Help with model of Southern Precision Instrument Microscope

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Konstantinos

Help with model of Southern Precision Instrument Microscope

#1 Post by Konstantinos » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:09 pm

Hello. I recently picked this Southern Precision Instrument microscope up at an estate auction along with some other vintage items. I am new to the forum and need help identifying the model number of the microscope, does anything appear to be missing from the microscope and whether there is a user manual available? I had another bidder approach me to buy the microscope separately, but was hoping it may be somewhat collectible and good to keep if I can learn how to operate it.
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (91.74 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
IMG_9164 2.jpeg
IMG_9164 2.jpeg (77.56 KiB) Viewed 1580 times

Scarodactyl

Re: Help with model of Southern Precision Instrument Microscope

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:10 pm

SPI is (was?) a whitebox importer, no collectible value. It looks to be missing one eyepiece and some camera hardware (which is fine because you'd need to replace it anyway). It is probably a solid starter scope if it powers on and thr insides aren't moldy or hazy.
edit: wow I didn't even notice the massive issue with the head in that photo, 2022 me is disappointed.
Last edited by Scarodactyl on Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

lorez2

Re: Help with model of Southern Precision Instrument Microscope

#3 Post by lorez2 » Sun May 09, 2021 9:59 pm

If you could unload that microscope you would be the winner. I have a few of those standing around and if you are in the continental USA I can offer some assistance. I would not spend a great deal on this scope, but apply your funds to a good used Olympus CH or CH2.

lorez
Nikon 80i