New to the hobby but have experience with microscopy

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Husker

New to the hobby but have experience with microscopy

#1 Post by Husker » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:57 am

I'm in my 50's and a physician and used to look at pathology slides quite often when I was in medical school and residency. However, I never looked at the actual type of microscope or studied the anatomy of the microscope. Would like to start looking at tissue samples again, but also very interested in getting to look at different crystal formations and polarized microscopy. I have been told darkfield is the way to go with the crystals, but I don't know enough about microscopes to know what kind will allow me to do medical slides (staining techniques) as well as hobby stuff with crystals. I also want to take pics and video so a trinocular would obviously be a part of the equation here.
I just don't know if you can convert a regular scope to darkfield or is do I need 2 microscopes?
Any advice?
Thanks

PeteM

Re: New to the hobby but have experience with microscopy

#2 Post by PeteM » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:29 am

Welcome. Generally speaking, the compound microscopes used for histology will also work for very thinly prepared crystals (dissolved and let dry). Also good for thinly prepared petrographic sections. A top quality scope from when you first studied histology is likely a good choice still today and available at a fraction of the original cost.

Chemical and rock crystals can be amazing. I'd suggest simple polarization to start (very easy to add to most scopes), then darkfield as well (pretty easy to add up to about 200x). Special darkfield condensers are required for higher magnifications - and those are commonly available for the better ranges of "system" microscopes. So you might need a second condenser, but not a second microscope.

Lots of excellent choices out there. You might check some past threads, since "which microscope?" is a commonly asked and answered question -- and at different price levels. I can send you a fairly extensive guide (PDF via email) to various over a hundred brands and models (and the pros and cons) once you have enough post send a message here.

Being able to record images adds to the enjoyment for many. Some of your choices depend on the quality level of photos (and videos, if things like protists) you might hope to capture.

Husker

#3 Post by Husker » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:54 am

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I like the fact that I can do most everything with one scope and just use accessories to change the type of study I am looking at.
I would greatly appreciate a list of recommended microscopes to look at. Would save me a lot of time. These posts and replies here on this forum are tremendous and very helpful.
Thanks for your time and expertise.

Kent
Last edited by Husker on Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:52 am

Hi Kent, Guide should be on its way. You might want to remove your email. Bots probably don't bother harvesting addresses for Microbe Hunter, but you never know. The guide is a work in progress, so I'll appreciate any ideas to make it more useful.

Husker

#5 Post by Husker » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:55 am

Thanks for your help. I will look at all this over the next couple days and I will also remove the email. Thanks
Kent

Maryfox

#6 Post by Maryfox » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:33 pm

There is a FaceBook group called "Crystal Art Photomicrography" If you're not on FaceBook, it may be worthwhile for you to join and participate in this group - or at least look at the photos. You can join FaceBook without revealing anything that you do not want known to the world.
It is amazing the images that come from everyday items including salt, sugar, Epsom Salts, Boric acid (eye wash) and many others.
Polarization is a simple process requiring nothing more complex than lenses from 3D glasses. Or very cheap polarizing sheets are available online
Every sample is different. It is great fun.

Greg Howald

#7 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:47 pm

I purchase my scopes from Amscope. Their scopes are good quality for reasonable prices but keep your questions on this forum. never call Amscope for customer aid. They sell microscopes and tons of accessories but all they do is go by SKU numbers. They know nothing at all about microscopes.
if you want a scope with 23mm eyepieces I suggest a B490. Many accessories available for it. A more robust scope which I own is a B660. it is much larger and has 30mm eyepieces. Both provide excellent imagery. I use the scope for hours a day and prefer the larger scope to reduce eye strain.
Greg

Husker

#8 Post by Husker » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:22 am

I know it has been a few months and sporadically I have been trying to learn as much as I can about scopes again.
I can't bring myself to make a decision. So many choices and every time I get close to choosing something another looks better or different, etc.
I like the idea of the Amscope T490 but what is the difference between the 490 and the 490B?
Also when I looked at this one I then saw the Swift Compound Trinocular Microscope SW380T. How does this compare? These are around $500-750. I don't care if I need to spend around 2-3x that to get a decent scope that is able to be modified to other needs as they arise. (of course who am I kidding? I don't even know what those needs are.LOL)
Biggest thing I would like to do right now is be able to capture pictures digitally with as much detail as possible and be able to analyze and map them digitally.

Was even looking at the ability to do 3D imaging crystals. Is that a completely different type of microscope?

Thanks for your input and patience.
Kent

natedoggraymond

#9 Post by natedoggraymond » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:39 am

Husker wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:22 am
I like the idea of the Amscope T490 but what is the difference between the 490 and the 490B?
Also when I looked at this one I then saw the Swift Compound Trinocular Microscope SW380T. How does this compare?
Hi Kent! I don't currently own a microscope, but I am also very interested in the Amscope T490 and based on my research online, the 490B simply has an additional pair of 20x eyepieces on top of the 10x that the 490 has. This is consistent with Amscope's naming scheme. You'll see that the 490A has 16x eyepieces and the 490C has 25x eyepieces.

As far as the difference between the 490 and the SW380T, also from my research online, it seems like the 490 has better expandability (darkfield, phase contrast, etc.)

Good luck!

zzffnn

#10 Post by zzffnn » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:29 pm

I would recommend starting with DIC in your shoes. That comes with darkfield like effects and Pol usually. You can DIY adapt DF condenser if you are handy, but adapting DIC is harder. Budget around 1300 USD for DIC and about 500 USD for 5 objectives. Look into PZO.