Nikon Microphot

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
einman

Nikon Microphot

#1 Post by einman » Mon May 01, 2023 1:33 am

So I just picked up a few scopes from a local University auction. The most exciting one was a Nikon Microphot which appears to be practically new. It is missing both power supplies for the epi as well as the brightfield. Anyone having either for sale please let me know. I am primarily interested in the Nikon PSM-4 power supply. I will not go into detail on this stand as it has been described in other posts. I would like to keep it as original as possible thus my wanting the original power supplies.

Given it is motorized and designed for film cameras etc it is a bit impractical. However, it is nevertheless an impressive stand. Given I paid less than $350 for the whole lot I believe I made out quite well. The objectives alone are well worth more than the cost, not to mention the other Zeiss Stands that were included in the lot ie a Zeiss invertoscope and another older black Zeiss stand which I have not yet identified. I will post a pic for assistance later. Here it is:Image

einman

Re: Nikon Microphot

#2 Post by einman » Mon May 01, 2023 3:47 am

I thought the Leitz Diaplan was heavy but like people have said this is a beast!

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon May 01, 2023 6:40 am

Congrats, it looks like a real beast. I bet you will have fun with it.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Mon May 01, 2023 6:54 am

If you can't find the power supply, there's always this:

https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... hp?t=15299

Good luck - it's a great scope.

Phill Brown

#5 Post by Phill Brown » Mon May 01, 2023 9:26 am

Definitely got lucky.
External PSU will turn up, saved search on the bay or just knowing what you are looking at helps.
The all in cost for what you will have will still be a big win.

einman

#6 Post by einman » Tue May 02, 2023 12:41 am

Thanks everyone. Yes, I have a search saved on E-bay. Hopefully I will not have to resort to gutting the stand to make it useable. I can wait.

einman

#7 Post by einman » Tue May 02, 2023 12:45 am

Thanks Pete. yes I read your post prior to purchasing! You, however, appear to be more mechanically and electronically gifted than I am. Worth a try if I cannot preserve it as is.

Crater Eddie

#8 Post by Crater Eddie » Tue May 02, 2023 4:25 pm

Holy cow, you made out like a bandit there!
Good to see you active on the forum.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

einman

#9 Post by einman » Tue May 02, 2023 6:14 pm

Thanks! Yeah I have been absent for a while. I missed the discussions! LOL..I retired last year and live half the year in Costa Rica. We own a restaurant there. I have been pretty busy but trying to get back to the forum more often and the hobby in general. I will be selling some stands as I have downsized my lab. Actually I was quite shocked I won this auction. I generally get outbid most of the time. It was close enough to drive and pick up, thus avoiding the incredible shipping costs. Oh oh I mentioned shipping ...yeah I missed you too Phil..LOL.

How is that BH-2 treating you! That was a heck of a deal as well!

KurtM

#10 Post by KurtM » Thu May 04, 2023 1:06 am

Nice scope, but even nicer to see einman and CE, a couple of MH 'veterans'. I always wonder whatever became of Gecko...?
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

PeteM

#11 Post by PeteM » Thu May 04, 2023 8:21 pm

einman wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 12:45 am
Thanks Pete. yes . . .
Einman, to get started (if you don't find the Nikon supply with all its connectors to power the 35mm film automation), you could get an external 100-watt power supply and run a two-wire cable directly to the bulb. Both Zeiss and Leitz 100-watt power supplies are variable and pretty cheap used. There are also some affordable Chinese ones, but I'd suggest getting more like 150-200 watt spec to handle the inrush current.

Then leave everything else as is until a Nikon supply shows up. The only function you'd be missing for using a digital camera is that there is a rotating prism at the back rear to select one of three camera ports. You could manually rotate it to the port you wanted or just use the front top camera port. This scope has a choice of four (!) camera ports.

It looks like you have a very good set of objectives as part of that bargain. You'll also love the built-in mag changer and the two-speed fine focus. Sometimes DIC for this scope shows up somewhat affordably as well.

einman

#12 Post by einman » Fri May 05, 2023 3:34 am

Thanks Pete. I just happen to have a Leitz power supply that should work. I will give your suggestion a try!

einman

#13 Post by einman » Fri May 05, 2023 3:34 am

Thanks Kurt. I hope to get back into the thick of things!

Crater Eddie

#14 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri May 05, 2023 6:24 pm

einman wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 6:14 pm
How is that BH-2 treating you! That was a heck of a deal as well!
Congrats on the retirement! I hope to be able to do that in a few years. The BH-2 continues to give brilliant service, it is my go-to instrument for great views and ease of use. Yes, it was a better deal than I could ever have expected to find. I still putter about with the LOMO scopes occasionally, mainly when I am in the mood for tinkering.
CE

KurtM wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 1:06 am
Nice scope, but even nicer to see einman and CE, a couple of MH 'veterans'. I always wonder whatever became of Gecko...?
Hey Kurt, glad to see you here too! I haven't been checking in much these last few years, life gets crowded sometimes. I haven't heard from Gekko in quite some time, my hope is that he is happily living the good life somewhere and having a great time.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB