HORIZONTAL?

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Greg Howald

HORIZONTAL?

#1 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:34 am

i AM BEGINNING RESEARCH WITH THE GERMINATION OF SEEDS AND THE GROWING PROCESS OF PLANTS. WE HAVE ALL SEEN THIS IN THE PAST IN A MACRO SETTING, BUT MY DESIRE IS TO DO THIS MICROSCOPICALLY WHILE THE PLANT IS STILL ALIVE TO RECORD ITS GROWTH OVER TIME AND TO COME TO A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF HOW PLANTS GROW.

i HAVE MADE SPECIAL LITTLE POTS TO GROW SEEDLINGS IN AND YOU CAN SEE A SEEDLING OF MORNING GLORY SITTING ON THE HORIZONTAL STAGE IN FRONT OF THE STEREO MICROSCOPE. i HAVE MADE SPECIAL SLIDES WHICH ARE BEING TESTED NOW FOR THEIR USEFULNESS SO I CAN OBSERVE GERMINATION WITH SEEDS IN A VERY THIN VASE OPEN TO THE AIR AND FILLED WITH WATER. I'M DEVELOPPING FLOATS FOR THE SEEDS TO REMAIN AT THE SURFACE OF THE WATER AND I HAVE A HYDRPONIC SET UP.
IN ORDER TO DO THESES THINGS THE SCOPES NEED TO BE MOUNTED IN A HORIZONTAL POSITION SO THAT THE TINY VASES ARE ALLOWED TO REMAIN VERTICAL.
ALL SCOPES ARE AMSCOPE MODELS.

i WILL POST PHOTOS AND DOCUMENTATION OVER TIME, BUT THIS STUDY IS EXPECTED TO TAKE A YEAR OR MORE AND I AM VERY MUCH LOOKING FORWARD TO IT.
Attachments
sw13 horizontal.jpg
sw13 horizontal.jpg (35.77 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
b660 horizontal.jpg
b660 horizontal.jpg (119.75 KiB) Viewed 2085 times

PeteM

Re: HORIZONTAL?

#2 Post by PeteM » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:51 am

Sounds like an interesting project, Greg.

Any idea of how thin a "vase" can still support plant growth? It would be cool if it were in the range of one to three cells thick.

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:57 am

Well, this ought to be fun. I'll look forward to updates.

Greg Howald

#4 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:15 am

Hi Pete and Scar. I am using a microscope slide. Glued to it with water proof glue is a small rectangle made with my 3d printer. On top of that I am placing a very thin piece of clear acrylic, also with water proof glue. The top of the rectangle has been cut off to allow for adding hydrponic water,and a float for the seed. The purpose for this is to document germination. Other sprouts will be germinated for disection and examination of the forming of root tips, root hairs, stems and leaves. All experiments and findings and yes, my many mistakes are to be documented for dissertation to the state naturalist society.

This should be lots of fun and lots of learning.

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:27 am

Greg Howald wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:15 am

This should be lots of fun and lots of learning.
It should indeed, Greg !
… looks like a great project.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'