ASC Question

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Plasmid

ASC Question

#1 Post by Plasmid » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:38 pm

Is there such a thing as an ASC Plan Achro or APO, I found regular achromats but no plan apo or plan acro.?
How do they work, and is there any trade off in using them with certain techniques like filters or stains.? I would imagine a Gram stain would require sunglasses to avoid blindness 😅

Scarodactyl

Re: ASC Question

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:21 pm

I haven't heard this term before. Motic's "achromatic super contrast"? I'm having trouble finding literature on it from a brief google, but it sounds like a pretty meaningless marketing term, maybe something to make their plain achromats sound more appealing.

microb

#3 Post by microb » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:48 pm

Obviously it's this "American Society of Cinematographers" Ok fine -- it probably isn't. But I tried...

"The Leica M10-P "ASC 100 Edition" is a special homage to cinematographers. Celebrating the 100th anniversary of the American Society of Cinematographers, the camera set is designed with director's eye in mind. The series is limited to only 300 sets worldwide."

https://leicacamerausa.com/leica-m10-p- ... 7wQAvD_BwE

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:43 pm

I suspect they've (Motic?) changed lens coatings for something a tiny bit better at preserving contrast? You see this a lot at the high end (UIS2 vs UIS for example in the Olympus line) where it actually makes a difference for pro users in the UV range etc..

Plasmid

#5 Post by Plasmid » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:08 am

:lol:
microb wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:48 pm
Obviously it's this "American Society of Cinematographers" Ok fine -- it probably isn't. But I tried...

"The Leica M10-P "ASC 100 Edition" is a special homage to cinematographers. Celebrating the 100th anniversary of the American Society of Cinematographers, the camera set is designed with director's eye in mind. The series is limited to only 300 sets worldwide."

https://leicacamerausa.com/leica-m10-p- ... 7wQAvD_BwE