Replacing LED bulb in T490B-LED

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
dgibsman

Replacing LED bulb in T490B-LED

#1 Post by dgibsman » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:10 am

I was all set to purchase the T490B-LED until I read some Forum posts that described replacing the LED bulb.
The instructions were terrifying. I saw pictures of multiple bulbs behind the door on the bottom of the microscope. I was expecting to see one 3 watt LED bulb. I think the picture showed a configuration of 7 bulbs.
Which bulb do I change? What kind of bulb should I buy? How do I change the bulb? I was so taken aback by my confrontation with the bulb set up, I started thinking that maybe microscopy is too complicated for me to pursue.

Does anyone know of a less complicated method for replacing an LED bulb? If so, please explain the method in nontechnical terms because I didn’t know what many of the terms used in the explanations even meant.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

D. Gibsman

dtsh

Re: Replacing LED bulb in T490B-LED

#2 Post by dtsh » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:31 am

Typically an LED should last many, many years; having rated lifetimes of 50,000 hours or so.

Do you have one with a failed illuminator or are you just thinking about a possible future repair that might be needed?

I suspect the design is that the microscope would just be replaced when that lifetime is exceeded, but there's nothing to keep a resourceful person from repairing or replacing the illuminator.

Agostino

Re: Replacing LED bulb in T490B-LED

#3 Post by Agostino » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:42 pm

Hi, I'm also looking for microscopes with a powerful and replaceable LED.
In that price range, the only one I found with a powerful (3w) LED that is specifically advertised as "replaceable" is the OMAX M837ZL, manufacturer page.