My newest scope!

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Microworld Steve

My newest scope!

#1 Post by Microworld Steve » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:54 pm

Yesterday the UPS man brought this to my door. :) It's the AmScope B120C E1. :D This is one awesome scope, nice clear viewing, and easy to operate. :mrgreen: For now it's set up on my reloading bench, :| and when I need to reload ammo, I have to move it, or which ever microscope I have sitting on there. :D

If I can't see it with my microscope, it ain't worth looking at. :D

lorez

Re: My newest scope!

#2 Post by lorez » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:42 pm

It's fun to have new toys. Now you can go out and shoot and amoeba to observe.

lorez

Microworld Steve

#3 Post by Microworld Steve » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:44 pm

lorez wrote:It's fun to have new toys. Now you can go out and shoot and amoeba to observe.

lorez
:) Or I can load a .45 Colt with gunpowder and diatoms :D and go hunting for microorganisms. :lol:
Last edited by Microworld Steve on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gekko

#4 Post by gekko » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:51 pm

Very nice new scope. Now you have a dilemma: which one to use?   :)

Charles

#5 Post by Charles » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:56 pm

Nice to get new toys!

Just wondering, how does it compare to your Omax? Are there different features on the Amscope?

Microworld Steve

#6 Post by Microworld Steve » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:01 pm

gekko wrote:Very nice new scope. Now you have a dilemma: which one to use?   :)
Thank you gecko. :) I know about the dilemma, :roll: I have it with my guns. ;) Every hunting season I have to pick out one or two to use, and I have a lot to choose from, both flintlock and modern. :) I also have a dilemma with my radios, ;) do I want to talk on my President Lincoln II, Galaxy, RCI, or Yaesu. :D

I like all of my scopes, even the toys I haven't shown yet. :) They all have their use and place, but still, I like using them all. :mrgreen:

Microworld Steve

#7 Post by Microworld Steve » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:13 pm

Charles wrote:Nice to get new toys!

Just wondering, how does it compare to your Omax? Are there different features on the Amscope?
I like getting new toys. :D My OMAX is a really fine instrument, :) They both have the same 4 objectives, and are both great to use. :) The OMAX has the 10X and 20X oculars, where as the AmScope has the 10X and 25X oculars. :D I can always interchange the oculars, and I can also buy different power oculars for either scope. ;) The AmScope is slightly larger in size and has a little more weight to it. They both have the same features, except for the oculars, but besides that, they're pretty much equal with what they can do. :) I do like the AmScope a tad more, :) it seems like it has a slightly better picture, :) but I don't dislike my OMAX any less. :? :D

The AmScope did come with a 1.3 mp camera, but I already have a 5.0 mp camera, I just need to load it into my laptop and start using it. :D

JimT

#8 Post by JimT » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:38 pm

Microworld Steve, I have the same Amscope with a 3MP USB camera that I almost never use. Definitely stick with the 5MP. If you are like me you will find the 25x oculars useless. Not even heavy enough for a paper weight.

I added a 20x and 60x obj. and upgraded the 4, 10, and 40 to plan obj's.

I think you will be pleased with the Amscope.

JimT

Microworld Steve

#9 Post by Microworld Steve » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:37 pm

JimT wrote:Microworld Steve, I have the same Amscope with a 3MP USB camera that I almost never use. Definitely stick with the 5MP. If you are like me you will find the 25x oculars useless. Not even heavy enough for a paper weight.

I added a 20x and 60x obj. and upgraded the 4, 10, and 40 to plan obj's.

I think you will be pleased with the Amscope.

JimT

Hey Jim, I will use the 5 mp camera, and once I have it installed in my laptop, I can then use it on any of my microscopes, my Swift, OMAX, and either of my AmScopes. I also have the 60X objectives. I have one for my Swift, OMAX, and one on the way for my AmScope. I've been thinking about getting a couple of 20X and put one with my OMAX and the other with my AmScope.

I have seen, and heard about the Plan objectives, but I don't know anything about them. Are they different from the objectives that comes with the microscopes? Are they any better? Seeing as you upgraded to them, there must be something better about them.

I'm already very happy with this AmScope, it's a great microscope for sure. I have a hard case on the way for it, I got it from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Wolfe-Large-Micro ... scope+case I have the same case for my OMAX, so I'll have to label them so I'll know which is which.

JimT

#10 Post by JimT » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:44 pm

Plan objectives provide a flat field of view edge to edge. Really good at lower magnifications and for flat subjects. Because microorganisms are most often viewed in a thicker medium (a drop of water) plan obj's. are less effective at higher magnifications.

Microworld Steve

#11 Post by Microworld Steve » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:05 pm

Ok, now I know the difference. :)

Charles

#12 Post by Charles » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:00 pm

Here are my thoughts, and this is coming from a guy who buys a lot of microscopes.

You already have a Omax compound scope with the same features as the Amscope, so why would you buy another scope with basically the same features as the Omax? It would have made better sense if you wanted a scope that was an upgrade from your current scopes, like a trinocular head, better objectives, different lighting technic like phase or darkfield. I would put the Amscope back in the box and return it and with that money I would buy accessories for the Omax, like a phase kit, upgrade the objectives, get a trinocular head. And the box for the scope, why do you need a second hard storage box for your scope? If it's just for protection from dust and such, why not just a cover? Are you planning on travelling with both scopes? Again the money could be spent on accessories/upgrades for your current scopes.

But go ahead and keep it if you're wanting to just wanting to collect different brands of scopes and money is just burning a hole in your pocket. But there are a lot of better options.

Again, just my thoughts...

Microworld Steve

#13 Post by Microworld Steve » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:09 pm

Hey Charles, I know what you're saying here, and I hear the same thing when I buy another radio or another gun, and I always say the same thing, "I got it because I like it, not that I need it, but I like and I want it." :D When I say radios, I'm talking about ham and exports, and guns, well, that speaks for itself. This is just a hobby, and for now I don't need, but I do want, a high end microscope, and maybe one with phase contrast, but for now I can't justify me getting one. I do have a darkfield condenser and a couple of other objectives for my OMAX, and I'm working on accessories for my AmScope. I'm getting this new hard case so that all of my scopes has it's own case, that way if I want to take a scope with me somewhere, I don't have to empty a case of one and its accessories and put the other one and its accessories in that I want to take. Sort of like my handguns, each one has its own holster, some has two. :) My Swift is in a wooden case, my AmScope stereo scope is in a soft case, my OMAX has a case, and now my AmScope compound will have its own case. :D I like to protect what I have, and a case will do it. When I have a scope out and using it, then I'll cover it up with a dust cover, if not, then it's in a case until the next time I use it. :geek:

I would like something like a Nikon, Olympus, or even a Zeiss microscope, but for now I can't justify spending that kind of money for one, maybe in the future. I do buy radios and guns if I like them, and a few are quite expensive, so why not a top quality microscope. :D Why not, if I see one that I like and can afford, I'll get it. :mrgreen:

Christmas is right around the corner, maybe Santa will be good to me this year. :mrgreen:

Charles

#14 Post by Charles » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:59 pm

Okay Steve! But be warned, this hobby can get very expensive...like gun collecting. :)

Microworld Steve

#15 Post by Microworld Steve » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:49 pm

Oh I know that for sure. :lol: And so is ham radio. I also have a wide assortment of quality harmonicas. :mrgreen:

Dale

#16 Post by Dale » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:14 pm

If it doesn't have patina it ain't a microscope.
K7MPZ
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

Microworld Steve

#17 Post by Microworld Steve » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:35 pm

Dale wrote:If it doesn't have patina it ain't a microscope.
K7MPZ
QSL. :) Well, my Swift does, :) it's an older microscope, but the others are too new for patina. :D

KM4JZJ

JimT

#18 Post by JimT » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:47 pm

I also wondered why you would buy a "Clone" of your Omax but figured you had your reasons.

Please don't play your harmonicas unless you can also play a guitar and sing Bob Dylan songs.

OK, enough of this thread :D

Microworld Steve

#19 Post by Microworld Steve » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:50 am

I can play guitar also, but I play rockabilly and bluegrass. :)

Dale

#20 Post by Dale » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:59 am

No, the thread ends when I pick the high G on my Nechville banjo and slide up to the bridge.
73's Steve
Dale

Microworld Steve

#21 Post by Microworld Steve » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:22 pm

Dale wrote:No, the thread ends when I pick the high G on my Nechville banjo and slide up to the bridge.
73's Steve
Dale
And I grab my Hohner and play along. :D

73's Dale
KM4JZJ I'm QRT and standing by. :D

Mintaka

#22 Post by Mintaka » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:47 pm

What a beaut! Well done!

Dale

#23 Post by Dale » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:28 pm

We should stop before the moderator harps on us.

Microworld Steve

#24 Post by Microworld Steve » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:03 pm

Mintaka wrote:What a beaut! Well done!
Thank you Mintaka. :)

Microworld Steve

#25 Post by Microworld Steve » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:06 pm

Dale wrote:We should stop before the moderator harps on us.
Roger, the moderator may not understand the QSO, QSL?
:D

Dale

#26 Post by Dale » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:47 pm

Well, I feel like I would deserve his censure, however he has been exposed to the rampant humor and terrible puns for a long time. Compared
to the immature attitudes, ignorant statements, and gross language of the average poster on too many other forums this website
has raised the bar higher than the pitch of a string plucked at the 22nd fret!
Have you used the 2500X power yet?
Dale

Microworld Steve

#27 Post by Microworld Steve » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:15 pm

No, I don't think we need to get the moderator after us, at least not for talking in codes. :) If needed, we can always QSY to another one for our QSO's. :mrgreen:

No, I haven't used the 2500X yet, but I will get to it. :)

Are you on QRZ.com?

Steve

JimT

#28 Post by JimT » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:32 pm

Don't be too disappointed with your 25x eyepieces. All you will get is empty magnification. No added resolution.

As I said, they are not even heavy enough to be a good paper weight :)