneous shop-built stage holder with a Zeiss stage. Parts from at least 5 different microscopes that were never intended to be used together. But it works! I put it all together just as a test. This won't be a final working configuration.
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:09 am

Hi William,
and it is completely theft proof too!
Do you have a certain use in mind?

I just came to an Invertoskop D and so recognized this unusual part. Do you still have the rest of this Invertoskop?

Bob

wstenberg

#7 Post by wstenberg » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:45 pm

OH, yes. After this experiment, I put it back on the Invertoskop.
I have two Invertoskops, and I'm trying to sell one of them. My lab is getting crowded! I'm trying to be a researcher, not a collector...
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

MicroBob

#8 Post by MicroBob » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:45 am

Have you seen the Invertoskops in regular use? The eyepieces are placed at bellybutton height and without a sturdy box below them they are more or less unusable. I don't quit understand what Zeiss thought to design them like this. With a box below they are nice, 5-seat-nosepiece and bulletproof mechanics. Apparently they were close to 10000 DM (about 5000€) when new.

wstenberg

#9 Post by wstenberg » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:19 pm

All I can figure about the Invertoskop is that the engineers wanted to make many parts interchangeable with the Standard. It's a nice design, but I agree that it must be placed on a box to get the correct viewing height.
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

enricosavazzi

#10 Post by enricosavazzi » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:25 pm

I have the exact same stand and coarse focuser. Mine came with a monocular head and a ~3x long-working-distance objective that look typical for a mechanical shop microscope (although I guess they could also be used for hardness tests).

The optics were not particularly good, and chromatic aberration without the built-in green filter was quite high. I discarded the head and objective and replaced them with a custom-adapted fine focus mechanism (a Melles-Griot stainless steel micrometric linear stage with double rows of steel bearings) and an Arca-compatible clamp to attach a camera or a lens collar. I use the modified stage for photomacrography to take advantage of the long geared rack on the column, although it is stiff enough also for microscopy work.

wstenberg

#11 Post by wstenberg » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:36 pm

I have the exact same stand and coarse focuser. Mine came with a monocular head and a ~3x long-working-distance objective that look typical for a mechanical shop microscope (although I guess they could also be used for hardness tests).
Wow, great information. Mine had some parts of the head remaining, but was incomplete; I had no optics, the electrical components were missing as well. I determined that it was a microhardness tester from comparing it to pictures on the internet- but this was never 100% confirmed. So, a toolroom microscope is a likely possibility.
I don't use it as configured in the photo. That was just an experiment. I use it for my Tessovar.

Can you post a photo of yours?
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

wstenberg

#12 Post by wstenberg » Tue May 04, 2021 8:29 pm

I just noticed similar electrical plugs on a wafer inspection probe station. That's my new theory about the stand. Mine originally came with a strange turret and non-RMS objectives. It currently serves as my Tessovar stand!
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

Scarodactyl

#13 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue May 04, 2021 11:38 pm

Typically wafer inspection microscopes tend to use the same basic architecture as other measuring microscopes, hardness testers, toolmaker's scopes etc. So that would not be surprising. Which objectives came on it (or what thread they were) would be a strong hint too.