Rent, Buy Used, or New AO or Similar?

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Rich Field

Rent, Buy Used, or New AO or Similar?

#1 Post by Rich Field » Mon May 09, 2022 12:44 am

My geology project requires that I look at my old thin sections but I don't have a petrographic microscope.

These things are hella expensive! Even used!

What's the collective wisdom say about a used 30 year old Olympus/Nikon versus a new AO, Steindorff, Optika or one of those cut-rate Indian petrographic microscopes I see all over e-bay?

I need a trinocular scope with rotating stage, quarter wave plate and decent optics for good resolution photos using my own camera rig.

apochronaut

Re: Rent, Buy Used, or New AO or Similar?

#2 Post by apochronaut » Mon May 09, 2022 1:26 am

AO branded microscopes ceased to be made affter 1985. The factory continued until the early 2000's under the convenient marketing name of Reichert, afterwards being absorbed into an 8 compsny merger under the name Leica. Steindorff went bankrupt in 1986. Optika assembles microscopes from Chinese components and pretends that they are made in Italy.

Don't have a lot of dough.? Best bet is keep your eyes peeled for used or buy direct from a Chinese broker or factory or one out of India, from similar sources.

Greg Howald

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Mon May 09, 2022 1:50 am

I know how you feel. My pz200 from Amscope cost 2000 dollars. Thin sections for geology are interesting and educational, and petrographic scopes are expensive. The good thing about them is that they can be used in normal brightfield, darkfield, and oblique lighting configurations.
I realize that if this is just for a class it is far reaching. But if it is something that will also get you started in a position when the education is complete then maybe you should look at long term results.
You may find one on ebay but it doesn't happen often and it is risky, especially if you are restricted by a deadline. My brother purchased a petrographic scope from India and it took months to arrive.

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon May 09, 2022 1:59 am

I waited years for a deal and only recently found one. Geologists don't let go of their scopes easily.
That said, the one I got (reviewed here viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15386 ) is offered for under 1k on Amazon. If that listing is real it could be a reasonable deal. I like mine.

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Mon May 09, 2022 3:18 am

Do you need simple polarization or quantitative polarization?

If it's just pictures, it's pretty easy and comparatively cheap to add a polarizer over the field lens, an analyzer under the head, and wave plate to something like a Nikon Labophot and many other scopes. The rotating stage a bit harder to come by, but for simple polarization might not be needed. If you're handy, you might find something cheap and adapt it.

If you need features like accurate centering and accurate degree marks on the stage, condenser, and analyzer, then the availability of anything that's complete and semi-affordable (such as the suggestions above) is about as good as it gets.

Greg Howald

#6 Post by Greg Howald » Mon May 09, 2022 1:44 pm

For mineral identification there is no substitution for a petrographic scope, and the bigger, the better. Measurements taken must be accurate. One has to use patience and skill. Two things I seem to lack.

BramHuntingNematodes

#7 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Mon May 09, 2022 2:00 pm

I like those old Zeiss pol objectives that center themselves as you turn them. They're not too pricey yet.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Rich Field

#8 Post by Rich Field » Mon May 09, 2022 6:47 pm

Anyone with experience with microscope rentals?

Scarodactyl

#9 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon May 09, 2022 7:11 pm

I think rentals would typically be done by institutions, it's not typically on our radar as hobbyists.