My Evolving Nikon Microphot FX

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Finelld

My Evolving Nikon Microphot FX

#1 Post by Finelld » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:04 am

I am finally getting around to sharing images of my setup. I don't have all the money in the world so the used and broken markets is where I tend to shop.

I wanted a quality name brand microscope that I could find parts for and was upgradeable so I can add features in the future. I settled on a used Nikon Microphot-FX from eBay. It still wasn't cheap and it lacked the power supply, cables, objectives, and other minor things. But it did have a nice phase contrast condenser with darkfield. I purchased several used objectives off of eBay, one group was being sold as broken , not working, and for parts. I was able to get all but two working. I have hopes that I can repair the remaining two. I I purchased a small polarizing filter to go in the filter holder between the objectives and the viewing assembly and used a camera polarizing filter over the light source to give me good quality polarized viewing capabilities. I really like looking at crystals and thin sections of rocks under polarized light. I was able to source two power supplies for the microscope and I purchased a bunch of old microscope cables and fortunately that bunch had the necessary 25 pin cable I needed to go from the power supply to the microscope. I personally think Nikon did a bit of over engineering on this thing, but I can't find any plastic on it other than knobs and the horizontal stage rack gear. The microscope is alive.

The coarse and medium focus are a bit stiff as well as a knob that positions target overlays in the viewfinder. I hired a Nikon authorized microscope service shop to come out and give the scope a tune up. That made a big difference....But. The technician hadn't seen a monster scope like this before and wasn't familiar with how to work on it. Before he came out I warned him that this wasn't a typical microscope and he might want to allocate extra time to look at it. He didn't and wasn't able to get the service manuals from Nikon. He did the best he could and only charged me a fraction of what was quoted. But I am going to need to do some work on the scope on my own. Just when I thought I could get lazy in my old age :-)

I also wanted to illuminate some larger samples from the side so I again hit eBay for a fiber optic light source. The prices were ouch.. I was able to find a broken one that had been abused, was all marked up, had a crack in the case, and wouldn't power on for about 10% of what working models were going for used. I grabbed it. When I received it it rattled on the inside and was completely dead, just like advertised. Nothing that a multimeter, a new lamp, screwdrivers, glue, and solvent can't fix. I will say that Zeiss has a way of puzzling their light sources together that makes them unintuitive getting into them. The fuses were good. There was a small broken piece of plastic and some glass shards inside the machine. The fan mount was broken. After fixing the mechanical problems and replacing the lamp I tried turning it on. Nope. Further troubleshooting. I ended up discovering that it had a bad power cord. The cord got 110vac at the plug but by the time it got into the unit it had dropped to 12vac without any current. Replaced the cord and the unit came to life. I reassembled the unit and took care of some cosmetic issues and now I have a very nicely working fiber light source.

In the future I hope to add DIC, fluorescence, etc. to this scope but for now my wallet needs to recover.

I hope to have lots of fun in the future.
1E1A3087.jpg
1E1A3087.jpg (196.87 KiB) Viewed 1803 times

Scarodactyl

Re: My Evolving Nikon Microphot FX

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:11 am

Quite a nice piece of kit! I love these bulky no-holds-barred research scopes. They make one feel like a real researcher doing real science even when you're just looking at pine pollen.

Sure Squintsalot

#3 Post by Sure Squintsalot » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:22 am

Nice looking unit...Funny how all those scopes of that generation all had the charm of a Soviet-style apartment block, though they worked much better. You got any plans for that prehistoric photo technology built into the base?

How did you get a Nikon tech to come out to your place? They sound like mythical creatures only seen wandering the hushed halls of The Ivory Towers.

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:13 am

Impressive job and a beautiful microscope. Clean and functional looking. I understand that the 25-pin cable is needed for various camera controls within the base. Which are now obsolete...
There is a free to download manual for repair of the body - including focus mechanisms - of the Optiphot. Could it be relevant to Microphot as well ?

What lies underneath the yellow cap ? a port for epi-illumination that includes a 45 degrees mirror ?

Finelld

#5 Post by Finelld » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:50 pm

Answering some questions…

I live in San Antonio,TX. I am fortunate that there is a microscope repair shop in an adjacent town which is factory authorized for many of the big manufacturers. This makes sense as San Antonio has a huge medical school and medical complex. This repair service has been around for decades.

As far as the prehistoric camera controls in the base, right now the only thing they are being used for is controlling the light. The light plugs into the power supply and the power supply connects to the base with the 25 pin cable I mentioned. But the controls for the light are in the microscope base, not the power supply. I hope to upgrade to a LED light source soon and ditch the external power supply.

I think I forgot yo mention that my 20, 40, and 100x objectives are phase contrast. My 2.5, 4, and 10x objectives are just planoptic. The 20x is a Leica, the 4 and 10 are no name objectives from Amazon, the remainder are Zeiss.

Scarodactyl

#6 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:02 pm

You'll probably get significantly better results with Nikon objectives, since leitz and zeiss both require significant corrections from their respective eyepieces. Even going from nikon to olympus bh2 eyepieces has a huge effect on chromatic aberrations, and olympus had maybe the weakest corrections of the era.

rogeliomoreno

#7 Post by rogeliomoreno » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:17 pm

Beautiful microscope.

I have several Microphot manuals (repair, instruction, schematic parts), let me know if you need any.

Rogelio

Finelld

#8 Post by Finelld » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:30 pm

Underneath the yellow cap is a second camera port for video and medium format. There is a spot underneath the turret towards the back where an EPI/fluorescence illuminator would go. Maybe in a month or so after my wallet recovers.

I got into microscopy for doing fine art photography. The world of microscopy is an area where few photographers tread.