"New" Zeiss, unsure of model

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
kinase

"New" Zeiss, unsure of model

#1 Post by kinase » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:21 pm

Haven't been here or used a microscope in years due to a change in my line of work but I've suddenly I've acquired this old Zeiss. I'm unsure of the model but it's definitely old because it was made in West Germany, not Germany. It has all air, 2x, 3.4x, 40x phase, 63x phase, the correct phase rings for those objectives, and a nice 1.4NA capable condenser. Not pictured is the giant transformer for the light, which gets extremely hot. Perhaps I can convert it to LED when this bulb eventually dies. Overall, it's in pretty good shape. There's a lot of dirt and grime and such on the eyepieces and the glass for the field diaphragm. It's more than simple dust too, is there a way to clean these to remove a lot of this? This doesn't seem like a simple "use an air blower" job. I'm used to top end research confocal scopes, so having dirty equipment is new for me

If anyone can identify that'd help too. I'd like to get a 20x phase objective because there's a huge gap between 3.4x and 40x. It'd be nice if it could match one of the phase rings I already have because I imagine those are hard to find, though I could perhaps 3D print one.

Last question: what do I need to attach a camera to this? The trinocular is a first for me, I have a fuji X mirrorless camera with the ability to adapt to canon FD lenses. There's also an eyepiece in the trinocular, not sure if that has to do with attach a camera or not.
Attachments
DSCF1986_1.jpg
DSCF1986_1.jpg (131.78 KiB) Viewed 2871 times

Hobbyst46

Re: "New" Zeiss, unsure of model

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:54 pm

Congratulations ! a Zeiss Standard WL I think, trinocular, phase contrast, rotating stage, external halogen lamp !!
Check the catalogue number on the condenser top plate. It might be model 465277, for example, with brightfield, darkfield and phase contrasts Ph2 and Ph3. Or a condenser with brightfield, Ph1, Ph2, Ph3. Maybe another model number and an arrow mark on it, it is DIC as well... the lottery prize...I suspect it is DIC.
There is no 20X phase contrast objective for the Standard, AFAIK. The 10X PC objective is Ph1; there are 16X Ph2 and 25X Ph2. Achromats, or (better) plan achromats, or Neofluars.
Fitting a camera can be done afocally, using a photo eyepiece or a KPL viewing eyepiece, AND a camera lens; or via eyepiece projection, without a camera lens.

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:08 pm

Congratulations, definitely a Zeiss WL ... beautiful and capable research microscope

Here is a link to a brochure in german: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5czbydoytn53e ... L.pdf?dl=0

I see it even has the original base! I am using a Jamie Oliver cookbook while I wait patiently for a reasonably priced one to appear on ebay :)

As a Zeiss Standard it is part of the 160 finite system, see brochure: http://www.science-info.net/docs/zeiss/ ... ystems.pdf
Not pictured is the giant transformer for the light, which gets extremely hot. Perhaps I can convert it to LED when this bulb eventually dies.
Do show photo of the transformer.

Don't rush into a LED conversion - there is more to it than many realize. It is more of a fashion than a necessity in many cases and needs to be done correctly.
Last edited by 75RR on Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

kinase

#4 Post by kinase » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:12 pm

The condensers cat number is 465277, it appears to have phase 1/2/3, brightfield with variable aperture, and the rest are empty. Given the third phase ring, which I didn't notice before, I imagine there was at some point a compatible phase objective on here. Maybe I will go to where I got this and see if I can find it. The 40x and 63x are Neofluars. I'll have to get what i need to attach a camera so I can get to posting images.

Thanks for the links too. I was hoping it'd be easier but yeah, I guess it wouldn't be. Normally I worried about frying my samples with lasers but now I guess I have to worry about the white light :lol:

Here's the transformer.
Attachments
IMG_0166.jpg
IMG_0166.jpg (108.3 KiB) Viewed 2822 times

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:11 pm

I have the same transformer, it should not get very hot. You might want to open it and have a look.

Do note that with the 60w lamp-house you should not exceed 5 A. See markings on image below:

See also light-bulb Rerated life extension formula.

Note that design life for the 60w bulb is 100h at 12v. If maximum voltage applied is 10v then life of the bulb is extended to around 1000h give or take a bit.
Attachments
red warning lines.jpg
red warning lines.jpg (54.06 KiB) Viewed 2808 times
bulb life.png
bulb life.png (35.22 KiB) Viewed 2808 times
Last edited by 75RR on Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:43 pm

IF the condenser cat no is 465277 it is a J (BF) D (DF) Ph2 Ph3 positions, Achromat-Aplanat NA=1.4 (or 0.32 without the screw-in top lens) and does not support Ph1.

kinase

#7 Post by kinase » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:18 pm

I see, indeed it is darkfield. At first I thought that was a phase ring because I'd never seen a darkfield setup before. Phase and fluorescence are pretty much all you see in biology research nowadays, otherwise just plain old H&E stains if it's medical doctors showing images. Well, hopefully I can get the stuff I need for my camera soon and get to taking images.

Hobbyst46

#8 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:32 pm

kinase wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:18 pm
I see, indeed it is darkfield. At first I thought that was a phase ring because I'd never seen a darkfield setup before. Phase and fluorescence are pretty much all you see in biology research nowadays, otherwise just plain old H&E stains if it's medical doctors showing images. Well, hopefully I can get the stuff I need for my camera soon and get to taking images.
AFAIK biology research involves a lot of DIC - maybe more than phase even... Anyway, you can do darkfield with the Ph3 position (and 10X or lower objectives) or with the D position (up to NA ~0.8, and with the condenser oiled to the slide).