I just bought a new stereo microscope

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
DonSchaeffer

I just bought a new stereo microscope

#1 Post by DonSchaeffer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:44 am

Amscope 10X-30X Compact Multi-Lens Stereo Microscope with Angled Head, Metal Pillar Stand, Top Lighting

God help me!

DrPhoxinus

Re: I just bought a new stereo microscope

#2 Post by DrPhoxinus » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:55 am

Congratulations Don,

I look forward to records of your new adventures

:-)

Gerard

DonSchaeffer

#3 Post by DonSchaeffer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:17 pm

I am going to use it for wet slide preparation mostly. I'm using a simple eyeglass magnifier now--not enough magnification and working distance.

dtsh

#4 Post by dtsh » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:02 pm

DonSchaeffer wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:17 pm
I am going to use it for wet slide preparation mostly. I'm using a simple eyeglass magnifier now--not enough magnification and working distance.
I don't know that model, but I think you will enjoy it. I look forward to seeing images from it, too.

DonSchaeffer

#5 Post by DonSchaeffer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:42 pm

Thanks. You may see images made on the compound microscope but sorted out with the stereo one.

GeekyWife

#6 Post by GeekyWife » Thu May 20, 2021 2:50 pm

DonSchaeffer wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:44 am
Amscope 10X-30X Compact Multi-Lens Stereo Microscope with Angled Head, Metal Pillar Stand, Top Lighting
Good choice. While I am happy with my Amscope 20X-40X stereo microscope, I do sometimes wish I could go down to 10X. I never use the supplied 20X eyepieces that would take it up to 80X.

I've researched getting 5X eyepieces for it, but the only one I see offered gets bad reviews because of narrow apparent field of view. That would defeat the entire purpose of going to lower power.

Can anyone recommend some good truly wide-field, affordable 5X 30mm eyepieces for an Amscope stereo microscope? (The one that gets the poor reviews calls itself "wide-field", but apparently it isn't.)

DonSchaeffer

#7 Post by DonSchaeffer » Thu May 20, 2021 6:33 pm

Sorry, I only bought 15x eyepieces to get to 45x. Where can you get eyepieces for 80x?

Scarodactyl

#8 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri May 21, 2021 11:34 pm

The objectives probably don't produce that big of an image, so wouldn't really be possible to have a good 5x. Probably better to wait until a higher end stereo with a wider zoom range shows up used than spend money chasing a workable 5x eyepiece.

Greg Howald

#9 Post by Greg Howald » Sat May 22, 2021 4:30 am

No 5x really wide field Eyepieces have been found by me after a rather diligent search. I tried 5x Eyepieces once using 5x, 23 mm Eyepieces with 30mm adaptors. No good there. Couldn't get the Eyepieces close enough together to achieve a good view. Then I gave up and got happy with the scope I have.
I have achieved dark field, oblique, polarization, and Rheinburg lighting with my stereo scope. That's pretty good and I'll just be satisfied with that. No use continuing to beat my head against a stone wall.😆
Greg

DonSchaeffer

#10 Post by DonSchaeffer » Sat May 22, 2021 8:37 am

The stereo scope is a lot of fun to look through but I'm having trouble finding a real use for it. What do people use these thimgs for?

GeekyWife

#11 Post by GeekyWife » Sat May 22, 2021 1:41 pm

Stereo microscopes are useful for looking at insects, mineral or rock samples, flower and leaf structures, and dissection.

Compound microscopes can be used to examine a small part of an insect (such as a leg) at high magnification, but are not really suited to looking at the insect as a whole. Stereo scopes can also be used to watch the behavior of live insects, while compound microscopes cannot.

Stereo microscopes also work better than compound microscopes when viewing opaque specimens such as rock samples using top illumination.

Our local nature center offers a class in collecting and identifying macroinvertebrates, mainly the larvae of insects found in local ponds. The class uses stereo microscopes.

GeekyWife

#12 Post by GeekyWife » Sat May 22, 2021 1:43 pm

Greg Howald wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 4:30 am
I have achieved dark field, oblique, polarization, and Rheinberg lighting with my stereo scope.
Greg
I'm impressed! I haven't even tried illumination tricks with the stereo scope. Could you post more information on how you achieved this in a stereo scope, which lacks a condenser?

GeekyWife

#13 Post by GeekyWife » Sat May 22, 2021 1:45 pm

I've decided that 10x wide fields will be easier to achieve with a hand lens.

Sometimes we overthink these things and miss the simple solutions.

Greg Howald

#14 Post by Greg Howald » Sat May 22, 2021 2:39 pm

It is true that I haven't done much with photos on the forum, but I'll try to put something together for you. It was trial and error to begin with, but when I got it right it just took off.
Greg

dtsh

#15 Post by dtsh » Sat May 22, 2021 2:41 pm

DonSchaeffer wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 8:37 am
The stereo scope is a lot of fun to look through but I'm having trouble finding a real use for it. What do people use these thimgs for?
I use mine for insects mostly and any examination or manipulation of small items I have trouble seeing clearly. I keep it on the desk so whenever I need a magnified view it's close at hand. I use 7x (my lowest mag) most often and suspect I would use lower if it were available

Greg Howald

#16 Post by Greg Howald » Sat May 22, 2021 4:36 pm

Peaople get into microscopy for lots of different reasons. For me it has always bern about lighting techniques. I dont have a lot of money. I can't afford DIC so I have to come up with my own creations. in showing what I did for the stereo scope there are lots of photos. I may have to use more than one post to include them all.

I started by making a holder for the filters. It is four inches in diameter with a clear plastic 3 inch petri dish and cover on center. it holds the filters and stops while the cover provides a level surface for the specimen to rest upon. Stops are one and one quarter inch in diameter.

The scope has a four inch LED base lamp with three intensity settings. it is level and flat and my filter holder sits on it. The lighting is intense enough for great imaging. I made the lamp from a desk lamp I bought at walmart for $15.00.

I bought an iris diaphragm and filter adaptor ring from Amazon so I can use it in several ways. If i put an anylizer on it and screw it in place I can adjust the degree of polarization simply by turning the diaphragm unti the desired setting is reached. Of course it can improve contrast.

Sometimes I place a mirror under the specimen when using epi lighting to enhance the specimen. And the black and white disc does the same thing.

I made an entire set of full sized filters, stops and rings so that I can get full use of the equipment. It all woirks well for me. Using some of these techniques you can figure out what works for you.

The most important thing is having fun.

Greg
Attachments
THE SET.jpg
THE SET.jpg (35.07 KiB) Viewed 6405 times
MIRROR.jpg
MIRROR.jpg (27.89 KiB) Viewed 6405 times
IRIS.jpg
IRIS.jpg (28.31 KiB) Viewed 6405 times
THE SCOPE.jpg
THE SCOPE.jpg (44.4 KiB) Viewed 6405 times
HOME MADE.jpg
HOME MADE.jpg (23.97 KiB) Viewed 6405 times

KenK

#17 Post by KenK » Sat May 22, 2021 11:56 pm

Don said: The stereo scope is a lot of fun to look through but I'm having trouble finding a real use for it. What do people use these thimgs for?

I use mine constantly. One of my main uses is to locate interesting things in a water sample. I then move the subject to my compound microscope for a closer look.

I also like looking at live marine specimens. Often the subject critter is attached to kelp or the shell of a mollusk. I can't get it onto the compound microscope without destroying it. On really small critters I use the 2X barlow. That needs tons of light. I use a bottom light, a dual head top light and an assortment of LED spotlamps and flashlights.

Here are some examples:
A tiny sea anemone. 1.0mm
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/66681912

Peritrichida (a brown algae) <1mm The second image is a GIF of it emerging.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/78583036

Feather duster worms. 2mm.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/78464993

A juvenile nudibranch 1.5mm
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/58387744

Bryozoans <1mm The GIF shows them feeding
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/78588297

DonSchaeffer

#18 Post by DonSchaeffer » Sun May 23, 2021 8:07 am

GeekyWife wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 1:43 pm
Greg Howald wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 4:30 am
I have achieved dark field, oblique, polarization, and Rheinberg lighting with my stereo scope.
Greg
I'm impressed! I haven't even tried illumination tricks with the stereo scope. Could you post more information on how you achieved this in a stereo scope, which lacks a condenser?
You can imitate dark field. Use the dark background and light the subject from the side using a flashlight or lamp.

Scarodactyl

#19 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun May 23, 2021 5:40 pm

Stereo microscopes are the ultimate tool for visual inspection. Anything you need a closer look at in the macro range and any task you need to perform under magnification is best under a stereo microscope. In my line of work that includes looking at the inclusion scene in gems to determine treatment status, but everyone needs one for splinter removal.

DonSchaeffer

#20 Post by DonSchaeffer » Sun May 23, 2021 6:39 pm

I have been using it to dissect and prepare plant specimens for observation with the compound scope. I cut and scrape off cell layers to make samples closer to transparency.