Photomicroscope III

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
apochromat

Photomicroscope III

#1 Post by apochromat » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:22 pm

This is the microscope I use daily since 1993. I bought one of the last made instruments. The production was discontinued in 1986. This version of the PHOMI III has a much better coating technology with almost no false light in the tube head. As I keep all my optics in empty cooling boxes wrapped in blankets I have no delamination issues. I may also own some accessories that have been made for the PHOMI ;)
I use mine with a PANASONIC GX-9 and a ZEISS micro flash system. I mainly work with phase contrast (Planapo 25x, Apo 40x, Plan-NEOFLUAR 63x Oil, Planapo 63x Oil and Apo 100x). But as always this is a matter of taste. The camera is adapted with the "Grundkörper III" with f= 63 mm and a S- Kpl 10x eyepiece that - by moving this eyepiece up by 5 - 7 mm- will become a perfect projective 3.2x.

PHOMI III.jpg
PHOMI III.jpg (140.01 KiB) Viewed 3338 times

Thanks Michael
Last edited by apochromat on Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wes

Re: Photomicroscope III

#2 Post by Wes » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:55 pm

Hello Michael,

Thank you for showing us your microscope. Did you buy it new directly from Zeiss? Also is this a gliding specimen stage?

Regards,
Wes
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

apochromat

#3 Post by apochromat » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:16 pm

Hello Wes,

I bought the "naked stand" without optics from a customer of us knowing its history well (original purchase date, serial number, production run etc.). The electronic box was broken and that did send a shock wave through my wallet as it set me back by 2500 DM for the original spare part and the actual repair costs. The microscope was not used at all, as the lab already had the new Axio- series at that time. Before that, I worked with my PHOMI I which I still have and a black STANDARD WL. At that time I was also a big customer of KODAKCHROME 64 and FUJI Velvia 50 :D

The last price of a PHOTOMICROSCOPE III in a decent outfit ranged from 30.000 up to 80.000 DM in the early 1990ies. A Planapo 63x/1,4 Oil Ph 3 was 5500 DM and had a waiting list ...

Yes, this is a gliding stage. I cannot understand why this stage is not so popular. It is easy to operate when it is re- lubricated every 12 months and I find its movement unsurpassed. We still make one for the large inverted microscopes. The current model also fits to an IM 35 ;) . Here in Germany the gliding stages are now getting scarce.

Thanks
Michael
Last edited by apochromat on Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImperatorRex

#4 Post by ImperatorRex » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:58 pm

Hello Michael,
nice scope.
The camera is adapted with the "Grundkörper III" with f= 63 mm and a S- Kpl 10x eyepiece that - by moving this eyepiece up by 5 - 7 mm- will become a perfect projective 3.2x.
This is quite a useful info and hint! Some years back I was also using the "Grundkörper" with a Zeiss Jena Projective 3.2x. It works actually not too bad, but we know it is not the optimal setup.
So I sold the adaption since I thougth I would never getting the rare and costly Zeiss West KPL 6,3x Objective. The (S-) Kpl 10x eyepieces are certainly much more avaialbe :-)

I also use and like the gliding stage! Love to touch and move the stage.
Seems you have a kind of extension device at the coarse knob? What is it used for?

Nice equipment is also the wide field revolver with the factor 0,63x....if you appreciate large field of view.

apochromat

#5 Post by apochromat » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:54 pm

Hello Jochen,

another VERY GOOD option is to use the Grundkörper III with the projective K with f= 63mm. I may have some of these still ... That adaptation was described at some time by an American microscopist called Dale Quakenbush in a MIKROKOSMOS issue.

The lever on the focus was the "Schnellfokussierhebel" to find the focus position again, after having lowered the stage.

Regarding the nosepiece 0.63x (für Großfeld) I find the image not too impressive escpecially at the edges. Maybe its just my individuum that is like this. At least it is still not delaminated :D

Thanks
Michael
Last edited by apochromat on Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImperatorRex

#6 Post by ImperatorRex » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:18 pm

Thanks a lot for all the valuable information Michael.

imkap

#7 Post by imkap » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:58 pm

Your system looks so great...

I'm wondering what illumination effect do you get with this kind of attachment (I think this is Grundkörper III you mention) you use? How do you call that type of illumination? I tried to search but can't find

Thanks

garyjm

#8 Post by garyjm » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:59 pm

I picked up a PM III on Ebay back in 2017. A photo is included here. I haven't had the time to use it yet (too many microscopes!). How do I tell if mine has the much better coating technology?

Thanks,
Gary
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (80.62 KiB) Viewed 2889 times