Nikon Binocular

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
lumiecraft

Nikon Binocular

#1 Post by lumiecraft » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:57 am

This is my vintage Nikon. I need to find out more information on this beastie and how to utilize the goodies on this microscope. I don't have a manual nor can I find a specific model to look at that would be a more complete setup. I know it has a port for attaching a camera. Image

Here is the link to all the images: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XisNQbQaKARgUhPu9

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
I have never used a microscope like this before. My goal is to do videos and photos.

Scarodactyl

Re: Nikon Binocular

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:05 am

This is a Nikon s series, predecessor to the -phot line. Yours looks like it has a partial illuminator on it and is configured for metallurgical usage (note the epi objectives). That means you'll have some trouble using it for traditional biological microscope stuff, but it should be good for looking at subjects with no cover glass, especially if you get that coaxial illuminator set up. This may not be a good one to start out on if you want to look at 'normal' microscope stuff under a cover slip (pond life and whatnot).

deBult

#3 Post by deBult » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:28 pm

And no camera port! A large format film camera is on one of your pictures.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:57 pm

One of the first things you might want to check is the fine focus gear. These were plastic and now often split with age and mishandling. Sometimes the fine focus will sort of work with a rough spot at the split. Sometimes it won't smoothly raise and lower the stage. A replacement gear is now hard to source - some one here may have a current source and price if yours is broken. You can still use the microscope - it will just be harder to focus it at higher magnifications.

Once you get an illuminator attached this could be a very decent epi microscope as explained by Scarodactyl. While those were primarily used for opaque specimens, it will also do nicely for things like blood smears.

lumiecraft

#5 Post by lumiecraft » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:56 am

Thanks for the responses. I did know that the person I got it from used it for investigating computer boards. They did not know where the Illuminator light went. I can fabricate something with a good LED light. I'll check out how well it will or will not work for traditional work. What I have read is that you can use a normal light from under for traditional work as well as illuminated work for larger items. I'll play with that. I did notice that the fine adjustment is a bit wonky. Im going to take it apart to have a look. Maybe someone can make a metal replacement with metal 3D printing.

I did figure that the side port is the illuminator port and not a camera port. Bummer. I noticed on the illuminator there is an aluminum filter holder that is bent slightly so it will take a bit to get it to work properly again. The other thing is a pin on the illuminator on the body which also pulls out or pushes in. It does something inside but I don't know what. Maybe it shuts off the light preventing light from under coming through the outer ring of the objective.

I'll play around with it some more.

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:00 am

Just realize that you face a couple issues using this for slides.

First, there is no light source and condenser for below the stage. You could do something like a LED headlight and maybe use it up to around 100 or possibly 200x without a condenser. But it won't have the best resolution.

Second, the objectives you have are meant for use without a cover slip. Up to about 200x they'll do OK with slides and cover slips. At 400x and above they won't give a sharp focus.

If you find a way around the fine focus gear problem (and let us know what you find), you might consider just buying another cheap Nikon S with a trinocular head (usable on both scopes) and ideally something like the S-ke or S-kt with (if memory serves on model designations) Kohler illumination. These will have a top hat sort of looking illumination at the bottom and a proper condenser under the stage.