Olympus SZ40 stereo

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
imkap

Olympus SZ40 stereo

#1 Post by imkap » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:47 pm

Here it is, my new/old Olympus SZ40. Arrived in perfect condition, I'm happy... :mrgreen:

I think I'll make a 30->23mm adapter and try to take photos through the eyepiece hole with an eyepiece, like I did on my Zeiss GFL. But I'm not sure how much weight should I put on, as it is built differently than the GFL.
Or I could build an adapter for attachment on the outside of the eyepiece tube maybe with an M42 thread to connect to camera, similar to Asahi Pentax (which BTW arrived today to the post office. I'll go get it in the morning). And then put any eyepiece inside. I'd appreciate any advice and comments on this.
Obviously the best thing would be to get a trinocular tube, but I didn't see any for sale, I suppose they might be rare...

I acquired an NFK eyepiece, but it is a 6.7 (got it pretty cheap), so too narrow field for stereo. Images look nice on GFL, I think a bit sharper than before.

For 2 images attached I held a camera with lens on the eyepiece...
oly.jpg
oly.jpg (93.74 KiB) Viewed 2576 times
DSC04517.JPG
DSC04517.JPG (162.96 KiB) Viewed 2576 times
DSC04518.JPG
DSC04518.JPG (330.25 KiB) Viewed 2576 times

Dennis

Re: Olympus SZ40 stereo

#2 Post by Dennis » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:19 am

What I am saying!

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:37 am

What are you saying?

Re the original post, the trinocular port from the Chinese clones can be put on a real sz40. They can sometimes be found cheap. The sz40 is a great scope, I just put one onto a gemscope for a client.
Edit: not all olympus sz40 clones are the same, just got one with a nonremoveable trinoc port. The removeable one had a metal shell only on the trinoc port, the nonremoveable one was all plastic as a quick differentiator.
Last edited by Scarodactyl on Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis

#4 Post by Dennis » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:45 am

That is like Jive talk. I guess I shouldn't get too smug and frolicy.
What I am saying. I hear you. Talk to me. Getin er done.

imkap

#5 Post by imkap » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:23 pm

Dennis wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:45 am
That is like Jive talk. I guess I shouldn't get too smug and frolicy.
What I am saying. I hear you. Talk to me. Getin er done.
I suppose you like the microscope... Great :D
I can understand a bit of slang, but not completely as a non native English speaker...
Scarodactyl wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:37 am
Re the original post, the trinocular port from the Chinese clones can be put on a real sz40. They can sometimes be found cheap. The sz40 is a great scope, I just put one onto a gemscope for a client.
You showed me how it is done in an another post, but I'll probably wait for the real thing. It should pop up sooner or later.
I agree it is great, yesterday I made a video with direct projection on aps-c, following your advice and it was very good. It will definitely suffice until I get a trinocular add on...
The only thing I need is more light, so I used my bike light. Today I ordered 2 gooseneck USB LEDs from a Swedish furniture company along with some furniture, we'll see how that works, if not powerful enough I may use the goosenecks and put some DIY leds on it, though not sure about the weight capacity...

jfiresto

#6 Post by jfiresto » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:48 pm

imkap wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:23 pm
... Today I ordered 2 gooseneck USB LEDs from a Swedish furniture company along with some furniture, we'll see how that works, if not powerful enough I may use the goosenecks and put some DIY leds on it, though not sure about the weight capacity...
Which ones? I bought some 70 lumen, Jansjö desk lamps before IKEA discontinued them. The first pair droop a bit under their own weight when horizontal; the later ones are stiffer and do not. The current USB version is only 10 lumens and was not nearly as bright when I compared them in the store a few years back.
-John

imkap

#7 Post by imkap » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:54 pm

I ordered the USB version :| didn't know they were different. maybe I can use the gooseneck...

viktor j nilsson

#8 Post by viktor j nilsson » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:05 pm

The original Jansjö was replaced by Nävlinge a couple of years ago. While the Jansjö was flexible throughout its length, the Nävlinge is only flexible for 1/3 of its length or so. On the flip side, the Nävlinge puts out more light (220 lumen). I haven't tried the Nävlinge myself, so can't comment on light quality (I bought several Jansjö when they were being phased out).

imkap

#9 Post by imkap » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:05 pm

I just bought a Jansjö as I read about it somewhere, Navlinge seems a bit too big and high, not sure if I'd be able to use it for stereo microscope easily... If a Jansjö gooseneck is tough enough it will make a great DIY platform, it is pretty cheap at 3€.

jfiresto

#10 Post by jfiresto » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:43 am

The IKEA Nävlinge lamp emits more lumens but over a much greater area. It did not seem much brighter than the Jansjö, but I probably should double check. The Nävlinge's considerably bigger head and short flex section convinced me to buy more Jansjö's when IKEA was closing them out. You can buy similar lamps, with fully flexible necks, as bedside reading lights. I also bought a pair of these, to mount above and behind a stereo microscope, but have not had a chance to play with them.
-John