Converting a Nice BH-2 into a Nasty Frankenscope??

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
viktor j nilsson

Re: Converting a Nice BH-2 into a Nasty Frankenscope??

#31 Post by viktor j nilsson » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:14 am

Oh, and the rotating stages I own are designed so that the center of rotation is at the center of the field of view, so it follows along as you chase live critters around the slide.

My Vanox AH round pol rotating stage with centering mechanism lets you adjust the center of rotation so carefully that what's in the center of the field doesn't move at all as you rotate the stage. My Vanox AH square, non-centering rotating stage won't let you adjust the center of rotation, but it's built well enough that the center of rotation is nicely at the center of the field at all magnifications.

woyjwjl

#32 Post by woyjwjl » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:43 am

viktor j nilsson wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:09 am
woyjwjl wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:11 am
you can't rotate the condenser
Theoretically feasible, the different magnification prisms become separate components.
viktor j nilsson wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:14 am
Oh, and the rotating stages I own are designed so that the center of rotation is at the center of the field of view, so it follows along as you chase live critters around the slide.

My Vanox AH round pol rotating stage with centering mechanism lets you adjust the center of rotation so carefully that what's in the center of the field doesn't move at all as you rotate the stage. My Vanox AH square, non-centering rotating stage won't let you adjust the center of rotation, but it's built well enough that the center of rotation is nicely at the center of the field at all magnifications.
Yes, that's probably why it's expensive.....

And it's hard to imagine my stubby fingers fiddling with those two miniature knobs above the stage. :shock:

In summary:

For biological targets in ponds illuminated by transmitted light, a rotating condenser is more sensible.
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange

viktor j nilsson

#33 Post by viktor j nilsson » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:22 am

I don't agree at all. For biological targets I much prefer my rotating square stage:
IMG_20220704_101843_800x.jpg
IMG_20220704_101843_800x.jpg (99.29 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

woyjwjl

#34 Post by woyjwjl » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:47 am

The following represent personal feelings only.

For dead targets, as your pictures show.

At 40 and above magnification.

The fixed knob must be locked after each rotation of the square stage, otherwise the viewport will jump unbearably with any finger contact.

I can no longer complain about this tedious operation.

What do you make me do with ciliates that scurry around?

Our bickering washes away the haze of spam and I'm happy!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (71.63 KiB) Viewed 1880 times
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange

Sure Squintsalot

#35 Post by Sure Squintsalot » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:36 pm

Yeah, cool scope.

But that mill is bitchin'.

viktor j nilsson

#36 Post by viktor j nilsson » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:12 pm

woyjwjl wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:47 am
The following represent personal feelings only.

For dead targets, as your pictures show.

At 40 and above magnification.

The fixed knob must be locked after each rotation of the square stage, otherwise the viewport will jump unbearably with any finger contact.

I can no longer complain about this tedious operation.

What do you make me do with ciliates that scurry around?

Our bickering washes away the haze of spam and I'm happy!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Haven't really noticed that the stage jumps around that much when the knob is unlocked, but I think I've regreased it with a bit stiffer grease than the original. But I'll definitely pay attention to it next time. I only got the square stage recently, as my Vanox originally came with the much rarer round rotating stage. I waited patiently for a good deal on the standard square stage and finally found one locally two months ago.

Anyway, I can understand if you prefer rotating the condenser when you're doing oblique. But with DIC, you really need to rotate the stage.

woyjwjl

#37 Post by woyjwjl » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:06 am

First of all congratulations on getting the AH, a higher grade microscope.

I also note the instruction manual: in the case of the DIC, the rotating stage is the recommended way.

However, I have reason to think that the rotating condenser is the "more flexible" way and that there is no difference between DIC and oblique illumination. What is more important is that the cost of a rotary condenser is lower than that of a rotary stage.

The premise is: each DIC prism is independent, not multiple prisms mounted in a turret. As for the polariser not rotating with the prisms, this is much easier to resolve.

This should be easier to understand if you have dismantled and modified a rotating condenser.

Another way of explaining "more flexible": the R-axis (rotation) of the three variables (X-axis, Y-axis, R-axis) is independent and at the same time cost-acceptable.

KurtM

#38 Post by KurtM » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:17 am

Different things work for different people. I my case the Zeiss rotating biological stage is the only show in town because it's relatively easy to obtain, relatively inexpensive for what it is, and very familiar to me and my fingers. You see, I keep three microscopes in routine use, and have equipped each with its own Zeiss rotating stage of the same era. So not only do I get the functionality I want and need on each stand, but also no mental gymnastics required to remember which knobs do what when I switch from one stand to another. It works splendidly well for me.

Remember the Golden Rule v 2.0: Do whatever works best for you.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/