Fuzzy Image

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Plasmid

Fuzzy Image

#1 Post by Plasmid » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:03 am

I cant seem to figure out why im getting a better quality with a non compatible objective!
My platform is a Microstar IV, came with Neoplan objectives. My 10x .25 cat #1756 objective produces a somewhat fuzzy image, specially when compared to a 10x .25 DIN objective that I salvaged from an older AbCO microscope, keep in mind both objectives are being compared on the Microstar.I have cleaned the objective in question and yet cant seem to get the same quality, even more noticeable when using a darkfield stoppatch filter. This does not happen with any of the other objectives, on the contrary I get a much better quality with the 4, 40 amd 100 Neoplans . Is there something that can be causing this or is it a known problems with the #1756?

Plasmid

Re: Fuzzy Image

#2 Post by Plasmid » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:17 am

The objective in question

BramHuntingNematodes

#3 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:25 am

If you got a stereo microscope you could look down the objective to see if there is internal damage. It's not rare that there is.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Plasmid

#4 Post by Plasmid » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:59 am

No Stereo unfortunately, closer inspection of the exposed lens shows no damage on the outside, would internal dust be the cause?

Greg Howald

#5 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:30 am

Internal dust could be the problem. But it would be unusual. Most of the time these things tend to stay clean inside. I suggest the following:
1. You could blow into it with dry air. Cover you mouth with a handkerchief. (not a tissue!) and blow into it. It may improve.
2. By all means remove the head of the microscope.
Some scopes have a lens or prism mounted directly under the head. Others do not. If it has no lens you will be able to see directly into the objective aligned with the eyepiece. If that is true you should remove all objective lenses and clean the head and nosepiece entirely to make sure no dust can get down there.
3. I recently had a similar problem with a 40x objective.
The grain of dust on the exterior of the lens was so small I could only see it with my petrographic scope. I removed the dust by twisting the corner of a lens cleaner into a point to actually touch the lens and remove the foreign object.
Try these things. If I can help I will.
Greg