Books we use

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
tlansing

Books we use

#1 Post by tlansing » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:14 pm

I hope it is ok to post this here, but I think most microscopists on this forum enjoy their books on microscopy and microscopic life almost as much as the scopes they use. In a post in the identification area, there was a question, what references do people use? Someone posted pictures of the books they use on their bookshelf. I thought that was pretty cool and interesting to see what books others use. I have thought about this often and how I would like to know what books others have that they might want to share with this forum so I took some photos of the books I have collected over the years. I can point to a few that have particular meaning for me;
The Marvelous Animals by Helena Curtis: first got me excited about protozoa in grade school
Introduction to Protozoology by RD Manwell: the first textbook on protozoology that I attempted to read as a teenager
Protozoology by RP Hall: given to me as a gift by the great ciliatologist John O. Corliss, a most kind and generous man
Paramecium: A Current Survey: given to me by Gene McArdle and Charles Ehret, who have a chapter in this book on ultrastructure
The Sphagnum Ponds of Simmelried in Germany by Kreutz and Foissner: the spectacular photos in this book are an inspiration (and have helped me identify a lot of things)
Books1.jpg
Books1.jpg (129.5 KiB) Viewed 5699 times
Books2.jpg
Books2.jpg (173.76 KiB) Viewed 5699 times
Books3.jpg
Books3.jpg (121.7 KiB) Viewed 5699 times

GerryR

Re: Books we use

#2 Post by GerryR » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:40 pm

Nice post! Two books I have that I don't see on your "shelf" are the following:
Principles & Techniques in Histology, Microscopy and Photomicrography; D.R. Singh
Exploring with the Microscope; Werner Nachtigall

tlansing

#3 Post by tlansing » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:23 am

Thanks, GerryR. I don't have the first book but the Nachtigall book is in the second photo, 5th from the left next to Basic Microscopic Techniques.

Javier

#4 Post by Javier » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:30 pm

That is a very nice collection! Thanks for sharing and for your personal recommendations.

paulinehepburnzpe37

#5 Post by paulinehepburnzpe37 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:04 pm

tlansing wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:14 pm
I hope it is ok to post this here, but I think most microscopists on this forum enjoy their books on microscopy and microscopic life almost as much as the scopes they use. In a post in the identification area, there was a question, what references do people use? Someone posted pictures of the books they use on their bookshelf. I thought that was pretty cool and interesting to see what books others use. I have thought about this often and how I would like to know what books others have that they might want to share with this forum so I took some photos of the books I have collected over the years. I can point to a few that have particular meaning for me;
The Marvelous Animals by Helena Curtis: first got me excited about protozoa in grade school
Introduction to Protozoology by RD Manwell: the first textbook on protozoology that I attempted to read as a teenager
Protozoology by RP Hall: given to me as a gift by the great ciliatologist John O. Corliss, a most kind and generous man
Paramecium: A Current Survey: given to me by Gene McArdle and Charles Ehret, who have a chapter in this book on ultrastructure
The Sphagnum Ponds of Simmelried in Germany by Kreutz and Foissner: the spectacular photos in this book are an inspiration (and have helped me identify a lot of things)
Books1.jpg
Books2.jpg
Books3.jpg
Such a collection can only be envied. I don't think I'll ever get one. Especially now I began to buy books less often. I have a bunch of assignments from college, recently asked to write about cheerleading, I used https://paperap.com/free-papers/cheerleading/ for that. I stopped doing everything myself, because there was absolutely no time left for my personal life. What I did before training just disappeared.
I have never seen such a collection.
Last edited by paulinehepburnzpe37 on Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzffnn

#6 Post by zzffnn » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:47 am

Hello tlansing,

I am interested in your “The illustrated guide to the Protozoa second edition”. Would it be difficult for you to show a photo of a typical content page, for example, the page for Brachonella sp? Or Frontonia sp?

Please feel free to recommend other similar “illustrated protozoology” for me. Thank you very much!

I am considering buying Mr. David Seamer’s illustrated protozoology version, but wonder if there is an alternative option that offers more detailed drawings and descriptions of biology.

I would prefer some similar to the photo portion of this paper on Brachonella sp, with concise description:
https://www.microbiologyresearch.org/co ... awler=true

I do also have a copy of The Sphagnum Ponds of Simmelried in Germany by Kreutz and Foissner, and like it very much!

Edit: now that I think about it: since I already have two “picture books”, I should probably buy a biology text book as well, preferably something organized by species. Any recommendations? Thank you very much!

I am located in USA, which may limit some book availability.

tlansing

#7 Post by tlansing » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:46 pm

Hi zzffnn,

Thanks for the comments. Here are the pages from the Illustrated Guide that you requested.
IMG-2366.jpg
IMG-2366.jpg (144.54 KiB) Viewed 5284 times
IMG-2367.jpg
IMG-2367.jpg (83.4 KiB) Viewed 5284 times
The book is organized as keys to help identify protozoa to representative genera There is also a lot of introductory material to orient the reader. Most of the books that I have are quite old now and the names and relationships among the organisms have changed, especially with the advent of molecular data. Once I have made a preliminary determination of what a particular protist might be, then I do google searches for images to help identify it and then search for references about the organism to pin down further its identity. I also consult experts on this forum, like Bruce Taylor, when I am stuck and they help me out. I use the Kreutz and Foissner book all the time to help with identification. There are also websites like the one by Ferry Siemensma (www.arcella.nl) that are very helpful; maybe someday Martin Kreutz will also create one!

zzffnn

#8 Post by zzffnn » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:10 am

Very helpful, thank you, tlansing.