My Microscopes and Amscope Purchases

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Red_Green

My Microscopes and Amscope Purchases

#1 Post by Red_Green » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:48 pm

Here is my microscopes and everything thus far I have purchased from Amscope. Only really posting because there doesn't seem to be a lot of knowledge out there on Amscope products which makes people not trusting of Amscope. Like when I finished college and graduated from my fish and wildlife technician program. I had so much fun with the microscopy aspects of the program that I wanted to continue with that on my own. I was worried I wouldn't be able to achieve the same quality as what I used in college. College used Leica microscopes. My setup now at home is extremely better than what I used in college. Despite what people say online and stuff, I am really happy with my Amscope setup.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (156.2 KiB) Viewed 7049 times
Amscope Purchases

T490B Compound Microscope - SKU: T490B-DK

Darkfield condenser - SKU: DK-DRY100 (came with microscope)
Canon DSLR Adapter - SKU: CA-CAN-SLR
WF10X Microscope Eyepiece with Reticle (23mm) - SKU: EP10X23R
Stage Calibration Slide - SKU: MR095
20X Achromatic Microscope Objective - SKU: A20X-V300
60X Plan Achromatic Objective Lens with Knurled Ring - SKU: PA60XK-V300
Turret Phase-Contrast and Brightfield Kit - SKU: PCT

Stereo Microscope SM-1TZ - SKU: SM-1TZ

144 LED Intensity-adjustable Ring Light - SKU: LED-144B-ZK
0.5X Barlow Lens - SKU: SM05 (came with microscope)
2X Barlow Lens - SKU: SM20 (came with microscope)

Other Stuff

Microscope Slide Wooden Box (100 Slide Capacity) - SKU: PS100-WB

72 Pre-Cleaned Blank Plate Microscope Slides and 12 Single Depression Concave Slides + 100 Coverslips
- SKU: BSC12-72P100S22

I just ordered the 60x plan objective and phase contrast kit, so I cannot comment on those but everything else on this list I have been happy with.

A few things worth mentioning though are;

The darkfield condenser is not worth the extra cost. It is a well built condenser and everything I just never use it because I like to switch between darkfield, brightfield and rheinberg depending on what I am doing at any given time. You can't do that with the darkfield condenser. If your just using darkfield, it's perfect though up to 20x. Now I just use darkfield filters that a forum member here 3D printed for me.

The 20X Achromatic Microscope Objective sometimes gets hazy after a long period of use. I think it's because of the heat off the halogen. Still decent though. I really should of opted for the plan version though.

144 LED Intensity-adjustable Ring Light is indeed a good light but personal preference in hindsight, I would have went with gooseneck lighting just because the ring light has overhead glare which I don't like.

Other than that I am happy with everything.

Crater Eddie

Re: My Microscopes and Amscope Purchases

#2 Post by Crater Eddie » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:59 pm

The best (any piece of gear) is the one you use.
Great photo.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

Greg Howald

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:04 pm

You have purchased a pair of Amscope's most versatile scopes. I have not purchased a 490 because of its size.
It is one of their top sellers. I would have purchased one but because of essential tremor in my hands I need more robust equipment. With over 2000 various scopes, their tech support isn't very good but the scopes are up to par.
There is one person there named Nico who knows a lot about the products and can be very helpful.
Greg

Placozoa

#4 Post by Placozoa » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:36 pm

I own an amscope and its fine, I have been using it the most lately actually. :)

InstantMochiii

#5 Post by InstantMochiii » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:57 pm

Red_Green wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:48 pm
Here is my microscopes and everything thus far I have purchased from Amscope. Only really posting because there doesn't seem to be a lot of knowledge out there on Amscope products which makes people not trusting of Amscope. Like when I finished college and graduated from my fish and wildlife technician program. I had so much fun with the microscopy aspects of the program that I wanted to continue with that on my own. I was worried I wouldn't be able to achieve the same quality as what I used in college. College used Leica microscopes. My setup now at home is extremely better than what I used in college. Despite what people say online and stuff, I am really happy with my Amscope setup.

Untitled.jpg

Amscope Purchases

T490B Compound Microscope - SKU: T490B-DK

Darkfield condenser - SKU: DK-DRY100 (came with microscope)
Canon DSLR Adapter - SKU: CA-CAN-SLR
WF10X Microscope Eyepiece with Reticle (23mm) - SKU: EP10X23R
Stage Calibration Slide - SKU: MR095
20X Achromatic Microscope Objective - SKU: A20X-V300
60X Plan Achromatic Objective Lens with Knurled Ring - SKU: PA60XK-V300
Turret Phase-Contrast and Brightfield Kit - SKU: PCT

Stereo Microscope SM-1TZ - SKU: SM-1TZ

144 LED Intensity-adjustable Ring Light - SKU: LED-144B-ZK
0.5X Barlow Lens - SKU: SM05 (came with microscope)
2X Barlow Lens - SKU: SM20 (came with microscope)

Other Stuff

Microscope Slide Wooden Box (100 Slide Capacity) - SKU: PS100-WB

72 Pre-Cleaned Blank Plate Microscope Slides and 12 Single Depression Concave Slides + 100 Coverslips
- SKU: BSC12-72P100S22

I just ordered the 60x plan objective and phase contrast kit, so I cannot comment on those but everything else on this list I have been happy with.

A few things worth mentioning though are;

The darkfield condenser is not worth the extra cost. It is a well built condenser and everything I just never use it because I like to switch between darkfield, brightfield and rheinberg depending on what I am doing at any given time. You can't do that with the darkfield condenser. If your just using darkfield, it's perfect though up to 20x. Now I just use darkfield filters that a forum member here 3D printed for me.

The 20X Achromatic Microscope Objective sometimes gets hazy after a long period of use. I think it's because of the heat off the halogen. Still decent though. I really should of opted for the plan version though.

144 LED Intensity-adjustable Ring Light is indeed a good light but personal preference in hindsight, I would have went with gooseneck lighting just because the ring light has overhead glare which I don't like.

Other than that I am happy with everything.
Ok, so I'm thinking of this microscope, so I have a few questions...

1) Where did you get the phase contrast turret kit? Is it compatible with the T490?

2) Does the halogen work ok and not kill sensitive organisms? I heard that halogen can do that, and so I'm thinking to get the LED version, but the LED version is only 3W. (Darkfield won't work as well) :(

3) Who 3D printed the darkfield filter for you? :D Would they be willing to print one for meeee? I can payyy

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, haha. I'm just very lost on which microscope to get... :)

Red_Green

#6 Post by Red_Green » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:45 pm

InstantMochiii wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:57 pm

1) Where did you get the phase contrast turret kit? Is it compatible with the T490?

2) Does the halogen work ok and not kill sensitive organisms? I heard that halogen can do that, and so I'm thinking to get the LED version, but the LED version is only 3W. (Darkfield won't work as well) :(

3) Who 3D printed the darkfield filter for you? :D Would they be willing to print one for meeee? I can payyy

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, haha. I'm just very lost on which microscope to get... :)
No worries. It's hard picking a first microscope. I had tons of questions when I was looking too. I couldn't find the answers I wanted to know though. So I made these threads to help people out.

I bought the phase contrast kit direct from Amscope's website. Being in Canada it ended up being $1,200. With customs fees, shipping, currency conversion, shipping etc.
I find Amazon in Canada.ca seems to be price gouging since the pandemic started and Amscope products in general are like double the price for some reason. So I just buy direct from Amscope. Usually arrives in 3-4 days.

I highly recommend it though. I absolutely love it. It is compatible with the t490B . It lists compatibility right on Amscopes website.
Also if you can afford it, Amscope sells the T490B with a phase kit. Had I of known that I would of ordered that one instead of the darkfield one.

https://www.amscope.com/40x-2000x-lab-c ... scope.html

I bought the darkfield stops from this guy who made this thread. Not sure if he's still doing it for people but you could get in contact with him. The stops he made for me are awesome.
https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... 12&t=12086

As for the halogen, it will kill stuff and dry out your slides. However the slide has to be over the light for about an hour, maybe an hour and a half before this starts happening. So it's not really a huge issue. I find it's about that time I am ready for another drop of water or whatever anyways. I prefer halogen to LED anyways. Which is weird because for everything else in life I prefer LED. I just find LED is just too soft and cool of a light to really bring out details in microscopic view.

My T490B Has the plan phase 10x, 20x. 40x installed. At any given time I alternate between the 4x the T490B came with and a 60x plan objective. The 4x is good for scanning, darkfield and larger subjects. The 60x is good for tiny things you want to get closer too.

Microworld Steve

#7 Post by Microworld Steve » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:30 pm

I bought an AmScope, liked it and bought another AmScope. They are good quality scopes.
If I can't see it with my microscope, it ain't worth looking at. :D

InstantMochiii

#8 Post by InstantMochiii » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:54 pm

Red_Green wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:45 pm
InstantMochiii wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:57 pm

No worries. It's hard picking a first microscope. I had tons of questions when I was looking too. I couldn't find the answers I wanted to know though. So I made these threads to help people out.

I bought the phase contrast kit direct from Amscope's website. Being in Canada it ended up being $1,200. With customs fees, shipping, currency conversion, shipping etc.
I find Amazon in Canada.ca seems to be price gouging since the pandemic started and Amscope products in general are like double the price for some reason. So I just buy direct from Amscope. Usually arrives in 3-4 days.

I highly recommend it though. I absolutely love it. It is compatible with the t490B . It lists compatibility right on Amscopes website.
Also if you can afford it, Amscope sells the T490B with a phase kit. Had I of known that I would of ordered that one instead of the darkfield one.

https://www.amscope.com/40x-2000x-lab-c ... scope.html

I bought the darkfield stops from this guy who made this thread. Not sure if he's still doing it for people but you could get in contact with him. The stops he made for me are awesome.
https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... 12&t=12086

As for the halogen, it will kill stuff and dry out your slides. However the slide has to be over the light for about an hour, maybe an hour and a half before this starts happening. So it's not really a huge issue. I find it's about that time I am ready for another drop of water or whatever anyways. I prefer halogen to LED anyways. Which is weird because for everything else in life I prefer LED. I just find LED is just too soft and cool of a light to really bring out details in microscopic view.

My T490B Has the plan phase 10x, 20x. 40x installed. At any given time I alternate between the 4x the T490B came with and a 60x plan objective. The 4x is good for scanning, darkfield and larger subjects. The 60x is good for tiny things you want to get closer too.
XD Thank you for answering my questions! I think that I'll probably (most likely definitely) get the Amscope T490B, haha XD.

PeteM

#9 Post by PeteM » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:17 pm

[/quote] . . . As for the halogen, it will kill stuff and dry out your slides. However the slide has to be over the light for about an hour, maybe an hour and a half before this starts happening. So it's not really a huge issue. I find it's about that time I am ready for another drop of water or whatever anyways. I prefer halogen to LED anyways. Which is weird because for everything else in life I prefer LED. I just find LED is just too soft and cool of a light to really bring out details in microscopic view. . .
[/quote]

Just to add one point (and agreeing with the above), for those considering various microscopes.

One way better/older microscopes dealt with heat was to put the light source at the back of the microscope and then put an IR heat filter, condenser, mirror, and iris in the light path through the base and up to the condenser. Most of the heat went straight up - but outside the stage area. Ample ventilation further reduced the heat reaching the stage. Even 100 watt sources become manageable.

Cost-reduced scopes often put the light source directly under the field lens. If it's a halogen bulb, most of the heat goes straight up into the stage. Even LEDS will add noticeable heat - and this sort of design with LED often uses a diffuser, a simple lens, and no iris -- thus providing that harder to control and "softer" look.

Another affordable approach for those hoping to retrofit a bright lamp -- in addition to a 5-20 watt plus LED -- is to use a fiber optic illumination with the lamp well away from the stage. This can only be easily done when retrofitting older tungsten or halogen lamps located at the back or side of the microscope.

Rossf

#10 Post by Rossf » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:32 pm

Hey Red_Green what is the magnification range on the stereo like including the .5 and 2x Barlow-I’m starting to really want a stereo and feel completely overwhelmed as I s’pose I haven’t though about them too much except in high school creeping myself out looking at two house spiders fight to the death-some things become disturbingly knarly at certain magnification! I agree about halogen or even tungsten-looks nicer and photographs nicer-those blue-ish LED’s are really horrible-I got one of those greenish heat absorbing filters as it keeps specimens cooler but more importantly takes out the IR pollution in darker areas of pics and video as modern digital sensors are very sensitive to it-it can be really hard to remove the pink cast without upsetting other colours. Have you taken photos from the stereo yet? Do you get the bigger depth of field like when looking through eyepiece-I don’t mean the 3-D effect but the extended range of acceptable focus?
Regards ross

Greg Howald

#11 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:50 pm

You made ecellent choices.
Greg

Red_Green

#12 Post by Red_Green » Tue May 04, 2021 12:59 am

Rossf wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:32 pm
Hey Red_Green what is the magnification range on the stereo like including the .5 and 2x Barlow-I’m starting to really want a stereo and feel completely overwhelmed as I s’pose I haven’t though about them too much except in high school creeping myself out looking at two house spiders fight to the death-some things become disturbingly knarly at certain magnification! I agree about halogen or even tungsten-looks nicer and photographs nicer-those blue-ish LED’s are really horrible-I got one of those greenish heat absorbing filters as it keeps specimens cooler but more importantly takes out the IR pollution in darker areas of pics and video as modern digital sensors are very sensitive to it-it can be really hard to remove the pink cast without upsetting other colours. Have you taken photos from the stereo yet? Do you get the bigger depth of field like when looking through eyepiece-I don’t mean the 3-D effect but the extended range of acceptable focus?
Regards ross
I am actually unsure to be honest. I rarely use the barlow lenses. The only time I do really, is when i'm looking at stuff that is too big to fit entirely in the field of view. Which has so far just been ichneumon wasps. The depth of field is not bad. Here, i'll add some pics. Although my focusing screen in my dslr needs to be replaced. Black streaks. Still takes alright pictures.
large (1).jpeg
large (1).jpeg (116.85 KiB) Viewed 6229 times
large (2).jpeg
large (2).jpeg (130.34 KiB) Viewed 6229 times
large (3).jpeg
large (3).jpeg (97.98 KiB) Viewed 6229 times
large (4).jpeg
large (4).jpeg (148.53 KiB) Viewed 6229 times
large (5).jpeg
large (5).jpeg (111.84 KiB) Viewed 6229 times

Red_Green

#13 Post by Red_Green » Tue May 04, 2021 1:00 am

large (1).jpg
large (1).jpg (196.86 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
large (6).jpeg
large (6).jpeg (114.4 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
large (7).jpeg
large (7).jpeg (139.89 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
large.jpeg
large.jpeg (118.88 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
large.jpg
large.jpg (179.38 KiB) Viewed 6228 times

Red_Green

#14 Post by Red_Green » Tue May 04, 2021 1:01 am

large (2).jpg
large (2).jpg (82.98 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
large (3).jpg
large (3).jpg (157.61 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
large (8).jpeg
large (8).jpeg (125.6 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
large (9).jpeg
large (9).jpeg (75.21 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
large (10).jpeg
large (10).jpeg (90.86 KiB) Viewed 6228 times

Red_Green

#15 Post by Red_Green » Tue May 04, 2021 1:02 am

large (11).jpeg
large (11).jpeg (137.59 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
large (12).jpeg
large (12).jpeg (199.36 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
large (4).jpg
large (4).jpg (119.71 KiB) Viewed 6224 times
large (5).jpg
large (5).jpg (85.24 KiB) Viewed 6224 times
large (6).jpg
large (6).jpg (139.51 KiB) Viewed 6224 times

Greg Howald

#16 Post by Greg Howald » Tue May 04, 2021 3:46 am

Really good photos. Thanks for sharing.
Greg

Rossf

#17 Post by Rossf » Wed May 05, 2021 4:02 am

Nice photos—I can see the improvements just in that sequence alone that you are problem shooting-ie a bit more CA in the earlier and more creative lighting buy the later picks-your a natural with scope an camera-just one question-did we have to see the ticks’s bum hole that many times!?
Regards ross