LOMO MƂP-1

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Amoeba

LOMO MƂP-1

#1 Post by Amoeba » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:48 pm

I purchased this MƂP-1 maybe a couple or more years ago now. It came in a neat wooden case with a number of objectives for just £30, although I had drive a little way to collect it. I have enjoyed using it to explore soil samples and other items but one of the things that I found awkward was getting adequate light via the mirror. I simply used a torch shone at the mirror, which was angled suitably to reflect the light up to the stage.

I recently came across a vintage OI-19 lamp which I am waiting for to arrive, however this still relies on reflected light. I was wondering whether it is worthwhile fitting it with LED lights, such as, for example this with which one can also control the colour:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122892304319

The idea is to control with with an Ardsuino or some other MCU board. Alternatively, can one buy a battery or mains operated illuminator and use it in place of the mirror?

I was also considering the possibility of upgrading to an SM Lux, preferrably with twin eyepieces for ease of viewing as these have a built in illuminator. I am kicking myself for not having taken up an offer of one some considerable time ago now. Hoqever, before I go spending significant sums of money, I just wondered whether there are other options?
Attachments
Lomo1.jpg
Lomo1.jpg (136.97 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
Last edited by Amoeba on Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scarodactyl

Re: LOMO Mbp-1

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:51 am

I wouldn't apend too much soupin up a scope like this when you could get something higher tier for not too much money that would be more powerful and more expandible. That dependa to some extent on your location and what the used market is like though.

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:21 am

On the other hand, it does have a couple of desirable features that don't usually come on basic scopes. Worth building on. Not too many of it's ilk have a dovetailed nosepiece or rotating stage. Lomo objectives are easy to find cheaply and sets could be assembled in several nosepieces for very low cost. Water immersion, apochromat, pol. With a binocular head and 18mm eyepieces it could be a quality versatile scope with an understage led added.
Having the dovetailed slide nosepiece is a bit of a gamechanger ; 3 scopes in one, so to speak and sturdy. The only drawback is that it isn't going to be plan.

Amoeba

#4 Post by Amoeba » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:49 am

apochronaut wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:21 am
Not too many of it's ilk have a dovetailed nosepiece or rotating stage. Lomo objectives are easy to find cheaply and sets could be assembled in several nosepieces for very low cost. Water immersion, apochromat, pol. With a binocular head and 18mm eyepieces it could be a quality versatile scope with an understage led added.
Having the dovetailed slide nosepiece is a bit of a gamechanger ; 3 scopes in one, so to speak and sturdy. The only drawback is that it isn't going to be plan.
Yes, I found the rotating stage quite useful. It does make it easier to view slides sometimes. As you point out, eyepieces do tend to be cheaper than their Leitz or Zeiss counter parts. I am curious about your comment on the dovetailed nosepiece being a game changer? It does indeed look like the nosepiece can easily be removed and replaced with another by slackening off a couple inside the head once the eyepiece barrel is removed. I had not even noticed that this was possible. One could build up a set of eyepieces ready to go on alternative nosepieces as you suggest.

I have seen the occasional binocular head for sale, but the cost of these has tended to be going on for the price of another microscope so I am not sure whether buying a head would be worthwhile, but I guess there is no harm in keeping on looking in case something turns up.

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:17 pm

If you only have one microscope, it helps if it is a model that you can modify easily, to work in several modes.
That model reminds me quite a bit of the AO series 2/4 fitted with a circular stage and the removeable nosepiece option. The body and focusing systems even look similar. On neither of them does the nosepiece come off as easily as it does on higher end scopes ( and much more expensive) but each can do it to change modes easier than unscrewing and screwing in objectives, which over time will probably result in either a damaged objective or a damaged thread. Even though I have newer microscope stands fitted with infinity planapos, I still use the series 4 as a go to microscope due to it's versatility on one small stand. The nosepiece comes off in 10 seconds, is back on in another 10 and is aligned in another 10. Currently there are 4 nosepieces loaded and aligned for it. I could have 6 if I could find the nosepieces, even including a vertical illuminator and epi objectives 5, 10, 20 and 40X.

You should meaure that dovetail. If you decide to go with a multiple nosepiece settup you might be able to procure easier found nosepieces from another stand that fit. When I was setting up a PZO Biolar for several modes : DIC, Planapo, Anoptral phase: I went looking for extra 5 place nosepieces and found them easily but I noted that 4 place were really cheap and available. The Russkies were very big on copying. Why design when you can copy I guess. They definitely copied a lot from Zeiss and then Jena but also PZO. There was an older PZO horseshoe stand that had a similar design to that Lomo. Maybe the dovetail went in laterally like that. The Biolar version goes in longitudinally so won't work.
That might have the same dovetail as others. The PZO dovetail is 36.5mm at the broad side on the male and 54mm long. 7mm deep.
The same with the head, if it in fact is a dovetail fitting. There is an Indian company that will do a custom dovetail on a trinocular head for 106.00 , for a 160mm scope. Binoculars are cheaper. They are new and they work. That might be an option.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trinocular-Hea ... ect=mobile

LomoBen

#6 Post by LomoBen » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:40 pm

You have a very nice scope there Amoeba, the rotating table is a very big plus.
For myself I have a Lomo Biolam D1 with a square table and CT-12 crosstable.
For Lomo are lots and lots accesoires available, I should defenitly keep it and 30 pounds is a steel.
Like Apochronaut pointed out objectives are quitte cheap, you can find achromats, planachromats, water and oil immersions, polarization , fluoresence and so on.
Watch out for the grease they used in this microscopes, if you don't use the scope for a long time and want to use it again, possibly everything is seized, happened to me,
coarse and fine focus was not working anymore as well as condensor height. Best thing to take the old Russian tank grease out and give it a good clean and relube it with new grease.
I don't know what the benefit is for coloured LED s, I converted my Lomo Koehler light OI-35 with a Star LED which I can dim.
A whole lot of information about Lomo you can find here, including LED conversions and how to take the scope apart for maintenance:
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... ource.html
I started with my scope quitte simple also with a monocular tube and later a binocular head, darkfield condensor, camera adapter, extra objectives , OI-35 lighting and so on.
Good luck,
Ben. ;)

Amoeba

#7 Post by Amoeba » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:07 pm

Thank you LomoBen for your comment.

I know what you mean about the grease. Two of the three thumb screws that adjust the position of the table were almost seized when I fist got it. I say almost, because with the help of some penetrating oil I was gradually able to move them. Eventually I was able to remove both and give the threads a clean. Even so, one of them seized up again because I had inadvertently left a small bit of grease next to the thread on the inside and it dragged through again as the screw was turned. It wasn't quite as bad, but still managed to make the screw extremely difficult to move. It now works perfectly smoothly.

My thinking behind the tri-colour LED (apart from it being an interesting toy!) was that in addition to white, with proper adjustment it can generate any colour on the visible spectrum. I believe it is also possible to control the intensity of the light. I have seen colour filters for microscopes and although I am admittedly not yet sufficiently educated about which filters to use for what type of samples, I figured that configuring it to emit say blue or red light would be equivalent to placing the corresponding colour filter over a white lamp. With my limited experience of microscopes, my idea may be completely off base and I could of course, just find a suitable white LED to use instead such as the Star LED you mention.

I did come across an OI-35 recently, but it was in Russia and with the current withdrawal of flights, it seemed a risky proposition buying from there so I didn't bid. It would no doubt had otherwise been a much better option than the OI-19 I ended up bidding on instead.

rudnicki

#8 Post by rudnicki » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:38 pm

I recently built an illuminator for a mirror microscope with a 3W cree XP-G led. Its luminous flux is 460 lm. It gives an illumination equivalent to a halogen of 20-30W. I used a 40x40x6 mm radiator, but it is enough to use a 40 mm diameter jar cover which is installed in place of the mirror. I used a 3.3V, 1500mA power supply, a Chinese 1 KOhm 5W potentiometer and the XP-G led. The led, potentiometer and thermal glue cost about $5. The final cost will depend on the price of power supply. With the 3.3V voltage, my leds have a current of 900-1200 mA. You also need a cheap zoom torch. You cut the zoom so that the image of the led is sharp for example on a wall in front of you. This gives a very effective mixture of critical and Kohler lighting. If this seems too complicated, you can glue a small tube with a frosted filter above the diode. I used glue with thermal conductivity > 1.0 W/mK.
Lomo microscopes are compatible with Jena Zeiss. Your microscope is copied from an old German model Zeiss LG.
zz11_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
zz11_Easy-Resize.com.jpg (51.52 KiB) Viewed 6547 times
zz13_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
zz13_Easy-Resize.com.jpg (76.44 KiB) Viewed 6547 times
Complete illuminator. Many wires :)
zz14_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
zz14_Easy-Resize.com.jpg (82.73 KiB) Viewed 6547 times
Two photos made with a similar illuminator
zz16_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
zz16_Easy-Resize.com.jpg (80.82 KiB) Viewed 6547 times
zz15_Easy-Resize.com (2).jpg
zz15_Easy-Resize.com (2).jpg (71.66 KiB) Viewed 6547 times

LomoBen

#9 Post by LomoBen » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:14 am

@ Amoeba:
A lot of Lomo produscts are coming from Russia, Belarus or Ukrain, so due to the Russian invasion I will not order anything from Russia or Belarus.
For Ukrain is different, but I am affraid that at the moment they cannot deliver, lots of families lost everything.
So maybe you can find in Germany, there are a lot of Lomo products as well, also under the name Bresser.
@ rudnicki:
Well done , looks very nice... ;)
Ben.

LomoBen

#10 Post by LomoBen » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:40 am

What is also a good idea is to buy a secondhand Olympus Koehler light, see this:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14305
Which you can probably convert to LED as well.

zzffnn

#11 Post by zzffnn » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:21 pm

That scope has a moving limb design for focusing, so not very stable when you have a heavy DSLR camera on its head. If you are In England, Vickers is a very good brand. Zeiss as well.

MicroBob

#12 Post by MicroBob » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:52 pm

Hi,
this Lomo microscope actually is a precise copy of a Zeiss Jena LG microscope that was made from the mid or late 1930s on. I had one made in 1969 and I still have 2 LGs and the quality is similar which means very very good. After the war the russains dismantled the Zeiss factory carefully and took it together with many workers to russia.
The LG was a milestone in the microscope development, and mechanically it was a true Zeiss product.
Today it has the drawback of the lack of a built in illumination, but this can be overcome. It has to be noted that the condenser focusses on a point ca. 25cm away from the microscope, so this is the point the field aperture is expected without the use of an auxillary lens.
The coarse focus travel is long enough to use the microscope with 45mm objectives too. The Zeiss 33mm Apochromats give a crisp image but are not nearly planar.
The moving arm of the microscope is easily strong enough to carry a camera. The dovetail can be tuned if necessary to support the load.

A good idea for upgrade parts is to buy a later LOMO Biolam microscope which is the same in a lighter version. Especially the later models with the disc fine focus are very robust and they are a nice stand to put into a backpack or so.
Nosepieces are compatible with Zeiss Jena LG, Lumpian, NG, NF and I think even the Mikroval series. A 5x nosepiece is very nice to have. The condenser diameter might be different from Zeiss Jena, I could measure it if necessary. With such a Biolam you could get a bino tube, second nosepiece, travel stand and Köhler illuminator and may be more.

Bob

zzffnn

#13 Post by zzffnn » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:36 pm

Bob,

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree on the moving arm design being stable enough to support a DSLR (yes, camera may stay on fine, but when you do focus stacking, a moving arm focus is not optimal).

I have a Biolam with disc fine focus, an AO series 4, an AO series 10 and a Nikon Optiphot. In US, AO4 and AO10 can be bought for cheaper than Biolam and are much more stable / durable. The Biolam is the only one in my collection that I consider as not stable enough and lightly built; hold them in you hands blindfolded and you will feel the difference. If OP is US, I would be happy to sell my Biolam to him/her at a slight loss.

MicroBob

#14 Post by MicroBob » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:31 am

For long range focus stacking I would prefer a model with a concentric coarse/fine focus that moves the stage by means of a common roller guide, like a Zeiss Standard 14. On my Phomi 1 the coarse focus moves the stage but over a separate guide and I wouldn't see it as smooth enough to do photo stacking with it. But my photo stacking never exceeds the range of 0,2mm so I only use the fine focus anyway.
Here in Germany the later rectangular Biolams were sold to the public over mail order companies and the basic monocular version is widely available and cheap, ca. 50€. Bino tubes are often available and not very expensive too. The other parts of the fairly extended system were never sold here new so they are comparatively rare. Since there is little collector interest in them the don't command high prices though. Tubes, eyepieces and objectives are compatible with Zeiss Jena ones from 1930s to 1970s which are plenty and fairly cheap here.
Compared to the Mbp-1 and the Zeiss Jena LG the later rectangular Biolam is no work of art or extreme precision but it is probably the lightest full size system microscope. With it's aluminium stand it weighs probably 1/3 of the Mbp-1 and most other models of proper brands. While I wouldn't prefer to use it at home I wouldn't really be unhappy if I had to. And it is a cheap option for a portable instrument. There even was a boxed model for field use.

Lots of information on the russian microscopes can be found here: http://www.mikroskopfreunde-nordhessen.de/lomo.php

When building an extensive system it would be helpful to know at the beginning what one will know at the end! :lol: It depends a lot on the local used market and on which options prove really important to find out which system is best. DIC or Epi illumination are only available for a few instruments and in some cases an accessory can be much more costly than the stand itself. These Local markets can be extremely different: While I guess that an AO microscope is a great buy in the USA I couldn't proove it as they are practically non-existent on the german market. :shock:

LomoBen

#15 Post by LomoBen » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:42 am

I second that completely, true story, Bob
That's why I like Lomo Biolam as well. :!:
Ben.

LomoBen

#16 Post by LomoBen » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:59 pm

Do you mean this one as the portable Biolam set Bob?
This is mine since 1974,Biolam D1.
Almost everything in the case except the binocular head and the OI 35 lighting.
Crosstable CT-12, monotube, darkfieldcondensor, 8 objectives, oculars, dustcover, camera adapter...
Attachments
P1040831 (Medium).JPG
P1040831 (Medium).JPG (149.22 KiB) Viewed 6395 times
P1040830 (Medium).JPG
P1040830 (Medium).JPG (124.1 KiB) Viewed 6395 times
P1040827 (Medium).JPG
P1040827 (Medium).JPG (126.76 KiB) Viewed 6395 times

Amoeba

#17 Post by Amoeba » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:10 pm

The OI-19 lamp arrived today. Unfortunately there is a problem. I was aware the cable had been cut off, but it otherwise appeared complete with a condenser of some sort but the listing did not mention that the bulb is jammed solid in the holder! I can't shift it at all.

I appreciate everyone's comments. As it happens there was another auction ending this morning which included a binocular head and I managed to win it. It cost £65 plus a tenner in UK postage which is certainly less that I would have otherwise spent on replacing the Microscope. It comes with 7mm eyepieces rather than 10mm but also an illuminator which is similar in style to the Olympus one shown by MicroscopyUniverse on the other thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14305&p=119709#p114290

However, it is in black, doesn't seem to have a frosted glass and I can't see any branding information. Other items in the lot included a psu/control box by Brunel Microscopes, several filters, a 'measuring device' model ct-12y42 and a LOMO MbP-1 microscope! The microscope comes with 4 objectives (one is a 40 0.65, another might be a 20x, the remaining two I can't make out but I guess the short one marked NA-13 will be the low mag positioning lens). I will obviously be keeping the binocular head, filters, illuminator and measuring device, but there is always the option of selling the microscope to recover some of the cost, unless my daughter happens to take an interest. The lot seemed too good to miss and gives me the two accessories I have been looking to add to my existing microscope kit, plus some extras.

In the meantime I am wondering whether there is any trick or method to remove the that bulb? From photos it appears to have a bayonet fitting, but there seems to be no give whatsoever in any direction. I have also tried a bit of PlusGas penetrating fluid, but so far it hasn't budged. If I can't shift it, then it probably will have to go back for refund.
Last edited by Amoeba on Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Amoeba

#18 Post by Amoeba » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:10 pm

Well I managed to release the faulty bulb! It turns out that the aluminium piece that fits into the lamp barrel has to be rotated and slackened off the lamp holder before the bulb can be removed. The penetrating fluid may have helped the inner and outer metal pieces to come apart. An interesting arrangement. I can also now see that the condenser fits on the bottom of the lamp. The metal ring floating loose inside the lamp barrel is evidently meant to secure it to the bottom of the lamp. I am wondering whether there are replacement LED lamp bulbs with such a fitting?
Last edited by Amoeba on Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zzffnn

#19 Post by zzffnn » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:12 pm

Very well said, Bob.

Indeed, I also use my Biolam as my lightest portable full sized scope.

Parts availability is indeed a bit different between European and US markets. I wish I had a crystal ball when I started microscopy as a hobby.

LomoBen

#20 Post by LomoBen » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:33 pm

Amoeba wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:10 pm
Well I managed to release the faulty bulb! It turns out that the aluminium piece that fits into the lamp barrel has to be rotated and slackened off the lamp holder before the bulb can be removed. The penetrating fluid may have helped the inner and outer metal pieces to come apart. An interesting arrangement. I can also now see that the condenser fits on the bottom of the lamp. The metal ring floating loose inside the lamp barrel is evidently meant to secure it to the bottom of the lamp. I am wondering whether there are replacement LED lamp bulbs with such a fitting?
No, there is no LED complete with the fitting you need, you need to be creative and make it yourself, see this article:
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... ource.html
And then in the chapter lighting:
LED - Star LEDs for two LOMO microscopes Robert Pavlis

Amoeba

#21 Post by Amoeba » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:52 pm

Thank you for the link which I will take a look at.
In the meantime,the fitting seems to be B15 so I was wondering whether as a direct replacement one of these might work as a quick and dirty drop-in replacement?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272969921871 ... 3f8e46754f

NO! THIS IS NOT A SUITABLE REPLACEMENT!

Obviously, as with the original incandescent bulb, there would be no control over light intensity and as is sometimes evident with mains operated LED lamps, flicker might be a problem. I do plan on making my own LED lamp fitting with intensity control but just looking for a short term fix. These seem to be cheaper than LOMO specific incandescent bulbs.

NO! THIS IS NOT A SUITABLE REPLACEMENT!
having done a bit more research it is evident that the original bulb is low voltage, 8V 20W not mains AC. The lamp is likely NOT rated for mains and the intensity of the light for the mains LED bulb may be much too high and unsafe.
Last edited by Amoeba on Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

LomoBen

#22 Post by LomoBen » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:16 pm

This is what I am using in my Lomo OI-35.
It fits perfectly in the lampholder,now with Star LED.
To be honest I did not make it myself, but a friend of mine who is an electician...
The LED on print is coming from Conrad.
But made according that article.
Attachments
P1040834 (Medium).JPG
P1040834 (Medium).JPG (109.51 KiB) Viewed 6379 times
P1040833 (Medium).JPG
P1040833 (Medium).JPG (136.59 KiB) Viewed 6379 times

LomoBen

#23 Post by LomoBen » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:20 pm

Amoeba wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:52 pm
Thank you for the link which I will take a look at.
In the meantime,the fitting seems to be B15 so I was wondering whether as a direct replacement one of these might work as a quick and dirty drop-in replacement?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272969921871 ... 3f8e46754f

Obviously, as with the original incandescent bulb, there would be no control over light intensity and as is sometimes evident with mains operated LED lamps, flicker might be a problem. I do plan on making my own LED lamp fitting with intensity control but just looking for a short term fix. These seem to be cheaper than LOMO specific incandescent bulbs.
I don't know if this will work, that are a lot of LED s....

MicroBob

#24 Post by MicroBob » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:08 pm

Hi Amoeba,
with which name can we adress you?
Congratulations to your second microscope, it gives you a lot of parts for acceptable money!
The Lomo bino have a tube factor of 1,5 so for most eyes it makes sense to use 7x or 10x eyepieces at max. to avoid getting into empty magnification with the acromats. There are correcting and non-correcting eyepieces, I think the manual (on the linked website) states which are used with which objective. The correcting eyepieces have similar correction to Zeiss West and Zeiss Jena and Leitz 160mm eyepieces. The non-correcting ones can be exchanged for many other eyepieces like new chinese ones. So there are more comfortable options available.
The Mbp-1 has like many microscopes a clockwork fine focus which has limited resistance against mechanical shocks and overload by forcing gummed up guides. So it might be an idea to keep the second stand to have this part as a spare available. The earlier rectangular Biolams had a clockwork too but I'm not sure it is compatible because they simplified the Mbp-1 a lot to get to the cheap to make Biolam.

LED bulbs that just fit in may work for bright field work, but as soon as you do things like oblique illumination an LED with a real heat sink like LomoBen showed is needed. If you are goint to make one yourself I can give you a few hints.

Hi Lomo-Ben,
that is the portable Biolam I meant!
There was a portable version of the Mbp-1 too, I think in a smaller box but a lot heavier. I also have built a field version of the Biolam myself, less comfortable to focus but very light, good for air travel.

Bob
Attachments
DSC03866 klein 1024.jpg
DSC03866 klein 1024.jpg (158.92 KiB) Viewed 6370 times

LomoBen

#25 Post by LomoBen » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:32 pm

@ Amoeba
If you convert to LED be very carefull as well for your eyesight!
I think that is a must that you can regulate the light, esspecially some are giving UV light as well...
@ Bob
That Biolam travel microscope I have never seen before, awesome.
My Biolam is also fitted in a transportcase , but weighs a lot of kilogrammes...
Ben.

Amoeba

#26 Post by Amoeba » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:10 pm

MicroBob wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:08 pm
Hi Amoeba,
with which name can we adress you?
Sorry, my name is John.
MicroBob wrote:
Congratulations to your second microscope, it gives you a lot of parts for acceptable money!
It was a 'house clearance' lot that I chanced upon while browsing for other LOMO items. It contained the items I was looking for and had just over a day to go with bidding standing at £20. There were two bids from the same person. I figured they may might perhaps put in a second bid of £50 to give them a bit of a margin, so I bid £70. There were no other bids and the final price was £65.89, so I guess the other bidder must have bid somewhere around £60. I don't think I would have wanted to go too much higher.
MicroBob wrote:
The Lomo bino have a tube factor of 1,5 so for most eyes it makes sense to use 7x or 10x eyepieces at max. to avoid getting into empty magnification with the acromats. There are correcting and non-correcting eyepieces, I think the manual (on the linked website) states which are used with which objective. The correcting eyepieces have similar correction to Zeiss West and Zeiss Jena and Leitz 160mm eyepieces. The non-correcting ones can be exchanged for many other eyepieces like new chinese ones. So there are more comfortable options available.
Thank you. Useful to know. I will see how it goes with the 7x to start with and then decide whether I want to get a pair of 10x.
MicroBob wrote:
The Mbp-1 has like many microscopes a clockwork fine focus which has limited resistance against mechanical shocks and overload by forcing gummed up guides. So it might be an idea to keep the second stand to have this part as a spare available. The earlier rectangular Biolams had a clockwork too but I'm not sure it is compatible because they simplified the Mbp-1 a lot to get to the cheap to make Biolam.
That makes sense and is something I hadn't even thought of. I am curious about the difference between my MbP1 and the MbP-1E that comes with this lot. It does not have the rotating table but otherwise, the stand looks pretty much the same. I guess having a spare stand would be useful at that, even though I wasn't particularly looking for one!
MicroBob wrote:
LED bulbs that just fit in may work for bright field work, but as soon as you do things like oblique illumination an LED with a real heat sink like LomoBen showed is needed. If you are goint to make one yourself I can give you a few hints.
Yes, I will ultimately be making one myself. I don't think the one that is due to arrive has a LED conversion. Will have to wait and see what that control box does exactly but I expect that I will need to build something from scratch.
LomoBen wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:32 pm
@ Amoeba
If you convert to LED be very carefull as well for your eyesight!
I think that is a must that you can regulate the light, esspecially some are giving UV light as well...
That is a very good point although that yellow stuff on the LEDs in that sewing machine bulb and many household LED bulbs is meant to filter out the UV as well as correcting the colour temperature. I do take you point about being careful though. The colour LED array I purchased does not have this yellow filter so I am not sure what UV protection, if any, tit has. Thank you for pointing that out.

LomoBen

#27 Post by LomoBen » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:35 pm

It is not UV only , but very bright light on maximum output can be harmful as well , better be carefull ..

Amoeba

#28 Post by Amoeba » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:31 pm

On closer inspection of the condenser that fits into the bottom of the lamp, and which I have just cleaned, I discovered that it has a diaphragm. This can be adjusted by means of a lever, I presume, to control the level of emitted light. I expect one would have to start from stopped down and gradually increase the level of light as required but it would appear that this illuminator does have the means to control intensity of the light directed at the microscope mirror. Even so, I can see that care would be required to remember to set the diaphragm for a sufficiently low level before looking into the microscope. You make a good point regarding light intensity nad the point is well taken.

In any case, I will be reviewing the linked material and will probably look at getting one or two of these Star LEDs that have been mentioned rather than risk messing about with unknown light sources.
Attachments
Condenser-01-s.jpg
Condenser-01-s.jpg (82.66 KiB) Viewed 6338 times
Condenser-02-s.jpg
Condenser-02-s.jpg (92.86 KiB) Viewed 6338 times
Condenser-03-s.jpg
Condenser-03-s.jpg (87.62 KiB) Viewed 6338 times

Scarodactyl

#29 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:36 pm

LomoBen wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:35 pm
It is not UV only , but very bright light on maximum output can be harmful as well , better be carefull ..
Major suppliers (like CREE) do offer safety data sheets which can help make informed decisions when retrofitting. Good resource to consult.

Amoeba

#30 Post by Amoeba » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:27 am

I have come to realise that the original Russian bulb for the OI-19 is a low voltage bulb rated a 8V/20W. I initially thought it was mains rated! In that case, the sewing machine bulb I referred to earlier would DEFINITELY NOT be a suitable substitute. It is unlikely that the lamp and its components would be rated for mains voltage, the light intensity is likely to be too high, and it may get too hot. I was solely focused on the B12 mount and hadn't considered other factors. Having read excellent and the very useful information about microscopy lighting on the microscopy-uk.org website as suggested I see that very careful consideration is needed

I also now realise that the diaphragm is evidently part of a Kohler lighing system.

I would like to ask what rating of LED (wattage) is suitable for a microscope lamp? I imagine that 8W in incandescent would probably translate into less than 1W in LED lighting, although I think I saw a reference to a 2.5W LED? I am still reading up on this so I might come across the info somewhere down the line...