Reflective set up procedure

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Plasmid

Reflective set up procedure

#1 Post by Plasmid » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:50 pm

Can anyone explain the way to set up reflective lighting on a Laborlux K using a tungsten bulb?
There is a small window in front of the microscope but not quite sure how to use it..
Also do I need a condenser for reflective light? Or just place a dark background under the slide?
Last edited by Plasmid on Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

eKretz2

Re: Reflective set up procedure

#2 Post by eKretz2 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:37 pm

As I understand it, the epi lens itself acts as the condenser in reflective microscopy. I can't help with the specifics for your particular scope's lighting, but as far as backgrounds, try experimenting. I have used both light and dark backgrounds, and even a mirror at times, depending on the subject.

PeteM

Re: Reflective set up procedure

#3 Post by PeteM » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:04 am

Be useful to see more of your setup. That epi illuminator is new to me. The other Leitz ones I've seen from that era don't have the little circular window in front. One is a squared-off version just for BF/DD. The other I've seen has a rounded front with space for both BF/DF and fluorescent cubes.

In any case you'll need a light source at the end of the illuminator and a mirror cube that can both reflect light down through the objective and on to the specimen and then gather that reflected light through the objective, past the half mirror, and into the head.

Given the extra space of the illuminator you'll need either an infinity-adapting head, objectives with something like 210mm finite focal distance, or a compensating lens (usually adding something like 1.25x magnification) to account for the extra distance