You never know.

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Greg Howald

You never know.

#1 Post by Greg Howald » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:59 am

My brother ordered a microscope for me. It was an "open box" t720q from Amscope. I was excited to receive it, until I opened it up.
Someone had removed the nose piece and left the objectives installed. Ball bearings were everywhere. Little tiny, Itty bitty ball bearings. Did I find them all? Of course not. I carefully gathered what I could, removed all of the objectives, and began the rebuild. About ten bearings were missing and I thought it needed a few more to be ok. I found six of them inside the objectives and had to fish them out and clean the upmost lens on all of them. I got it put back together then noticed a bushing was missing on the center mounting bolt and had to make a bushing. When I finally got it all back together and checked it out it seemed OK. But I'll be looking for bearings from time to time to make sure.
When you get an "open box" item you never know what you are going to get. They evidently don't open returns to check them and if they do they don't know what they are looking at. I think they must all be warehouse monkeys.
Hang in there. Greg

Phill Brown

Re: You never know.

#2 Post by Phill Brown » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:53 am

It is representative of handling.
If it can't survive an airdrop without a parachute it's likely to be broken.

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:31 pm

Should eBay not regard an open box the same as "for parts"?
Because, if it had been listed as "used", and arrived faulty, as described, it is a candidate for return and refund by the seller. Is it not ?

Greg Howald

#4 Post by Greg Howald » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:20 pm

My brother bought it from Amscope. I was shocked. Today I ordered new ball bearings for the nosepiece. They should be here Monday and I will do a complete rebuild. It will be a challenge but I have no choice if I want everything to be centered properly. The scope gives great images, bright and clear. Once necessary repairs are complete I'll be posting quite a few photos.
It may take more than one try but I can do this.
Greg

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:08 pm

Wow, you've really got a nice slice of the Amscope product range. Any major holes left in the lineup? I guess maybe their CMO stereo line?
Last edited by Scarodactyl on Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Howald

#6 Post by Greg Howald » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:02 am

I only have three stereo scopes.

Scarodactyl

#7 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:04 am

Greg Howald wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:02 am
I only have three stereo scopes.
Sounds like you've got room for two or three more :D

Greg Howald

#8 Post by Greg Howald » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:56 am

I'd by the Amscope Delphi X but at 73, my wife won't let me mortgage the house! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Greg Howald

#9 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:33 am

The ball bearings came today and the scope is totally restored. I was able to do it because of knowledge gain by participating in this forum. Thanks to everyone.
Greg

Greg Howald

#10 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:55 pm

Just so you know. Thius wasn't any fun, but as I look at the photos I'm reminded that I've always wanted an inverted scope. :lol:
Attachments
in pieces.jpg
in pieces.jpg (67.14 KiB) Viewed 3607 times
restoration.jpg
restoration.jpg (82.89 KiB) Viewed 3607 times

Scarodactyl

#11 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:02 am

Congrats on getting it up and running!

dtsh

#12 Post by dtsh » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:57 am

Greg Howald wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:55 pm
Just so you know. Thius wasn't any fun, but as I look at the photos I'm reminded that I've always wanted an inverted scope. :lol:
I don't believe you when you say it wasn't any fun.

Greg Howald

#13 Post by Greg Howald » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:30 am

I complained about this to Amscope. They offered to exchange the scope for a new one but I had already received new bearings and used oversized bearings in the central hub to make up for the loss of the bushing. It went well. It works well and I told them I would keep it. But the fact that they responded to my outcry was kind of amazing to me. Maybe they have new management.

LouiseScot

#14 Post by LouiseScot » Fri May 06, 2022 1:12 pm

Greg Howald wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:30 am
I complained about this to Amscope. They offered to exchange the scope for a new one but I had already received new bearings and used oversized bearings in the central hub to make up for the loss of the bushing. It went well. It works well and I told them I would keep it. But the fact that they responded to my outcry was kind of amazing to me. Maybe they have new management.
There is currently another open box T720Q on Amscope/Ebay UK - it works out at about £66 cheaper (UK £820.75) so really not worth the risk, despite the 'working, tested, 5yr warranty' assurances from Amscope. Amscope UK (in the Netherlands!) sell a T720QC-3PL for £886.99 (one would be paying a lot for the unwanted and useless 25x EPs but maybe still not a bad UK price otherwise).

If anyone is thinking of buying a new (Chinese) scope maybe now is not a bad time - Inflation is going up, prices rising, disruptions in China... I just ordered a T680A (from Irvine/Ebay) and may also get a T720Q. The two will likely do me for the rest of my days :)

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

apochronaut

#15 Post by apochronaut » Fri May 06, 2022 1:59 pm

Buy from the factory or authorized agent. No shenanigans from hucksters.
The first lot of 100X Olympus format W.I. objectives I ordered had 5 of the 6 that were outside the 20 micron parcentering perimeter that I will tolerate from such an objective . Otherwise they were fine. My Chinese agent organized and paid for a return to China. Picked up at my door and they had 5 replacements made for me and shipped back gratis. The shipping was about 100.00 in total.

LouiseScot

#16 Post by LouiseScot » Fri May 06, 2022 2:07 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 1:59 pm
Buy from the factory or authorized agent. No shenanigans from hucksters.
The first lot of 100X Olympus format W.I. objectives I ordered had 5 of the 6 that were outside the 20 micron parcentering perimeter that I will tolerate from such an objective . Otherwise they were fine. My Chinese agent organized and paid for a return to China. Picked up at my door and they had 5 replacements made for me and shipped back gratis. The shipping was about 100.00 in total.
Most people, like me, don't know their way around the Chinese markets or have a 'Chinese agent', and don't by batches of 100x objectives...

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

apochronaut

#17 Post by apochronaut » Fri May 06, 2022 2:35 pm

My comments were to illustrate how not to get taken. The number of units involved is irrelevant because the same suppliers will sell one unit to anyone. You pay the price for the item, the shipping and it arrives at your door. They are reliable because they are responsible to and for their company and they have integrity.
Companies like Amscope are profit motivated primarily and do not have a good track record for customer service. They are merely convenient because they are everywhere. You can't get away from them.

If you care to look beyond that overt presence of Amscope there is a very large picture which portrays lots of options that are in fact far superior options than Amscope and not just in China. In India too and again powered by people who feel responsible to you as a customer.
It's all on your computer, the same way you found Amscope and this forum.

LouiseScot

#18 Post by LouiseScot » Fri May 06, 2022 2:43 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 2:35 pm
My comments were to illustrate how not to get taken. The number of units involved is irrelevant because the same suppliers will sell one unit to anyone. You pay the price for the item, the shipping and it arrives at your door. They are reliable because they are responsible to and for their company and they have integrity.
Companies like Amscope are profit motivated primarily and do not have a good track record for customer service. They are merely convenient because they are everywhere. You can't get away from them.

If you care to look beyond that overt presence of Amscope there is a very large picture which portrays lots of options that are in fact far superior options than Amscope and not just in China. In India too and again powered by people who feel responsible to you as a customer.
It's all on your computer, the same way you found Amscope and this forum.
Amscope are box shifters - everyone knows that. Apart from looking through Bestscope's offerings I don't know who/where else to look for. In the end, you can spend ages looking here there and everywhere and still not find what you're looking for, else just end up finding something very similar to what Amscope offer. I don't know about anyone else, but my life is too short.

Louise