Objective Re-adjustment

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
DonSchaeffer

Objective Re-adjustment

#1 Post by DonSchaeffer » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:50 pm

I decided to the following:
--Replace the 10x objective with the 5x objective that came with the microscope.
--Replace the 20x objective with the 10X objective.
So I now have two low power objectives (5x and 10X) and two high power objectives (40x and 60X).
Since I received my stereo microscope (now at 30x--but soon up to 45x) I felt the need for a bridge between the stereo microscope and the compound microscope. I also wanted to take pictures from the perspective of the stereo microscope using similar magnification.

charlie g

Re: Objective Re-adjustment

#2 Post by charlie g » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:30 pm

Different horses for different courses...for a large variety of pond water microscopy...I find a Plan 2X objective very useful for the nearly 'macroscopic range' of overall plant morphology displayed by stream algae attached by an anchor system to substrate rocks. Often even a 4X or 5X objective 'drops in too deep to see the forest due it's trees'.

Collaborations of diatom species, aquatic insects and water mites share interesting patterns on large attached stream algae in flowing waters. Duckweeds and attached hydras and attached diatoms and protozoans also offer good observing with my Plan 2X objective...like a smoke-jumper above a canopy you may then drop into the structures with your 10X objective.

I keep the clean plastic capped vials a range of objectives are stored in at my bench..I swap out that Plan 2X gem for another gem ( higher mag/higher NA objective...phase contrast objective, etc. gem).

I purchased a Nikon Plan 1X, 0.03, 160/ 0 objective just to have for my workhorse stands stable. I know it has great performance for particular uses ( enjoying prepared slides, enjoying fungi and bryophytes and mites)...but I have not needed to use it often ( lately I have had little bench time anyway...sigh). Thanks for your selection of objectives on your turrent..please swap out this series often..just keep things clean! charlie g

DonSchaeffer

Re: Objective Re-adjustment

#3 Post by DonSchaeffer » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:11 pm

Thanks Charlie. I do the same.