My newly refurbished gemscope

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Scarodactyl

My newly refurbished gemscope

#1 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:55 pm

Hi everyone! I'm a jeweler and gem dealer in my day job, and I recently got a big pile of 'pop-out' stones from a former cash-4-gold seller (mixed, unsorted stones removed from gold jewelry before they send the metal off for refining). I haven't had a personal gemscope in a while, since for occasional usage I can use my M400. But when sorting through a big pile of stones the tilting base and 3d view of a gemological microscope are nonnegotiable for ergonomics.
Anyway, that was part of it. The other part was that I spotted a Wild M10 body on eBay--no focus mount, but a standard planapo 1x objective, plus a third party mechanism for centering the objective over either light path for better photos.
Not too long ago I said I was done with high end stereos, but it turns out
Not only does it have a centering mechanism, but there's actually a whole fiber optic coaxial illuminator mechanism fit into that space which I have yet to try. The scope needed a focus mount and a head. I luckily had an extra M450 coarse/fine focus mount and was able to adapt that on with an intermediate plate drilled from aluminum, which was fairly easy to make with a few measurements and a 3d-printed drill template.
The head was easier--any Wild or Leica m series head will work (aside from M5 heads). Still, I wanted a trinocular head and decided to pick up the phototube from one of these odd Leica MZ8 clones still made in China. I ordered it directly from Ningbo Microscopes.
It fits on perfectly and is much cheaper than a used trinocular Wild and Leica head, but the one I got is a little misaligned which is a bummer. I'll have to see if I can fix it.
Now for the base. A while back I got a few GIA gemolite VII microscopes with bad electronics and focus mounts, but great mechanical build quality. I took out the bad electronics (minus the transformer which provides important weight) and fitted in a Cree XL-M2 LED with a constant current driver and dimmer. It works great, with a pleasing color temperature and greater brightness than the original 25w halogen. I also used an aluminum plate adapter and a flanged sheave to put a vertical 25mm post where the old Bausch and Lomb focus arm had been. The final result:
I have to say I'm very pleased with it. The LED lighting is nice, and one thing I really love about the M10 is that even with the Wild 20x eyepieces I had on hand it gives a clear and sufficiently bright view (though of course the apparent 26mm FN with 20x/13 eyepieces helps too). I still need to set up the photo port which will be its own small project.

PeteM

Re: My newly refurbished gemscope

#2 Post by PeteM » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:37 am

PlanApo, 10x zoom range, Wild build quality -- looks like an amazing scope, Stephen. The centering mechanism is a nice touch. Even your new E800 DIC scope might be feeling a bit jealous?

KurtM

#3 Post by KurtM » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:08 am

Yeah, what Pete said. That's a magnificent looking beast of a stereo scope...

PS: I have a Wild M8 that's complete except for its 1x plan lens, and I have failed to to find one. With the resourcefulness you two regularly exhibit, I cast it out there...
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:20 am

It just so happens I got a Wild M8 with a good objective but a misaligned body a while back which I need to clear out...

Hobbyst46

#5 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:17 pm

Amazing project !
Scarodactyl wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:55 pm
...But when sorting through a big pile of stones the tilting base and 3d view of a gemological microscope are nonnegotiable for ergonomics.
Knowing nothing about gemology, may I ask : aside from a tilting stage, does 3d view of a gemological microscope differ from the 3d view of any common stereo microscope ?
...and one thing I really love about the M10 is that even with the Wild 20x eyepieces I had on hand it gives a clear and sufficiently bright view.. .
Is it so owing to the initially high f.n. of the M10 objective and other optical parts ? I am asking since on my ancient Olympus VMZ stereo, the WF 20X/12 Chinese eyepieces only cause headaches, due to out non-uniform focus and apparent distortions. I consider buying WF15X eyepieces instead.

Scarodactyl

#6 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:23 pm

It's the same 3d as any stereo--I mention it since the other scope I'd use for this would be my M400 macroscope which is great but only hints at 3D to the eye.

I think it holds up to the 20x eyepieces because of its (for a stereo) high resolution and generally good control of aberrations. The quality of the Wild 20x eyepieces probably helps some too.

KurtM

#7 Post by KurtM » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:42 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:20 am
It just so happens I got a Wild M8 with a good objective but a misaligned body a while back which I need to clear out...
Drop me an email, let's talk about getting that old hunk of #%@* outta there: ngc704 at aol.com or gmail.com, either works.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

Scarodactyl

#8 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:14 am

Update! Or Coda! Whatever you want to call it!

I finally decided to open up the head I got from Ninbgo to see if I could align it. This is rarely an easy process with stereos so I had little hope but what the heck.

The screws are all easy to remove, not loose but not very tight.
And...what's this? Are these....alignment bolts?
I held it over the scope so I could see, put a screwdriver on one and hoped for the best. Two turns and the image came into perfect alignment as far as I can tell.
So, woo! A Wild/Leica standin trinocular head for a very affordable price! The eyepieces that came with it aren't great but I just got a pair of Wild 15x/17s which are very nice and perfect for my needs currently. I'll probably go to 10xes if I pick up a 1.6x objective for the system.

MichaelG.

#9 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:45 am

Great result !!

Fixed with a simple tweak of an adjustment

and you deserve that .. for all the good work put into the project.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

imkap

#10 Post by imkap » Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:36 am

Nice :D

jfiresto

#11 Post by jfiresto » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:35 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:14 am
So, woo! A Wild/Leica standin trinocular head for a very affordable price! The eyepieces that came with it aren't great but I just got a pair of Wild 15x/17s which are very nice and perfect for my needs currently. I'll probably go to 10xes if I pick up a 1.6x objective for the system.
Do you have a part number for that trinocular head? I would like to plop one on an (original) M3 lower unit and give the microscope to a friend.
-John

Scarodactyl

#12 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:50 pm

jfiresto wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:35 pm
Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:14 am
Do you have a part number for that trinocular head? I would like to plop one on an (original) M3 lower unit and give the microscope to a friend.
The entire trinocular setup with zoom body is hed.45.m30, you'll have to specify you only want the trinocular tube part. That said no guarantees alignment will be that easy. I'll need to use it for a while to be sure mine is in shape. If I did it again I'd get a quote on the full setup since it's more likely to be tested.

jfiresto

#13 Post by jfiresto » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:47 am

Thank you. I am curious how it will compare to a standard Wild head and a Wild or old Motic photo tube.
-John

Scarodactyl

#14 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:20 pm

The upside to this configuration is that you can supply your own tube lens for the photo port and the image plane is easy to access.

Rorschach

#15 Post by Rorschach » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:37 am

Somehow I have missed this thread :? Anyways, congrats on the Wild M10 body! May I ask how much it cost you? I am finally closing a deal on a M10 myself. It comes with the 1x PlanApo objective, ergo head, 10x Leica eyepieces and a simple Wild/Leica stand.

I am particularly interested in that objective alignment apparatus, which effectively is identical in function to the S type carrier that Wild had for the M3 series of stereos. I am wondering whether it would be possible to manufacture the apparatus at a metal workshop if enough measurements and photos were available?

Scarodactyl

#16 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:16 am

I don't want to day because it was pretty cheap.
The apparatus is neat but I ended up taking it off in the end since it doesn't play well with tilting the head back and forth. So if you're interested I could sell it. The M10 is absolutely spectacular, night and day vs the very competent Chinese greenough stereo I have next to it. And congrats on the ergo head, those babies aren't easy to get!

jfiresto

#17 Post by jfiresto » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:10 am

Rorschach wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:37 am
Somehow I have missed this thread :? Anyways, congrats on the Wild M10 body! May I ask how much it cost you? I am finally closing a deal on a M10 myself. It comes with the 1x PlanApo objective, ergo head, 10x Leica eyepieces and a simple Wild/Leica stand....
I will keep my fingers crossed that you have finally found your M10. I snarfed a camera off ebay the other day that should test just how many megapixels an M7A/M7S might need. I trust fewer than for an M10.
-John

Rorschach

#18 Post by Rorschach » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:39 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:16 am
I don't want to day because it was pretty cheap.
The apparatus is neat but I ended up taking it off in the end since it doesn't play well with tilting the head back and forth. So if you're interested I could sell it. The M10 is absolutely spectacular, night and day vs the very competent Chinese greenough stereo I have next to it. And congrats on the ergo head, those babies aren't easy to get!
I am most interested in buying the apparatus! Is there something you are currently looking for or might be interested in terms of parts? I have a lot of stuff for Wild/Leica stereos, Wild M20 compound (including phase and Fluotar objectives and some special equipment too), Leitz Orthoplan parts and even some Reichert Polyvar things that I have as duplicates.

I am happy, though not surprised, to hear that the M10 is night and day compared to a Chinese greenough scope :D

Rorschach

#19 Post by Rorschach » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:43 am

jfiresto wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:10 am
Rorschach wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:37 am
Somehow I have missed this thread :? Anyways, congrats on the Wild M10 body! May I ask how much it cost you? I am finally closing a deal on a M10 myself. It comes with the 1x PlanApo objective, ergo head, 10x Leica eyepieces and a simple Wild/Leica stand....
I will keep my fingers crossed that you have finally found your M10. I snarfed a camera off ebay the other day that should test just how many megapixels an M7A/M7S might need. I trust fewer than for an M10.
Thanks John! :) I have missed several opportunities during the last few years, mostly due to being (overly?) cautious. But it looks promising this time as the seller is a well known microscope outfitter/repair business in Germany.

Your results regarding camera megapixels and the M7S will be very interesting indeed! I am planning to get a Sony A7S II for my microscopy uses but now, thanks to the M10 purchase, I won't have the money for the camera for a while :D