7X-45X Dual Lit 6W LED Trinocular Stereo

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
LeonhardEuler

7X-45X Dual Lit 6W LED Trinocular Stereo

#1 Post by LeonhardEuler » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:50 pm

I just bought this beast today. Should arrive tomorrow morning

Greg Howald

Re: 7X-45X Dual Lit 6W LED Trinocular Stereo

#2 Post by Greg Howald » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:23 pm

That is a really good choice.

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:19 pm

Congratulations! Exciting times ahead for you!

I had one of these a while back and it served me very well indeed.
Eventually I was able to moved over to Nikon but this little beauty is superb value for money given it's very nice performance, in my experience of it.

Look forward to seeing how you get on!
John B

LeonhardEuler

#4 Post by LeonhardEuler » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:55 pm

mrsonchus wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:19 pm

Eventually I was able to moved over to Nikon but this little beauty is superb value for money given it's very nice performance, in my experience of it.

It's really quite cool, I received it and used it on a few things. I already scratched that light emitting plate in the bottom of the unit though :(

I realized I am supposed to use that only if I need it, and it has an opaque disk that is tough and wont get scratched that it normally goes with so I am using that now.

One complaint is my camera seems to be zoomed in way too far, I wonder if I need a special camera for the stereo microscope that simply does not have such a high magnification? Any suggestions on a good (but cheap if possible) camera for a stereo microscope btw?

SilverWolf

#5 Post by SilverWolf » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:53 pm

What is the camera you are using and how are you connecting it? Any reduction optics? Have you adjusted the photo-tube till parfocal with the eyepieces, little bit more info will help others.
Cheers
Wolf :ugeek:

Scarodactyl

#6 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:09 pm

This is a typical problem. These cameras have extremely tiny sensors, and even with a 0.5x reduction lens you get an enormous crop factor. If you don't have a 0.5x adapter it will improve things dramatically, to the point that it's usable (though perhaps annoying).

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:17 pm

The problem as experienced, that is of the camera's image being only a small part of the total image seen through the eyepieces is a very well-known and common one. Simply-stated perhaps, it's a matter of the image produced at the eyepieces and 'up the photo-tube' being far larger than the size of the sensor of your camera. The image needs to be reduced with an extra lens in the optical path between the photo-tube and the camera's sensor- so-called 'reduction optics'.

At the moment think of it as having a slide projector (the microscope photo-tube) used with a projector-screen that's far too small - much of the image is being projected therefore beyond the screen's edges (screen = camera's sensor)...

This forum is packed with info about this problem/experience and you'll find lots of posts if you search the forum for something like 'photo eyepiece' or 'reduction optics'.....
Meanwhile folks who will be able to answer you with great knowledge here will need to know the camera you are using and therefore it's sensor-type/size. There are many ways to capture more of what is seen through the eyepieces and may probably be said to get more expensive and involved as more of the image is captured....
John B

LeonhardEuler

#8 Post by LeonhardEuler » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:00 pm

mrsonchus wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:19 pm

I love my stereo microscope. I have had it for a week or so now and I dont take many pictures through it, but it has been very useful for me when i am dissection specimens for my compound microscope. And I have used it for various applications that have come up in my life such as cleaning objectives or even just looking at weed tbh; It's legal where I live and it looks pretty cool under a stereo microscope imo