Image separation behavior in through-focus range of a microscope objective lens

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
urbanpiper3

Image separation behavior in through-focus range of a microscope objective lens

#1 Post by urbanpiper3 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:26 am

What might cause this behavior in a (low magnification 2x) objective lens. There seems to be a image separation in different axes as the object goes traverses through the focus plane (working distance plane) from one extreme to the other?
Current theories:
    1. Target is not orthogonal to optical axis - creates a double image as object (USAF1951) traverses through the range of [-Z ... focus ... +Z], thus causing a double image of the chrome pattern?
      2. some parallel plate within a converging beam path is giving rise to what looks like astigmatism ? (There is a parallel plate in a converging beam path within the objective lens)

Looking for possible references/journals/papers on why this happens. Is it possible to model this in zemax?
      PS: Looking at group 4/element 4 on a USAF1951 target if that helps.
      Mucho gracias -
      James Blackwood

MichaelG.

Re: Image separation behavior in through-focus range of a microscope objective lens

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:04 am

A very interesting video … I have downloaded it for frame-by- frame inspection, as I think some study of the best-focussed frame might give us some clues.

MichaelG.
      Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

Re: Image separation behavior in through-focus range of a microscope objective lens

#4 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:45 am

It needed some ‘faffing about’ to look at the individual frames; because the linked “video” is an animated GIF

Here [having converted the GIF to a movie] is what I believe to be the overall-sharpest individual frame [at 00:09]
      4-46.jpeg
      4-46.jpeg (78.38 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
      There has been a lot of digital processing involved, but it looks pretty good.

Scrolling through the frames from 00:07 to 00:11 reveals the double-imaging quite well, especially on the number 4

MichaelG.
      Too many 'projects'

patta

#5 Post by patta » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:06 am

I'd vote as well astigmatism (and/or coma)
      it happens on the center of the field, so there may be miscollimation or misalignment of some lens.

You can raytrace with zemax and other, shift or tilt one of the lenses off-axis

MichaelG.

#6 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:04 pm

Forgive my ignorance, please … but can you describe how ‘astigmatism (and/or coma)’ produces a distinct double image.
      I have always thought of their effects as quite subtle, in an ‘Analogue’ sort of way.

Many thanks
      MichaelG.
      Too many 'projects'