trinocular stereoscope's camera tube is dark

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
selou

trinocular stereoscope's camera tube is dark

#1 Post by selou » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:18 am

Hi!

I have just started with microscopes and have bought a trinocular stereomicroscope because I wanted to take pictures through it. The problem is that when I have attached the camera to the third tube everything is dark. The eyepieces where I can see with my eyes are okay showing the luminated object. I have unscreawed the tube and when I look down I can see a mirror. Can anybody here tell me what is going on? Thank you so much in advance!

/Louise

75RR

Re: trinocular stereoscope's camera tube is dark

#2 Post by 75RR » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:57 am

Hi selou,
Can you post some images and details of the trinocular stereomicroscope. Make, model, year, if new or used, where you got it from etc...
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

gekko

#3 Post by gekko » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:44 pm

Perhaps you are overlooking a lever or other control that "switches" the light path between the eyepieces and phototube? [I see that lorez, see next post, explained it so much better that I did!]
Last edited by gekko on Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lorez

#4 Post by lorez » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:49 pm

In many cases there is a sliding prism that captures the light from one of the eyepieces. The prism is positioned by a push rod that protrudes from the side of the body. If your scope is used it may be that the rod is immoveable because the lubricant has dried. When the prism is in the light path there may be no light to the eyepiece because all the light is directed to the photo tube.

lorez

selou

#5 Post by selou » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:03 am

Hi!
Thank you so much for the replies :)
I found the lever. Now things are going much better. I was a bit surprised on the prism thing, do anyone know if there are trinoculars that allow viewing with two eyepiecies during use of the third camera tube?

//L

The QCC

#6 Post by The QCC » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:10 am

Yes there are microscopes that view through both the photo tube and eyepiece at the same time.

My Labomed LB-592 when using the eyepiece can also view through the photo tube.
This feature allows the use of a teaching head to be mounted in the photo tube.