Ernst Leitz Wetzlar SM-Pol

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
J_WISC

Ernst Leitz Wetzlar SM-Pol

#1 Post by J_WISC » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:18 am

Here's my "new" Ernst Leitz Wetzlar SM-POL polarizing microscope.
IMG_E1213_smaller.JPG
IMG_E1213_smaller.JPG (130.08 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
I acquired it from a university surplus auction for just under $50. Which I believe was an awesome deal. I wasn't shopping for a polarizing microscope, but couldn't bid high enough to compete for "normal" microscopes. So I decided to go for the Wetzlar. And I won! It looks like a good scope, good condition, just needs a light source. I'm currently using an LED flashlight covered by a white tissue to diffuse the light a bit. It looks like all the parts are there, including a compensator. The knobs, levers, and stage move smoothly. There's one problem ... I knew nothing about polarized light microscopy until a few weeks ago and now I'm obsessed. :lol: Works for brightfield as well, but can someone offer suggestions for exploiting the polarizing filters?

My first experiment was dissolving citric acid I bought for baking and letting a drop dry/crystalize on a glass slide overnight. I was stunned when it worked.
031822-07.jpg
031822-07.jpg (81.85 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
Photo captured using an AmScope 5.0 MP eyepiece camera in place of the eyepiece. There was flickering across the live image. Is this an LED flashlight issue or an LED general issue? I'm trying to decide regarding a better light source.

zzffnn

Re: Ernst Leitz Wetzlar SM-Pol

#2 Post by zzffnn » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:40 pm

Not all LEDs producing banding / flickering. I have some that do and some that do not.