Starter Microscope

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
ian1357

Starter Microscope

#1 Post by ian1357 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:34 am

I purchased a version ( Telmu microscope xsp-75 ) of the Swift SW 150 form Ebay for $26 shipped new. It arrived today. Seems OK looking through the lower powers, high powers not as good which I half expected.

This was purchased to enable me to dip my toes in, so to speak, in microscopy.

I have noticed that the course zoom is very stiff however the fine zoom is OK. Any hints as to changing the course zoom would be appreciated. But I can live with just using the fine zoom.

I think I will add a Mechanical stage to the platform. Once I determine the centre's of the fixing holes. Just wondering if any body had any experience of the Ali Express versions?

Oh and any advice on this microscope would be helpful.

GerryR

Re: Starter Microscope

#2 Post by GerryR » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:10 pm

When I first purchased the Swift SW200DL, which I recently sold, I found the stage platform was too small for many of the available mechanical stages. I'm not sure how the SW150 compares to the SW200 physically, so you might want to ask questions about dimensions before purchasing a particular mechanical stage to assure it will fit. (I was just getting ready to PM you to find out if you had acquired a 'scope when I saw your post; you did well on the price!) I have no experience with the SW150, so no advice there, but I have found the optics on previously owned Swift models to be quite nice. Have fun and enjoy!

Dennis

#3 Post by Dennis » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:40 pm

If something is actually wrong with the zoom, maybe you can return the item if they accept returns.

ian1357

#4 Post by ian1357 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:30 pm

** Update **
The cheap scope I bought was just that. It initially put me off the hobby. However after several months, I got the urge to look again. I found a discord channel Diet Toms. After several weeks of discussion and on his advice I took the plunge again and purchased a scope from Amscope https://amscope.com/products/c-t400?var ... 8607860911. I recieved this scope a couple of days ago.
After setting it up and looking at some prepared slides my mind was blown. The difference between this scope and my previous one was tremendous. I am now once again looking forward to this journey into this small world.