Everymans's Microscope

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
DaveH

Everymans's Microscope

#1 Post by DaveH » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:27 pm

I thought there might be some interest in a small microscope I have, Described as Everyman's Microscope the Shield Microscope designed by G J Shield appeared in 1959. Designed for use in schools I cant describe it better than the man himself on page 101 of this publication followed by an advert.
http://www.wwwords.co.uk/forum/content/ ... um_1_3.pdf
A spherical lens microscope the lens in this one measures 3.13mm using the simple formula 340 divided by the lens diameter that gives 108.6X, the lens looks remarkably like the end of a glass dropper rod used around that time. the small squares in the background are 10mm.

The prepared slides measure 16mm X 33mm and the specimen is sandwiched between two pieces of 1/64" plastic, a glass tube is used to study water life.

This little Microscope certainly works quite well giving a reasonable image although the glass tube is optimistic a the lens focuses just inside the glass wall of the tube its hit and miss if can find a subject to look at although a glass rod inserted in the tube to thin the sample down might solve the problem.

Dave

Edit some better pics
Last edited by DaveH on Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

75RR

Re: Everymans's Microscope

#2 Post by 75RR » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:33 pm

Hi DaveH, are you using a phone to take these photographs? Can you improve them?
Perhaps some post image processing would help. I am sure the microscope is nicer than it appears!

Interesting article and idea. Should still be relevant today.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:34 pm

terrific 'Lewvenhoek??sp??' style single lens microscope! Funsci.com website has a tutorial on how to make these glass bead lens elements from heated and pulled glass rods or tubes. the formula for the lens performance is as much fun as using this microscope!

As a very young child...I could not express it to adults...but I always marveled at with water droplets on my eyelashes at the bath tub, or at swimming pools...if you looked at light just the right angle...and if you squint just right way...you see moveing trunks of timber...some few of your own eye lashes is what are being viewed and oh so large looking!

Your scope even came with prepared slides...wonderful. Charlie guevara

DaveH

#4 Post by DaveH » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:48 pm

75RR wrote:Hi DaveH, are you using a phone to take these photographs? Can you improve them?
Perhaps some post image processing would help. I am sure the microscope is nicer than it appears!

Hi 75RR
Yes i used a mini iPad, after trying to post this 4 or 5 times I was at the point of giving up, I will take some better pics tomorrow or Saturday and edit the post. The microscope works well I have some 440 micron disposable slides and a sample between 2 pieces is in focus there's no plan objective or wide field eyepiece, but if it was good enough for them it's good enough for me.

Dave

DaveH

#5 Post by DaveH » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:53 pm

charlie g wrote:terrific 'Lewvenhoek??sp??' style single lens microscope! Funsci.com website has a tutorial on how to make these glass bead lens elements from heated and pulled glass rods or tubes. the formula for the lens performance is as much fun as using this microscope!

As a very young child...I could not express it to adults...but I always marveled at with water droplets on my eyelashes at the bath tub, or at swimming pools...if you looked at light just the right angle...and if you squint just right way...you see moveing trunks of timber...some few of your own eye lashes is what are being viewed and oh so large looking!

Your scope even came with prepared slides...wonderful. Charlie guevara
Hi Charlie Guevara

What a great story it's surprising how memories stay with one and make an impression, I have a few more slides and bits with this item. I look at it and think how many eyes have looked through here before me.

Dave

charlie g

#6 Post by charlie g » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:11 pm

Ahhh...but remember Dave...'your first light' with a stand counts too! With microscopes..it's so rich if you know the 'work history' of the stand which you aquire for your ...err...family of stands. this a nifty single lens microscope you show us, thank you again. Charlie guevara

DaveH

#7 Post by DaveH » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:09 pm

75RR wrote:Hi DaveH, are you using a phone to take these photographs? Can you improve them?

Hi 75RR

Some better pics as promised.

Dave

75RR

#8 Post by 75RR » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:24 pm

Indeed! Well done.
Good idea to include the slide and test-tube in viewing position.
There have got to be at least a million kids today who would benefit from this excellent adaptation of Leeuwenhoek's microscope.

I am duplicating the link to the designer's description. See page 101

http://www.wwwords.co.uk/forum/content/ ... um_1_3.pdf
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)