Feeling a bit lost (buying advice / Belgium)

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Firebirdie

Feeling a bit lost (buying advice / Belgium)

#1 Post by Firebirdie » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:06 pm

Hi all,

I'm 36, located in Belgium and on the fence regarding a dive into microscopy as a new hobby, not linked to work (IT) or other hobbies. I want to heed the advice regarding a first microscope, which is to not spend too much right away. A lot of recommendations seem to be US-based but I prefer not to import from there due to fees and access to support. The second hand market appears to be nearly non-existent here and I only find a few brands that are easily available and affordable.

Some points I'm considering:
- I'd like a compound microscope
- I read that binocular is more comfortable, though it costs more, contradicting the low budget advice. Is it strongly recommended?
- I would prefer to be able to take pictures. Having said that, microscope cameras seem to be hideously expensive. Bresser has a camera priced at around €60 but I don't know what to expect from that. A smartphone holder could be an alternative although it seems to be quite a hassle to find a working setup for it. Maybe I'm overestimating the difficulty as a few adapters are linked in the shop?
- Based on recommendations I encountered, I think I prefer to either stick to 4x / 10x / 40x objectives or to have an additional 60x objective rather than an additional (oil) 100x one.

My search so far: I've looked at the Euromex MB.1653 but at a price of nearly €400 (cheapest I found was UK import) I think I may be aiming too high to merely get started, although it is trinocular and has a 60x objective. Comparing this to the Bresser Erudit Basic Mono (€170) or Bino (€205) it seems like the Bresser offers more value for its price but I'm not sure regarding any important downsides. I read mixed reviews for both brands and Bresser in particular, the latter regarding build quality. I'm still not sure about the difference between Bresser Erudit Basic and Erudit DLX. Motic has so many models I don't really know where to start. Swift doesn't seem to be available and there seem to be few affordable ones from Amscope for sale here, let alone compatible with 220V.

In short, I would be thankful for any advice you might have :)

farnsy

Re: Feeling a bit lost (buying advice / Belgium)

#2 Post by farnsy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:51 am

I don't really know what you have available for you where you shop but I can make a few comments. The first is that at this level, brand isn't very significant in most cases. They all import from the same few Chinese factories. EuroMex is the European division of AmScope and they carry the same type of stuff. I'm less familiar with Bresser, but that microscope looks like it could be pulled right out of an AmScope catalog. I'm sure they use the same optics. The EuroMex you reference has (1) a trinocular head (2) four objectives, rather than three. That's why it costs more. Otherwise the two scopes will be of the same quality. Trinocular heads are convenient if you mount a camera, but if you are using a cell adapter, perhaps you don't need one. It's always nice to have a fourth objective, whether it be a 100X oil or a 60X dry. These 160mm objectives you find in these types of scopes seem to be pretty much all the same quality--I suspect there is a single manufacturer making all of them. They can be had even cheaper from china or on ebay (at least, in the US).

It's common for people to prefer avoiding the hassle of using oil for their 100X, so many people do like 60X, but you don't have to restrict your search to only microscopes that come in that configuration--most don't. You can pick up a 160mm 60X objective from wherever and trade it out whenever you want. Then if you want to go back to use 100X, you can always do so.

Motic is an actual manufacturer that makes and sells much of their own stuff, though I wouldn't be surprised if they were also using the same 160mm objectives as everyone else on their budget scopes.

To me, 400 euros seems a little steep for a microscope at that level, but prices do differ in different parts of the world.

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:40 am

Hi, welcome to the forum!
An alternative solution could be buying used from a reputable dealer like Immel Optik in Germany.
In the past year or so there has been a never ending stream of newcomers looking for microscopy buying advice. So the more experienced microscopists are a bit worn out and don't react with the necessary enthusiasm to your post. :D When you look through past posts from a year or so back you will find lots of valuable information.

Bob

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:00 am

If you are not sure that microscopy is for you then starting out with a small budget makes sense.

As mentioned above, microscope manufacturers (most seem to be in China) will put any name you want on a microscope if you buy enough of them.

May I suggest you have a look in a local version of ebay (most countries have one) for a used microscope from one of the resellers (Euromex, Amscope, Bresser etc)

They should be available for around 1/3 of the new price though little used, as owners move on or give up on microscopy.

If you decide to pursue microscopy it will have given you the experience you need to shop for your next microscope with some confidence.

If you decide it is not for you, then resell it at little loss.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Hobbyst46

#5 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:38 am

Have you seen Oliver Kim's videos about microscopy on the Microbe Hunter site ? they can be a great help for beginners. At least to see the features and their cost.[/quote]
https://www.microbehunter.com/what-feat ... cope-need/

Firebirdie

#6 Post by Firebirdie » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:45 am

farnsy wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:51 am
The first is that at this level, brand isn't very significant in most cases. They all import from the same few Chinese factories. EuroMex is the European division of AmScope and they carry the same type of stuff.
I did not know that about Euromex :mrgreen: it means I'm probably/definitely overthinking this.
farnsy wrote:
You can pick up a 160mm 60X objective from wherever and trade it out whenever you want. Then if you want to go back to use 100X, you can always do so.
You're right of course, I was hoping to cut the costs a bit by going for 60x right off the bat. But I see that I can find a 60x objective on ebay for a third of the usual price, so that's fine. I know it might not be parfocal but that's not something to complain about at this price point.
MicroBob wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:40 am
An alternative solution could be buying used from a reputable dealer like Immel Optik in Germany.
Thank you! I see that they offer a 2 year warranty. I'll take a thorough look at their offers.
MicroBob wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:40 am
In the past year or so there has been a never ending stream of newcomers looking for microscopy buying advice. So the more experienced microscopists are a bit worn out and don't react with the necessary enthusiasm to your post. :D When you look through past posts from a year or so back you will find lots of valuable information.
I understand! I always prefer to do research beforehand. I had trouble finding comparable scenarios as most topics dealt with Swift, Amscope, other/unknown (to me) brands or simply larger budgets. I also searched the forum for Euromex and Bresser specifically. It could be cool to have a sticky topic with some general market information for different regions (eg. Immel Optik for members near Germany), though it might be difficult to avoid favouring shops / becoming too commercially focused.
75RR wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:00 am
May I suggest you have a look in a local version of ebay (most countries have one) for a used microscope from one of the resellers (Euromex, Amscope, Bresser etc)
Thank you, I'll recheck, there is next to nothing locally but I do see some offers for mostly Amscope from other countries in the EU. I'm a bit more worried about warranty/support for these offers, though.
Hobbyst46 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:38 am
Have you seen Oliver Kim's videos about microscopy on the Microbe Hunter site ?
Thanks, I did! I got a lot of initial information from it as well as from the buying advice video. It helps me to filter through the different offerings but it's still a bit overwhelming :).

Hobbyst46

#7 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:02 am

Firebirdie wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:45 am
Thanks, I did! I got a lot of initial information from it as well as from the buying advice video. It helps me to filter through the different offerings but it's still a bit overwhelming :).
My personal preference for using and enjoying microscopy from the start - a list of must-haves:
1. Trinocular
2. 10X Wide-field eyepieces
3. A simple 5MP eyepiece camera (less than $100) and simple adapter
4. A condenser and field diaphragm that provide Kohler illumination
5. ~4X, 10X, 20X and 40X objectives
6. Optional accessories for other than brightfield illuminations - darkfield and phase contrast.
7. Mechanical stage
8. Solid structure, not featherweight

75RR

#8 Post by 75RR » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:06 am

Firebirdie wrote:

75RR wrote:
Thank you, I'll recheck, there is next to nothing locally but I do see some offers for mostly Amscope from other countries in the EU. I'm a bit more worried about warranty/support for these offers, though.
Had a quick look, came up with these. Some interesting deals if you had a little more experience.

If you do decide to follow up you may be able to test run some of them with help from the owner. That is definitely worthwhile.

https://www.2ememain.be/a/divers/divers ... ousPage=lr

https://www.2ememain.be/a/hobby-loisirs ... ousPage=lr

https://www.2ememain.be/a/tv-hi-fi-vide ... ousPage=lr

Hobbyst46

#9 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:41 am

75RR wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:06 am
Firebirdie wrote:

75RR wrote:
Had a quick look, came up with these. Some interesting deals if you had a little more experience.

If you do decide to follow up you may be able to test run some of them with help from the owner. That is definitely worthwhile.

https://www.2ememain.be/a/divers/divers ... ousPage=lr

https://www.2ememain.be/a/tv-hi-fi-vide ... ousPage=lr

The fourth-link microscope has a phase contrast condenser.

Stomias

#10 Post by Stomias » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:51 am

I've told this story brfore here. Got in to microscopy about 4-5 months ago from astronomy. Didn't do a bunch of research but found a stereo compound Reichert Microstar IV with 2.5, 4, 10, 40 and 100X (oil immersion) objectives for US $150. Another $150 or so in accesories (slides, coverslips, slide box 15X and 20X eyepieces, microtome, pipettes and a few other things). Most everything on EBay. I have too noticed a marked uptick in interest in microscopy here. Then bought a stereo microscope. I have gathered some other useful tools from past astronomy, chemistry, photographyand entomological forays. Enjoying it immensly.....

apochronaut

#11 Post by apochronaut » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:46 am

farnsy wrote:

To me, 400 euros seems a little steep for a microscope at that level, but prices do differ in different parts of the world.
I would normally be about the last person to suggest he go for a budget Chinese microscope but in his case a small glitch with a used one might be a deal breaker and there seem to be not that many used options in northwest Europe. In North America the options are much different. He referenced the word support and whether there is any when buying used is hit and miss. There will be at least some with Euromex.
That price he mentioned ( 400€) is high because I found one in England that is about 320€, so for that price a trinocular microscope like the one he is looking at is probably not too bad. If photography becomes an interesting aspect of microscopy for him, a modest set of plan objectives will not cost that much to improve imaging. I agree that he might luck out and get a solid used scope for less but it also could have a few small problems, which I am not sure he is ready to tackle. The poster serms an awfully newbie, newbie.

Firebirdie

#12 Post by Firebirdie » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:28 pm

Hi apochronaut,

Yes, I'm totally new to this, you voiced my concerns quite well. If we're talking about the same MB.1653 offer there are some additional costs, unfortunately:
  • £25: shipping
  • ~€15: exchange rate fees
  • €14.5: courier fees to handle customs (2% of the amount with a minimum of €14.5)
  • local VAT (21%)
which would be a total of around €385.

If there are no obvious pitfalls in choosing anything between, say, this one and the aforementioned Bresser at half the price, I guess it just boils down to how much I'm willing to risk :mrgreen:. I don't think I have to count on much of a resell value.
Hobbyst46 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:02 am
Do you mean a generic eyepiece camera rather than one offered by the manufacturer? What type of adapter are you referring to, please?

Hobbyst46

#13 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:34 am

Firebirdie wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:28 pm
Hobbyst46 wrote:
Do you mean a generic eyepiece camera rather than one offered by the manufacturer? What type of adapter are you referring to, please?
Yes, even an unbranded generic 5MP can do a decent job. At least for documentation.
They go into the phototube without an eyepiece; so if the image produced by the objective does not significantly depend on a specific correcting eyepiece (correcting spatial and color aberrations), the camera can serve well.
These cameras come with a reducing 0.5x lens; with this lens, they focus and record the center part of the field of view.
Whether an adapter is required or not depends on the mechanics of the phototube, but regardless of that, the adapter is just a mechanical tube itself, without additional optics.

apochronaut

#14 Post by apochronaut » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:33 pm

Firebirdie wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:28 pm
Hi apochronaut,

Yes, I'm totally new to this, you voiced my concerns quite well. If we're talking about the same MB.1653 offer there are some additional costs, unfortunately:
  • £25: shipping
  • ~€15: exchange rate fees
  • €14.5: courier fees to handle customs (2% of the amount with a minimum of €14.5)
  • local VAT (21%)
which would be a total of around €385.

If there are no obvious pitfalls in choosing anything between, say, this one and the aforementioned Bresser at half the price, I guess it just boils down to how much I'm willing to risk :mrgreen:. I don't think I have to count on much of a resell value.
Hobbyst46 wrote:
I'm not 100% sure about the U.K. but would the V.A.T. still hold for someone buying from outside the U.K.? The exchange rate fees can usually be gotten around can they not?

Firebirdie

#15 Post by Firebirdie » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:09 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:33 pm
I'm not 100% sure about the U.K. but would the V.A.T. still hold for someone buying from outside the U.K.? The exchange rate fees can usually be gotten around can they not?
The VAT difference (21% instead of 20%) is only a fraction of the additional cost. I'm quite certain that this is how the import is handled, though: no VAT is paid to the webshop but then needs to be paid to the courier, along with other fees, before shipping can be completed. Before Brexit the shop should have calculated the needed VAT percentage for the destination country and handle this themselves. Things would have been different if the item was very cheap: less than €22, with another threshold at €150 regarding import costs, I believe. It seems the UK => BE import tariff is actually 0% for microscopes, or that would have increased the cost even more.

I have no experience in getting around exchange rate fees, the only thing I read about it is that Paypal rates are slightly higher than those charged by creditcard companies. I guess it would involve getting an account or credit card in the foreign currency and manually handling the currency exchange, though I figure that's probably too much of a hassle for a one-off purchase. Sorry if this is getting a bit off-topic :).

apochronaut

#16 Post by apochronaut » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:17 pm

The seller should eat the paypal fees. So you are talking about Belgian VAT, not U.K. VAT. In Canada. Shipped by mail ; hardly ever is there tax applied by customs. By courier, always and they fleece for import brokerage too. Not similar in Belgium? Customs too busy to look at every package on the belt?

75RR

#17 Post by 75RR » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:56 pm

Perhaps before you purchase a microscope you might want to contact some of these groups.

Koninklijk Antwerps Genootschap voor Micrografie (KAGM) is open to amateurs and hopefully not far from your location.

https://www.quekett.org/resources/links/clubs#belgium

Firebirdie

#18 Post by Firebirdie » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:32 am

apochronaut wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:17 pm
So you are talking about Belgian VAT, not U.K. VAT. In Canada. Shipped by mail ; hardly ever is there tax applied by customs. By courier, always and they fleece for import brokerage too.
Correct, I meant Belgian VAT. It's a store so I don't have any say in the matter, I'm afraid.
75RR wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:56 pm
Koninklijk Antwerps Genootschap voor Micrografie (KAGM) is open to amateurs and hopefully not far from your location.
Thank you for the link! I stumbled upon KAGM a few days ago myself - it seems they suspended all meetings as of a year ago, when the COVID lockdowns started. They're not nearby but it would have been doable to go and take a look.

I just noticed a new second hand offer which might be priced interestingly enough to take a risk, but I have no idea how to vet it. Does this Motic B series seem worthwhile, please? It looks like a B1-253ASC to me? The seller claims it's "almost new". Are there any important questions to ask? Are there any advantages/disadvantages I should know of compared to, say, the Euromex MB.1653, which explain the difference in retail price? Could I run into problems with finding accessories/upgrade possibilities due to choosing this model? Sorry for being so clueless in the matter :?.

75RR

#19 Post by 75RR » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:49 am

It does look like a B1 per the link you provided.

It appears from the specs to be a what is known as a 'student' microscope - from the brochure it would seem not to be upgradeable.

On the positive side Motic make their own microscopes and have a good reputation for quality.

It does look brand new and at that price very much a bargain.

I would say that it is an ideal starter microscope. A win win!

You can download the manual here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13747 ... eries.html

zzffnn

#20 Post by zzffnn » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:08 am

If you live close to a local university or research hospital, they may sell good used microscopes as surplus, at local auctions.

apochronaut

#21 Post by apochronaut » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:47 pm

Firebirdie wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:32 am
apochronaut wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:17 pm
So you are talking about Belgian VAT, not U.K. VAT. In Canada. Shipped by mail ; hardly ever is there tax applied by customs. By courier, always and they fleece for import brokerage too.
Correct, I meant Belgian VAT. It's a store so I don't have any say in the matter, I'm afraid.
75RR wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:56 pm
Thank you for the link! I stumbled upon KAGM a few days ago myself - it seems they suspended all meetings as of a year ago, when the COVID lockdowns started. They're not nearby but it would have been doable to go and take a look.

I just noticed a new second hand offer which might be priced interestingly enough to take a risk, but I have no idea how to vet it. Does this Motic B series seem worthwhile, please? It looks like a B1-253ASC to me? The seller claims it's "almost new". Are there any important questions to ask? Are there any advantages/disadvantages I should know of compared to, say, the Euromex MB.1653, which explain the difference in retail price? Could I run into problems with finding accessories/upgrade possibilities due to choosing this model? Sorry for being so clueless in the matter :?.
If the microscope has no faults, that is a good microscope. The platform it is on has been used for a lot of different models and is very sturdy. One incarnation of it has a 100 watt illuminator and 23mm f.o.v. on a much more expensive microscope. Motic is a factory and has established the most well known brand in China. They had the good fortune to begin in Hong Kong, when it was still independent. However, they do not mfg. everything, sharing production of components with many other factories for efficiency in a planned economy.
You will be able to move up to plan objectives when you are ready, at not much expense.

You are obviously fairly savvy about add on costs like shipping, tax etc. good luck with that.

Marc

#22 Post by Marc » Sat May 01, 2021 7:29 pm

Firebirdie wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:06 pm
Hi all,

I'm 36, located in Belgium and on the fence regarding a dive into microscopy as a new hobby, not linked to work (IT) or other hobbies. I want to heed the advice regarding a first microscope, which is to not spend too much right away. A lot of recommendations seem to be US-based but I prefer not to import from there due to fees and access to support. The second hand market appears to be nearly non-existent here and I only find a few brands that are easily available and affordable.
it was also my case. Recently I bought one microscope with a good discount from the dutch brand BMS

https://bmsmicroscopes.com/

they are importers and assemblers like many other brands. Although one friend with some knowledge told me they take some care in select quality in components. I'm happy with the microscope

However, my final choosing was quite conditioned by the price. The first recommendation I have received was to look for Motic, Optika or Euromex. It seems are more real factories with their own technical innovations and higher quality. Although they are more expensive.

I have found these brands sometimes has discounts in their websites although no luck for my needs/price. I leave here the links of these European brands in case it can be useful to yours:

https://motic.com/
https://www.optikamicroscopes.com/
https://www.euromex.com/

My search so far: I've looked at the Euromex MB.1653 but at a price of nearly €400 (cheapest I found was UK import) I think I may be aiming too high to merely get started, although it is trinocular and has a 60x objective
in my case I have renounced to trinocular to low the price. I want to use a camera and I prefer to spent the money in it.
I think if the brand is well-known with pieces to sell, I can do it in the future if I need it.

good luck!

Marc

#23 Post by Marc » Sat May 01, 2021 8:06 pm

farnsy wrote:
I don't really know what you have available for you where you shop but I can make a few comments. The first is that at this level, brand isn't very significant in most cases. They all import from the same few Chinese factories. EuroMex is the European division of AmScope and they carry the same type of stuff. I'm less familiar with Bresser, but that microscope looks like it could be pulled right out of an AmScope catalog. I'm sure they use the same optics.
many people says this, although I have spent some time searching in Baidu and the Chinese market, and I fear what happens is the Chinese factories works for everybody; for Olympus and for the small importer buying in Alibaba to sell low price models.

Chinese factories manufacture the products according quality requests from customers. Therefore one can find one objective at 60$ with the exact appearance of another one only 18$ from AliExpress.

Take an example of Chinese market:
https://www.haopianyi.com/zt/shengwuxianweijingkeyan/

here one finds Olympus, middle range, and low prices. All made in China. The prices in yuans are similar than in the West. It depends of good quality or low quality.

Problem is not the chinese origin when in China there is possibility to manufacture top quality or the worse thing.
I suspect the true problem appears when a western brand import and assembly cheap optics and later sell this like if it was a good quality device to get more benefit.

It would be interesting seeing a video about how optics are made and where are the differences of quality, although I don't know of some.

Firebirdie

#24 Post by Firebirdie » Sat May 01, 2021 9:06 pm

I went to pick up the advertised microscope (Motic B1 series) this afternoon. The 4x and 10x objective appear fine but the 40x objective seems to be dirty. Some supplies will arrive on Monday, including lens cleaner cloth, with which I hope to resolve that issue. Superficially, everything else appears to be in order. I don't even have any slides yet so I have to play the waiting game... thank you all for the help, in any case!
Marc wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:29 pm
Recently I bought one microscope with a good discount from the dutch brand BMS

I had not yet encountered that brand, I'll keep it in mind for future reference.

farnsy

#25 Post by farnsy » Sat May 01, 2021 9:18 pm

I'd be interested in your review of this microscope when you have had some time to play with it.

Does it look dirtier externally or are there artifacts when you look through it? There's a good chance the 40X objective itself isn't any dirtier...it may just reveal imperfections (dust or scratches) in the system that you don't see at other magnifications. I'm not an expert at finding the sources of dirt in a microscope but you might start by twisting the eyepieces to see if the dirt or scratches move around in a circle and are part of the eyepieces...that's pretty common and relatively easily fixed--you may even want to buy brand new eyepieces. Move the slide around to make sure the dirt is not on the slide. Slightly move the nosepiece so the objective moves to the side and see if the spots or whatever go with it.

If the view just shows a lack of contrast, then there are a number of things it might be.

75RR

#26 Post by 75RR » Sun May 02, 2021 5:16 am

Firebirdie wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:06 pm
I went to pick up the advertised microscope (Motic B1 series) this afternoon. The 4x and 10x objective appear fine but the 40x objective seems to be dirty. Some supplies will arrive on Monday, including lens cleaner cloth, with which I hope to resolve that issue. Superficially, everything else appears to be in order. I don't even have any slides yet so I have to play the waiting game... thank you all for the help, in any case!
Congratulations!

https://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Micro ... -zeiss.pdf