Zeiss Condenser with polarised phase rings

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
StandardX

Zeiss Condenser with polarised phase rings

#1 Post by StandardX » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:12 pm

Greetings to all.
I recently acquired an old Zeiss Photomic II stand - still with a few useful bits attached.
I've just taken the condenser off to take a better look - and it's not something I have seen before..... It looks likes the normal, older type multi position condenser - the type, with achr. apl. 1.4 screw on top lens - and with metal rather than plastic cover. Its a bit tatty, but all working and with good optics - so I'm pleased about that!
It has the "normal" J - Bright field, a D - Darkfield and Phase positions 2 & 3 - the numbers on the dial appear off-white in colour and the phase annuli are mirrored underneath and jet black on top - like other phase condensers I have.
It then has two further positions, also labelled 2 & 3 - but this time in a what appears to be (grubby) light blue. The phase annuli in these are not black - but transparent with a silvery mirrored appearance. On first trial on a WL with phase objectives, it gave not phase contrast, but bright field. Only when I swung in a polariser did I realise that the annuli of the light blue positions are polarised, thus on rotation of the sub-stage polariser the phase contrast effect moved between fully active to normal brightfield - with the intermediate effect being "interesting", but not great (when looking at diatoms).
This appears to be a factory-fitted - the numbers are etched in - but I cannot find anything in the Zeiss literature referring to this. I would therefore be most grateful if anyone can tell me more and suggest what the benefits might be, if any.
With thanks,
Ben
Attachments
Con3.jpg
Con3.jpg (76.51 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
Con2.jpg
Con2.jpg (73.68 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
Con1.jpg
Con1.jpg (136.91 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
Zeiss Standards & WL: Wild M3Z & M5: Zeiss Tessovar

75RR

Re: Zeiss Condenser with polarised phase rings

#2 Post by 75RR » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:40 pm

From page 91 of the Zeiss Optical Systems Brochure
Attachments
Page-91-Zeiss-Optical-Systems.jpg
Page-91-Zeiss-Optical-Systems.jpg (54.72 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

StandardX

Re: Zeiss Condenser with polarised phase rings

#3 Post by StandardX » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:59 pm

Many thanks for the reply - that solves that little mystery for me!

Much appreciated

Ben
Zeiss Standards & WL: Wild M3Z & M5: Zeiss Tessovar